Neverwinter Nights Multiplayer Server 24x7 Now with NWN and NWN:EE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gear Enhances the Performance of Skills ... what about cooking?

5 posters

Go down

Gear Enhances the Performance of Skills ... what about cooking? Empty Gear Enhances the Performance of Skills ... what about cooking?

Post  GM_ODA Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:44 pm

Friends,
We already have features in-built that allow food (prepared) to be either tasty and nutritious or not so much based on the result of the cooking attempt. There are features such as herb use enhancing the results, and skill of the cook. Shall we expand on that with the addition of more features such as:

Cooking gear permitting better results... this offered both on the basis that you do need certain gear to make some foods, and in fact some gear may even be magical.

Feedback?

Other features anyone?
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Male Number of posts : 3070
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Firkin Alechugger
Race: Dwarf
Overall Level: 11

https://web.archive.org/web/20151106073532/http://playnwn.com/

Back to top Go down

Gear Enhances the Performance of Skills ... what about cooking? Empty Re: Gear Enhances the Performance of Skills ... what about cooking?

Post  Shar Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:19 pm

So.... like a spatula to give better redsults?

Btw... i am spelling bad even in things i know.. its 1:30 i just cant sleep.
Shar
Shar
Forum Vizier

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2012-01-15

Character sheet
Character Name: Ne'Sekoleth
Race:
Overall Level: 20

Back to top Go down

Gear Enhances the Performance of Skills ... what about cooking? Empty Re: Gear Enhances the Performance of Skills ... what about cooking?

Post  Animayhem Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:46 am

Well actually in worlds with cooking, one aspect of success fully cooking is based on how high your wisdom score.

A spatula is good or what about a chef's hat and apron to boost wisdom? Limited to only when use when at a campfire or stove?
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Number of posts : 2213
Registration date : 2010-07-11

Character sheet
Character Name: Charia/Arys
Race: Half-Elf
Overall Level: 30/30

Back to top Go down

Post  GM_ODA Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:42 am

Our cooking system does use wisdom, but sometimes you do need a tool. No matter how wise the chef, some tasks cannot be accomplished without tools. Wise as you like esspresso is a great example; you cannot make fancy food like this without the right tool. So maybe we want some particular type of cooking device to be required for some recipies or to handle some ingredients? What if a PC could carry a 'magical spoon' that enhanced the flavor of anything it stirred (giving a bonus on your chance to succeed, just like if your PCs wisdom were higher).

feedback?
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  GM_ODA Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:29 pm

Friends,
We have recently been discussing some changes and additions to the cooking system here.

PROPOSAL: cookpot item, a heavy iron kettle that, when placed in a cooking spit, allows more than just fish or meat to be cooked... veggies mushrooms and fruits can all be cooked in some form so our system will allow - for example cookpot, meat item plus potatoes plus carrots plus beans plus water = soup (and lots of it). Such items can be covered and use to cook flatbreads too.

FEEDBACK?
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:19 pm

GM_ODA wrote:Friends,
We have recently been discussing some changes and additions to the cooking system here.

PROPOSAL: cookpot item, a heavy iron kettle that, when placed in a cooking spit, allows more than just fish or meat to be cooked... veggies mushrooms and fruits can all be cooked in some form so our system will allow - for example cookpot, meat item plus potatoes plus carrots plus beans plus water = soup (and lots of it). Such items can be covered and use to cook flatbreads too.

FEEDBACK?

Good idea for those who do not eat meat. Smile
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Number of posts : 2213
Registration date : 2010-07-11

Character sheet
Character Name: Charia/Arys
Overall Level: 30/30

Back to top Go down

Post  Roger_Dodger Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:42 pm

Great ideas, especially the cooking pot. Given my 'druthers, I'd really rather have stew (if I can find potatoes, carrots, onions, etc.). But, in RL, my Cast Iron Dutch Oven weighs about 5 lbs, and is rather bulky, although ideal for camp out cooking. One should be able to buy the veggies at any of the many farms.

