Neverwinter Nights Multiplayer Server 24x7 Now with NWN and NWN:EE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In Game Time

5 posters

Go down

How would you want time to be RPed?

In Game Time Vote_lcap45%In Game Time Vote_rcap 45% 
[ 5 ]
In Game Time Vote_lcap0%In Game Time Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
In Game Time Vote_lcap18%In Game Time Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 2 ]
In Game Time Vote_lcap0%In Game Time Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
In Game Time Vote_lcap36%In Game Time Vote_rcap 36% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 11

In Game Time Empty In Game Time

Post  Elgate Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:32 am

As the clock is going to be fixed soon, I was hoping we could all get a general agreement on how to RP the flow of time. Currently some people are trying to acknowledge the IG flow of time by using more general estimations of time (Such as, if you had an event yesterday in RL, you might say 'the other night' or ' that recent happening', instead of 'yesterday/last night'), while others are using RL time flow.

The RL to IG time flow as I know it is:

8 mins RL= 1 hour IG
3 hours 12 mins (192 mins) = 1 day
22 hours 24 mins (roughly 1 day) = 1 week
3 days 17:32 hours= 1 month (Every IG month only has 30 28 days with New Moon on 1st of month)
roughly 45 days= 1 year (Game year =336 days)

For instance.. based on the fact I started playing Grace around Feb 2013, that'd be 255 days... so  about 5 years IG. I started playing Grace when she was 21, so she'd now be 26. And I do roleplay her as that.

However I understand that if one person chooses to RP their character aging according to IG time, then it causes discrepancies if another character RP ageing according to RL time. Or not at all.

Benefits of RP IG time:
Allows for better time flow, especially as pregnancy and the like is a thing. No one wants to be stuck pregnant for 9 months RL.
Fits the time flow of the game- hard to ignore the cycle of night and day.
Stops people from clinging to characters -forever-. Eventually that character will die of old age.
We get to seen generations of characters play. We may even get to play our characters own grandchildren. A legacy of heroes.
Makes for more realism in the sense that it's not going to take a couple of minutes to trek across a whole province.

Benefits of RL time:
We can't be online all the time- our characters just seem to only pop up every few days out of a week while and are missing while we do RL things.
It's easy to remember- no having to get out a calculator to figure out how much time this and that will take.
Characters who are races with shorter lifespans suffer more from IG time- some monstrous player characters would be dead within a RL year from IG time rules.
Makes for more realism with social RP- we won't have really spent a whole day chatting what only took us an hour to discuss RL.

Last edited by Elgate on Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : editted to fix IG month and Year duration)
Elgate
Elgate
Forum Sage

Female Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2011-01-31

Character sheet
Character Name: Grace Fennerset
Race: Human
Overall Level: 30

Back to top Go down

In Game Time Empty Re: In Game Time

Post  Shar Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:59 am

I use a "Modified IG Time frame" myself.

What i do is RP time as IG time overall. but WHILE i am RPing i don't "act" like i have been talking for 3 days. Still that's really just semantics i try to stick to game time as much as i can.

As far as ageing.. I feel that that is the players choice and Oda has said the same. it is optional. Ne started as 18 so i guess hes around 24 now but being extra-plainer (as well as a odd bloodline) he wont really age the same anyway...

Anyway... That's just my thoughts
Shar
Shar
Forum Vizier

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2012-01-15

Character sheet
Character Name: Ne'Sekoleth
Race:
Overall Level: 20

Back to top Go down

Post  GunpowderHater Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:14 am

I've always Rped according to the IG time, since my first day on Arelith. My immersion there was such, I even Rped the aging, remaking my chars as they got older to reflect the recess of the physical stats, and the increase of the intelectual ones. Whilst this is not practical to most, it's something I've always found pleasing, because I like Rping my char's advancement into old age, possible descendancy, and eventual death.

Whilst I don't usually support this level of strictness applied onto everyone else, in this case I open an exception, mainly due to my past experiences in servers like Arelith, here I played a char from his early 20s all the way to his 70s, and then retirement. It was enlighting, and something I've never done before untill that point, and I'd like to repeat it sometime. Plus, a server needs some ground rules and guidelines, and this should be one.

Gun\Ymim

EDIT: If Rping according to the IG time is applied, I'd like to suggest that it would maybe be a good idea to set a means to check the date other than the compass. It doesn't show the year, just the months and the days. Perhaps an extra option added to the rest menu you can click to know the exact IG time is in order.

GunpowderHater
Abusive User
Abusive User

Female Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2011-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:43 am

I think ,in my opinion, maybe make the time in easier increments? Easier to remember?
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Number of posts : 2213
Registration date : 2010-07-11

Character sheet
Character Name: Charia/Arys
Race: Half-Elf
Overall Level: 30/30

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyBrown15 Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:51 am

At this time we do have the option to RP Aging, but its not required, there is even a IG system for it, however the way IG time works versus RL time can cause difficulties with conversations versus travelling and questing, its hard to decide, relying soley on IG time causes its own difficulties as well as focusing soley on RL time. The mix is usually best based on player preference, remember it is not a perfect system and as stated before, your not going to talk for day on end, but you also don;t cross a province in a few minutes.
BobbyBrown15
BobbyBrown15
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 521
Location : Roseville, MN, USA (not online tuesdays, fridays or saturdays)
Registration date : 2012-09-28

Character sheet
Character Name: Vashan Wilkina
Race: Human
Overall Level: 28 Total (19 Sorc/9 RDD)

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:44 am

Thats true but a more simplified calculation helps to gauage either way.
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Number of posts : 2213
Registration date : 2010-07-11

Character sheet
Character Name: Charia/Arys
Race: Half-Elf
Overall Level: 30/30

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content