Neverwinter Nights Multiplayer Server 24x7 Now with NWN and NWN:EE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blanking out classes and levels on log in

5 posters

Go down

Blanking out classes and levels on log in Empty Blanking out classes and levels on log in

Post  Elgate Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:40 am

I think this has been suggested before, but I think it's a good idea. It helps prevent that accidental metagaming we all do; when we find out someone's class and level OOCly and ICly react to such. Like avoiding getting into a fight with a higher level, not because your character knows they're stronger, but because you do. And likewise feeling confident enough putting a lower level 'in their place' not because of any overconfidence on your characters part, but because you know you could take them OOCly. Finding out a character is an assassin and distrusting them, when ICly they have given no reason to be suspicious.

This also just makes RP more enjoyable- because you get to be surprised and (often) find out about other characters more in character which strengthens the immersion.

And I do think we've all done this- I admit I've done it, even though I try not to. No one wants to live down the embarrassment of ICly challenging the level 40 as a level 20 and being bested in a few hits- so even though our character might not know any better, we still act as the little voice in their head going "Dude! lvl 40- ur gonna get pwned!".

I'm not sure how over servers have done it, and if it's a hak or not, but if it is not, could this be put on the to do list? (obviously low priority)
Elgate
Elgate
Forum Sage

Female Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2011-01-31

Character sheet
Character Name: Grace Fennerset
Race: Human
Overall Level: 30

Back to top Go down

Blanking out classes and levels on log in Empty Re: Blanking out classes and levels on log in

Post  Animayhem Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:59 am

I can go either way with this. You as a player need to make yourself available for rp. I try and interact with all types. However there is a good reason to know ahead of time, especially level wise as here getting xp depends on whom you are with and the amount of level difference.Granted rp is the thing, but lets be honest when you are a lower level you seek this to advance. If it is not listed publically, people may still send you tells asking at least what level you are. Even if they are removed and you find out in game and in character what class a person is there is still baggage you caryy maybe having played against simular classes before, either as your own character or other places.
There are ways to show higher levels without smak downs such as crafting skills or maybe the type of gear and equipment you wield. It may be a tad difficult to do here with all the custom scripting. One one wrold I play they only have a custom head pak and use basic nwn and they have this.
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Number of posts : 2213
Registration date : 2010-07-11

Character sheet
Character Name: Charia/Arys
Race: Half-Elf
Overall Level: 30/30

Back to top Go down

Blanking out classes and levels on log in Empty Re: Blanking out classes and levels on log in

Post  DM Drachen Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:26 pm

I suggested this before. If I remember correctly, it got knocked down due to the fact that people can simply be punished for metagaming your classes. This being said, I still want this.
DM Drachen
DM Drachen
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 683
Registration date : 2011-01-07

Character sheet
Character Name:
Overall Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM_ODA Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:53 pm

Friends,
Last time I checked the only way to address this was with NWNX - let me know if that has changed. To the best of my knowledge this is not something scripting handles nor something a in game setting changes either. I'm not at all interested in running NWNX, not for love nor money. To my recollection, it is authored by a fellow calling himself 'virusman.ru' and utilizes a dangerous method known as DIRECT MEMORY INJECTION - having this sort of tool on your system is OK when you need to use it for a specific task, but a real danger should hackers gain control of it. I do not trust the nwnx code at all. If there is another way to accomplish the request, let me know.

All that said the data being displayed does have a useful purpose; one can choose which PC to play based on it as in "Oh, there are four level 7ish PCs online, I'll get my level 6 druid to see if they will PARTY for adventure with me." Is it really worth loosing that window on the game to avoid metagaming (which I'm not seeing much of via that method - are you?).

Be well. Game on.
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Male Number of posts : 3070
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Firkin Alechugger
Race: Dwarf
Overall Level: 11

https://web.archive.org/web/20151106073532/http://playnwn.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  LordSurge Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:02 pm

The benefits of having it displayed greatly outweigh the drawbacks. People will meta-game one way or another if that's the sort of person they are.
LordSurge
LordSurge
Forum Knight

Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2010-11-19

Character sheet
Character Name: Zeff Trom
Overall Level: 40

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down