Neverwinter Nights Multiplayer Server 24x7 Now with NWN and NWN:EE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sharing Information Between Characters

+2
Absol 13
Ragdoll_Knight
6 posters

Go down

Sharing Information Between Characters Empty Sharing Information Between Characters

Post  Ragdoll_Knight Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:32 pm

Why is this in "Ask a DM" you might wonder. Well, the answer is quite simple: BECAUSE YOU MUST

Even if it's a logical bridge, or both characters belong to the same faction. From the smallest general knowledge to the biggest secret, NO player can have any character share knowledge with another of their own characters without passing through a DM or having one okay it. (We're pretty good about pm's. Don't be scared)
Ragdoll_Knight
Ragdoll_Knight
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Character sheet
Character Name: Tony
Race: Human
Overall Level: 32

Back to top Go down

Sharing Information Between Characters Empty Re: Sharing Information Between Characters

Post  Absol 13 Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:37 pm

Agreed. Other Wise, it's metagming, and That as we all know, Is not liked here, nonono.
Absol 13
Absol 13
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 695
Registration date : 2012-03-12

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race: Half-Elf
Overall Level:

Back to top Go down

Sharing Information Between Characters Empty Re: Sharing Information Between Characters

Post  Animayhem Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:13 pm

Yes it is a fine line. That is why I normally try not to play more than one.

If I do mention about my other character's it is in gneral based on information heard by others or public forum and in game rp.

I would hope dm's send a pm to the player here to explain.
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Number of posts : 2213
Registration date : 2010-07-11

Character sheet
Character Name: Charia/Arys
Overall Level: 30/30

Back to top Go down

Post  Ragdoll_Knight Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:31 pm

Animayhem wrote:Yes it is a fine line.  That is why I normally try not to play more than one.

If I do mention about my other character's it is in gneral based on information heard by others or public forum and in game rp.

I would hope dm's send a pm to the player here to explain.

A PM is not needed, as this topic explains to the player in question.

Do not mention another one of your characters in RP, or use information between them, unless these characters have PHYSICALLY stood in front of one another IG (with WITNESSES) or a DM has given the okay

Last edited by Ragdoll_Knight on Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ragdoll_Knight
Ragdoll_Knight
Forum Sage

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Hacatsu Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:59 pm

Yep, we all pretty much agree on that.
Hacatsu
Hacatsu
Forum Courtier

Male Number of posts : 394
Registration date : 2013-12-05

Character sheet
Character Name: Drurazor Urnagahaz
Race: Dwarf
Overall Level: 30

Back to top Go down

Post  Elgate Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:31 pm

It is possible to play multiple characters and avoid this.

You just need to sit down and think of your characters as characters in a story and consider a few things:

Would these characters, in any way, know anything of the other character?
Now, for most, probably no. The Char2 is not famous enough, or Char1 is new to the lands and wouldn't even know who the Lord of the land is, let alone Char2.
Even IF Char2 is famous- what's common knowledge? There might be general 'Well, so and so was involved in this really important event', 'Oh that guy is an infamous thief' or 'Char2 is a authority figure of this and that'- but see each of those sentences? That's probably all Char1 is going to ever hear in common hearsay and RPing you have more info without being able to say where you got it (Like Bard tales and books that -ARE- available IG, not just suspected bard tales). Now Char1 might have been told a few tidbits from others- okay, just remember who told you, so if a DM asks, you can refer them.

But generally, not really. Not unless Char2 is super super famous and is a Acerian celebrity.

Do your chars actually know each other and or have possibly ever met?
As an example from my own character vault:
Vrnea and Grace would know each other, as Grace helped raise Vrnea to a minor extent. So they would know of each other just fine, and maybe know a bit about each others histories- But they weren't around each other all the time. Grace wouldn't have told Vrnea her dark secrets, or secret lore or the sort. At the least Grace would have taught her basic things anyone will teach kids and what any character would know. At the most, Grace might have passed on some slightly less well known nature lore, like what you can and can't eat, the proper way to respect nature- maybe a tiny bit about her religion. But I don't RP this without checking- even ask DM abaddon- I sent a tell asking 'Had Vrnea been told .... by so and so?'

But still, even though these chars know each other? Vrnea doesn't know anything Grace knows and vice versa except common knowledge or 'lore' you earn via skillpoints. Grace has no idea what Vrnea's been up to and vice versa, unless another char tells them or I check with the dm and ask, 'Do you think these guys would have bumped into each other at some point?'

On the other hand I have Toman and Grace. Now they've heard of each other- from IG chat, with peope telling Grace about 'that guard who arrested Aria'. That's it. That's all Grace really knows, and to be honest, she wouldn't be able to recognise Toman- or even tell you his name. And Toman has never heard of or met Grace.