Until I can find a pack horse to help me with all this gear, I'd rather just be able to cook a venison roast (or a fish) without burning it to 'crispy critter'. Sad What's the trick with using the spit and campfire? That fire cooks faster than a Microwave Oven! No Hunting, Camping out and campfire cooking are a really fun part of this world. Eating 'crispy critter' is getting frustrating. Hey, I'm not that bad a cook! Razz

Roger Dodger
Roger_Dodger
Roger_Dodger
Forum Knight

Male Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2015-05-09

Character sheet
Character Name: Grogan Klepsis
Race: Human

Back to top Go down

Gear Enhances the Performance of Skills ... what about cooking? Empty Speaking of Cooking

Post  Roger_Dodger Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:02 am

I went hunting with my Bard Henchman last night. Got a deer, not far north of the Campground, and returned to the Campground with the meat (and hide). NOTE: I REALLY like the Campground. The Fire Ring is a nice addition, not to mention safer with camp fires (Only YOU can prevent Forest Fires). Got some wood, and built a fire in the fire ring, then got my spit ready.

(Opened the 'spit') Put my raw venison in the spit, and closed it. Then immediately opened it back up, and . . . CRISPY CRITTER! Aw, c'mon folks, the meat didn't have time to even get hot, let alone burn it to Crispy Critter.

I would hope 'someone' would work on the cooking routines before we even talk about cooking tools and such. I can 'assume' that my PC has enough intelligence and wisdom to at least turn the spit to keep the meat from burning. BTW, you only need to put in a 'trashcan' in the campground (for dumping the burned meat). Keep your campground clean, folks. Laughing

Color me Frustrated,
Roger Dodger
Roger_Dodger
Roger_Dodger
Forum Knight

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Absol 13 Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:59 pm

I'll Admit.. as Aria (Bard/Wiz/Arcane archer) who has cooked food for herself MANY atime burn her food 9/10 times. And.. It can get QUITE annoying,I'm even wonderinf why nature types cook better? technically Experience based. also Dodger is right, we should makes the meat take TIME to cook(as fun as instant cooking is)
Absol 13
Absol 13
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 695
Registration date : 2012-03-12

Character sheet
Character Name:
Overall Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM_ODA Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:32 pm

Friends,
I _love_ the feedback.

OK, cooking by timing - could be tricky, there is a certain 'time compression' in how time passes on the server, so we could simulate a PC being VERY CAREFUL by having them initiate SEARCH? In other words, our cooking scripts could check to see if your PC is vigilant (in search mode) and if so, reduce the chances that you'll burn your dinner?

As it is right now, it is WIS BASED, so if your PC is lacking WIS pts, this explains how it got distracted from watching dinner cook. Razz

It is a random roll, that involves WIS, and the roll gets easier with practice. HERB use during cooking also makes the result more likely to be a good one.

Anyway, what do you think about the 'search mode' invokation in lieu of an actual timer?

GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Roger_Dodger Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:19 pm

GM_ODA wrote:Friends,
I _love_ the feedback.

OK, cooking by timing - could be tricky, there is a certain 'time compression' in how time passes on the server, so we could simulate a PC being VERY CAREFUL by having them initiate SEARCH? In other words, our cooking scripts could check to see if your PC is vigilant (in search mode) and if so, reduce the chances that you'll burn your dinner?

With instant crispy critter, there's no time to even initiate a 'search'. If the 'time compression' were even 1:10, a venison roast should take about 6 minutes (game time) to cook (rare). Fish would cook faster, maybe 1 or 2 game minutes for moist and flaky done. T'would be nice to have some salt for the roast, but that's a separate discussion.

As it is right now, it is WIS BASED, so if your PC is lacking WIS pts, this explains how it got distracted from watching dinner cook. Razz

It is a random roll, that involves WIS, and the roll gets easier with practice.  HERB use during cooking also makes the result more likely to be a good one.

My PC has a WIS of 11. If you're rolling a 1d20 vs WIS, I should have a better than 50% chance of NOT ruining my dinner. Are you rolling a 1d20 or 1d100 (percent die) vs WIS?

Anyway, what do you think about the 'search mode' invokation in lieu of an actual timer?

I would much favor an 'oven timer' (T = 120 secs. ding! . . . Dinner's done!) I really hate wasting meat that I had to kill a dumb animal for. I'm gonna have to check my "Wilderness Survival Guide" (AD&D 1e) on 'how to cook in the wild'.

Anxiously,
Roger Dodger
Roger_Dodger
Roger_Dodger
Forum Knight

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down