Neverwinter Nights Multiplayer Server 24x7 Now with NWN and NWN:EE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scrying restrictions

5 posters

Go down

Scrying restrictions Empty Scrying restrictions

Post  Elgate Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:39 am

In DnD scrying was a little bit harder then it is on Arg-reg. Currently, on Arg-reg, you can scry someone multiple times in quick succession, even if you've only bumped into them once and don't even know their name. It's become so common place now, that if you don't have an amulet to protect against it, there's no point in hiding. People seem to do it for fun: if they know you're on, they're going to scry you. No reason why, just that you're on, and their character can scry and they want to know what you're doing.

In DnD it depended on how well you knew the individual and how powerful you were. The subject had a will save, and if the subject succeeded this save, the scry failed. For instance:

The scrier has almost to no knowledge of the subject,  the subject gets a +10 bonus on their will save.
Scrier has secondhand knowledge (has heard something of the subject), subject gets +5.
The scrier has firsthand knowledge(you have met the subject and are an acquaintance), the subject gets no bonus.
The scrier is familiar with the subject ( knows the subject well), the subject gets a –5 penalty of will save.

If the first one (no knowlegde) then you need a 'connection':
Connection
Likeness or picture (Subject –2, but still has the plus 10, so = +8 for subject)
Possession or garment (Subject –4, ''''', = +6 for subject)
Body part, lock of hair, bit of nail, etc. (subject –10, so cancels out the subject's will bonus for being unknown- plain will save)

And if the subject wins the will save, and the scry fails, then the scrier cannot attempt another scry on that subject for 24 hours.

I think this can be incorporated via the 'knowntome' count, if it hasn't already. The second 'connection' bit is harder, and may simply have to be RPed during DM events.

Also, I thought scrying always needed a medium? Like a mirror, or pool of water or holy focus? Yes, you could also carry around certain pocket ingredients that allowed you to scry in place of these other mediums, but you couldn't just scry without a 'medium' of some sort.
Elgate
Elgate
Forum Sage

Female Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2011-01-31

Character sheet
Character Name: Grace Fennerset
Race: Human
Overall Level: 30

Back to top Go down

Scrying restrictions Empty Re: Scrying restrictions

Post  theApparition Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:07 am

I have had an issue with this very thing when I was more active. On all accounts, I agree with your post and feel things should be changed in those regards.

I have asked players, who by no rp right that were scrying me to stop. But was replied with " it lets me do it", so they continued. Lamest excuse for BS. Nevermind logic and what rules the ability actually came from.
Honestly there is a lot of ooc stuff that happens that trigger the grounds to be able to scry someone. (ooc resting, loading into the same room with someone among other things)
the system cant note the many possible factors that would prevent someone from gaining the upper hand on you to be able to scry. No, that's in rp description an IC actions, which are outright ignored by most who scry people. its no fun, and makes myself(and others) not even want to login because they know what to expect from those players.

simply because the system isn't fixed, doesn't mean you should abuse it. and its abused all the time.

I have had rp ruined by this and honestly do not enjoy cleaning up the chaos the METAGAMING causes.
I have also had server secrets stolen from me by meta-scrying (you know who you are, so don't deny it). This is more insulting to me than the overall metagame, but I will not go any further on the matter, id rather keep the peace.

I sincerely hope this gets remedied, because in my opinion its beyond broken
theApparition
theApparition
Supporter
Supporter

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2013-02-05

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Overall Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:53 am

I agree like the resting, scrying option in general should have a time restriction. A'rys has the abilty but rarely uses it. Sometimes it has been ooc to get someone out of jail due to the current system which needs modifciation and is being worked on. One time it was used in character to scry Aria while she was in jail.A'rys and Aria are in the same guild.

Both my characters have been scried on and one has an amulet and one does not. To use scrying to start rp by suddenly appearing should not be done or if you know were they are by scrying you could formulate an rp reason why you were there. You could always send a tell saying you would like to meet.

If you have rped with people and know where they can be usually found then go there without scrying and see if they are there. Most players know A'rys hangs around the college and Tivook and Charia around tivook ,feyview and college.

The reason this came up, is every since they joined, one player has overly used it, interrupted rp.

Sometimes, players come in just to relax from a stressful day, maybe go exploring or enchant stuff.

Having a so called item of the person to do so could work. There is an item in place an ear you acquire if you have killed or mortally wounded someone. However this is double edged as you would have to pickpocket someone I would think and that could be abused and go beyond the "lock of hair"

I think the simpliest way would be allow scrying in general once every three hours or tied in to the person's rest timer. For scrying the same person, once every twelve hours. The scrier would get a message like you already scried this perosn you need to wait twelve hours before scrying them again.
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Number of posts : 2213
Registration date : 2010-07-11

Character sheet
Character Name: Charia/Arys
Race: Half-Elf
Overall Level: 30/30

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:42 pm

*BUMP*  Any action done with this?
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Number of posts : 2213
Registration date : 2010-07-11

Character sheet
Character Name: Charia/Arys
Race: Half-Elf
Overall Level: 30/30

Back to top Go down

Post  Eriniel Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:31 am

For the update:

- Fur or Hair (Scissor retrieved item - scissors can be crafted from iron) or worn clothing is valid item for scrying purposes

- Known 2 me now requires at least 5, thus the Scryer and the PC target must have met a few times (the rest restriction counter will hold this as constant, and resting in OOC areas do not count)
Eriniel
Eriniel
Lead Scripter

Female Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Overall Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM_ODA Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:51 am

Quick question - if a PC is in brb mode - if another PC rests near them, does that rest count toward 'known2me'?
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Male Number of posts : 3070
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Firkin Alechugger
Race: Dwarf
Overall Level: 11

https://web.archive.org/web/20151106073532/http://playnwn.com/

Back to top Go down