Neverwinter Nights Multiplayer Server 24x7 Now with NWN and NWN:EE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

From the Department of Hmmmmm...

4 posters

Go down

From the Department of Hmmmmm... Empty From the Department of Hmmmmm...

Post  GM_ODA Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:25 pm

This may be interesting.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Male Number of posts : 3070
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Firkin Alechugger
Race: Dwarf
Overall Level: 11

https://web.archive.org/web/20151106073532/http://playnwn.com/

Back to top Go down

From the Department of Hmmmmm... Empty Re: From the Department of Hmmmmm...

Post  Animayhem Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:04 pm

Yes it does. It almost sounds like a plan Oda would cook up. Very Happy
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Number of posts : 2213
Registration date : 2010-07-11

Character sheet
Character Name: Charia/Arys
Race: Half-Elf
Overall Level: 30/30

Back to top Go down

Post  DM Althaless Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:21 pm

This is by far one of the best ideas that forum has produced in a long time. Makes a change from the usual junk lol. Go for it IMO a newer cleaner more updated CEP. Whats the downside ?
DM Althaless
DM Althaless
Supporter
Supporter

Male Number of posts : 164
Registration date : 2012-06-14

Character sheet
Character Name: Merente Greyfury
Race: Human
Overall Level: 23

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:26 pm

I think the downside would be worlds that use it to readjust, especially if they use other haks or special scripts.
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Number of posts : 2213
Registration date : 2010-07-11

Character sheet
Character Name: Charia/Arys
Race: Half-Elf
Overall Level: 30/30

Back to top Go down

Post  GM_ODA Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:06 am

Here is what I posted:

I stopped 'updating' my module for CEP versions a long time ago. It is my ernest opinion that CEP should have changed its name when it started co-opting material from other games as it was no longer a 'community' made project but more akin to 'Pirate Soup'.
I am VERY picky about the material I include in the module, I respect IP. Because my DMs can spawn placeables and such in game, even if I do not use the IP from NWN2 (and now I hear WOW) from the CEP as a BUILDER, I cannot fully preclude their use by DMs if the latest CEP is used in my module. Hence, I use CEP 2.1 to this very day.
Please, I LIKE THE MODULAR approach and would consider updating to that IF and ONLY IF all the content that comes from other games were segregated into an optional hak that I could simply omit from the module.
I really applaud the CC makers associated with NWN. Your work is excellent, imaginative, and of generally high quality. One of the finest aspects of this game is that NWN enabled us all to customize a NWN module via haks - your works willingly contributed to the community makes us all better-off. THANK YOU.
The COMMUNITY Expansion Project should be exclusively built of material MADE BY THE COMMUNITY. It is in everyone's best interest here if you segregate the other material and label it as 'use at your own risk'... and that only to maintain backward compatibility.
Many thanks to you TAD and the new CEP Team. I wish you all the best (regardless if we agree or not).
Be well. Game on.
GM_ODA
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
66.232.100.90 (NWN server, requires cep2.1 or better)
24x7 We Bring The Game
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Male Number of posts : 3070
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Firkin Alechugger
Race: Dwarf
Overall Level: 11

https://web.archive.org/web/20151106073532/http://playnwn.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Elgate Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:31 pm

It's certainly a big project. Separating out the 'illegal' content out into 'combatability haks' and trying to fix the bugs of the remaining content is going to be a huge chore (And in some cases, near impossible- some bugs get super glitchy. Anyone seen the ring wraiths and how their robes end up going all the way through the floor and then explode all over the place with the death animation? That's a nasty glitch- the program use to edit the meshes and envelopes can't even open those  creatures to fix them because it's so nasty. So the team that added them in probably just decided the glitch wasn't worth redoing the whole thing.)

Not to mention a lot of the previous CEP team has gone, and as most modders work by using each others work (or core nwn files as a base), that's going to lead to issues. Like the silver half-dragon model was  made by a different person who made the gold half-dragon model, using the other user's gold half-dragon as a base. For mw, before NwN started to close down, I was working on a mod that used the animation base creature from someone elses mod (HardPoints- most of the new dragons are his). But I can't  get in touch with HardPoints in order to ask if it's okay if I use his work. And I figure this goes for a lot of moders- they have bexcome inactive, so other user's cannot ask them for help or permission.
Elgate
Elgate
Forum Sage

Female Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2011-01-31

Character sheet
Character Name: Grace Fennerset
Race: Human
Overall Level: 30

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down