They just don't go in the same circles. Now Grace has some interesting knowledge about the cities secrets- she's not afraid to break open a lock for curiosities sake and poke about. Toman's an enforcer of law, however, and would have no reason to poke about such things. So even though Toman spends far more time in the city than Grace? Unless somehow, an event or RP leads Toman to these secrets, he doesn't know them. I know them. He doesn't. And in most likely hood, he won't ever learn some of them, because most events won't randomly lead him to that place.

It is hard. It's the same sort of accidently metagaming you do when you see an NPC labelled bandit and go 'oooh, evil!', when how does your char know? They can't see floating names. You, the player, know stuff- but your char can't. In some ways it's the same vein as RPing to your characters lore skill. If your char has 0 lore? They aren't going to know about that uncommon monster. 2-4 lore? Maaaybe tales. Legends. But then, for realisms sake, you need to rp -wrong- info.
      "You can ride griffon's right? They're very friendly, you can just walk up to them and bow, they like that."

Key tips?
Don't RP detailed info. Don't RP uncommon lore (the sort you -have- to learn IG). Don't RP more lore than your lore skill unless  you've actually been told IG- (and even then, your char might forget). Don't RP your chars are best buddies and tell each other everything.

Just like how you might ask a DM permission before playing an unusual race, or having an unusual background- you ask to make sure you aren't giving you char too much info.  It's to avoid new chars of old players knowing more than old chars of new players.

So you give a dm explanation of how and why and what your chars tell each other. If the DM goes 'Hang on, I don't think those chars -would- do that, I mean, why would a (....) tell a (...) that? Would that char tell this random (....) that?"

Really it comes down to that- Why would that person tell that other person that? Really, why? And when, and how, and what, and WHY?

It sometimes makes no sense for this char to know that char. Sure in the game, interesting interactions happen. Unusual parties team up. Strange alliances are made. But they all happen IG and are 'naturally' forming. If you just say my char knows my other char, it feels... wrong. If not just Metagaming, then just 'god-moding' as the term I'm familiar with- when you control something too much in your favour.

People are free to disagree with me, or discuss a point. But really, the safest method is just getting the all clear from a DM or two.
Elgate
Elgate
Forum Sage

Female Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2011-01-31

Character sheet
Character Name: Grace Fennerset
Overall Level: 30

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:59 pm

Grace has pretty much got the general idea
A'rys and Charia know of each other they have never really gotten together to sit down and chat merely pass each other as one or the other enter or leaves the college. Both frequent the college.
Both are well known characters A'rys being Guild Leader and Charia having defeated the Void made a noble. Both have heard about the other in character and in game.

Charia's involvement with the Void and Ne'sekoleth is common knowledge however the details are known only to Ne and Charia.

My newest character Thrarvaiel, a winged elf of Rhenallathan has rped that Charia has helped her so she could acclimate to life outside of the Feylands. Thrarvaiel would like the others know the basic about Charia and the Void and Charia and Ne.

Also one must consider forum rp as in game rp as well.
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Ragdoll_Knight Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:24 am

Animayhem wrote:Grace has pretty much got the general idea
A'rys and Charia know of each other they have never really gotten together to sit down and chat merely pass each other as one or the other enter or leaves the college. Both frequent the college.
Both are well known characters A'rys being Guild Leader and Charia having defeated the Void made a noble.  Both have heard about the other in character and in game.

Charia's involvement with the Void and Ne'sekoleth is common knowledge however the details are known only to Ne and Charia.

My newest character Thrarvaiel, a winged elf of Rhenallathan has rped that Charia has helped her so she could acclimate to life outside of the Feylands. Thrarvaiel would like the others know the basic about Charia and the Void and Charia and Ne.

This topic is not for you to argue your point. This topic is so you know not to do it any more at all. Just stop. Seriously.
Ragdoll_Knight
Ragdoll_Knight
Forum Sage

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:42 am

Ragdoll_Knight wrote:
Animayhem wrote:Grace has pretty much got the general idea
Both are well known characters A'rys being Guild Leader and Charia having defeated the Void made a noble.  Both have heard about the other in character and in game.

This topic is not for you to argue your point. This topic is so you know not to do it any more at all. Just stop. Seriously.

I am deeply offended. Grace explained her characters and why they may know certain facts. I did the same.
As for metagaming I have not been informed either in game by a dm or admin nor in a pm.
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  GM_ODA Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:06 am

Friends,
PAUSE.

Take a deep breath.

Relax.

METAGAMING - all should refrain. I know it is among the hardest of things to do - separate what YOU the PLAYER knows from what your PC knows. Try to avoid lore 'crossing' PCs as much as possible. If you have an IC explanation, run it by a DM privately or in the forum publicly (ask a DM thread for example) as you see fit. Then go with the flow of the decision of the DM.

There are good points made by all posters here. Lets ponder them, and synthesize a server statement on how to handle it, and define what it is too while we are going there.

BE NICE PLEASE.
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Male Number of posts : 3070
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Firkin Alechugger
Race: Dwarf
Overall Level: 11

https://web.archive.org/web/20151106073532/http://playnwn.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down