Neverwinter Nights Multiplayer Server 24x7 Now with NWN and NWN:EE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your PC (POST BETA)

+4
Elgate
Hacatsu
GM_ODA
Shar
8 posters

Go down

Your PC   (POST BETA) Empty Your PC (POST BETA)

Post  Shar Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:49 pm

As everyone knows beta will be ending very soon, with that many old pc's will not make the transition due to the HUGE time-lapse between beta and 1.0

However, For a large payment of runes some of your pc's can be saved in some form. weather by slowed aging necromantic process or even sheer immortality due to there race. No official numbers have been assigned as of yet however this is your chance to plead your pc's individual approach for being kept so that the price in ruins can be determined based on that.

SO far we have a short list but the effects are as follows.

PC is aged Massively but still alive - moderate runes (or high for short lived races)

PC is aged Moderately but is still alive and has some vigor left - High rune count

PC is Magically suspended and dose not age but also has no sense of the passing of time. They emerge to find the world a very different place. - Very high rune count
Shar
Shar
Forum Vizier

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2012-01-15

Character sheet
Character Name: Ne'Sekoleth
Race:
Overall Level: 20

Back to top Go down

Your PC   (POST BETA) Empty Re: Your PC (POST BETA)

Post  GM_ODA Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:59 pm

Friends,
We have a short list of methods for this but are hoping DMs and PLAYERS alike will offer suggestions - when the list is complete we'll assign point/rune costs to each.

Some examples include (in no particular order):

• PC fell asleep in the Feylands (where time passes differently on occasion).
  • PC falls victim to the spell known as Forlorn Incistment (later versions of D&D named it 'Imprisonment', the spell was taken from Jack Vance's fantasy writing).
  • PC becomes lost on an Planar Journey.

So what can you add to this list?
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Male Number of posts : 3070
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Firkin Alechugger
Race: Dwarf
Overall Level: 11

https://web.archive.org/web/20151106073532/http://playnwn.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Hacatsu Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:03 pm

• PC freezes in the cold ice of the Slaad fortress.
  • PC is turned into stone.
  • PC (Druid) assumes a tree form, and doing so enter an deep meditation/hybernation state.
Hacatsu
Hacatsu
Forum Courtier

Male Number of posts : 394
Registration date : 2013-12-05

Character sheet
Character Name: Drurazor Urnagahaz
Overall Level: 30

Back to top Go down

Post  Elgate Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:47 pm

Not to derail, just wanting clarification, because DnD lore is really iffy on this and occasionally seems to contradict itself:
How does physical ageing and 'soul' ageing work?

In DnD I'm fairly sure Monks, Druids and Shifters eventually stop physically ageing (I know for certain that's the lore on druids and shifters.) However they're all also explained as dying 'of old age' when their 'soul reaches the end of it's mortal coil'. Basically, even if you retard physical aging, the soul has an finite amount of time on this plane and will eventually run out of time, unless interfered with by powerful magics or forces.

Now, this could be explained that these classes (or at least monks and druids) understand the need of death and willingly fade when there time comes.

Maybe in other cases stated the soul also goes into a form of 'stasis' or the gods take pity on the entrapped soul and allow the soul the amount of time they would have had left once freed, as they weren't using that time when 'frozen'.

This server has never enforced ageing, so players can opt to be 'immortal' in the sense they'll never die of old age, so maybe the best solution would be to say that souls can stay on this plane so long as their body can hold them.

In which case, that means we now have to decide on whether monks, druids and shifters age, and if they don't, then we have some time survival explanations right there Very Happy
Elgate
Elgate
Forum Sage

Female Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2011-01-31

Character sheet
Character Name: Grace Fennerset
Race: Human

Back to top Go down

Post  Valerion Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:07 pm

Other options that might work

The Character is undead (I smell a lich or was it vampire?!) or in some other form of a race that grants him some kind of immortality as shar wrote

The character posesses knowledge like the recipy for the Potion of Youth/Rejuvenation

The character posesses items that slow the passing of time or lives in a confined space where time either is frozen or passes a LOT slower.

The character knows a magical place that grants longevity and youth when coming into connection with it

The character has an item that preserves the physical body and keeps it from aging like the Ring of Renewal

Several of the reasons above could fit to Valerion, theoretically.
Strikar is a Drow and afaik not older than 200, so might survive due to his race.
Then I have the Tiefling Meldranim, he probably could get lost in another plane.
Adrastia is in the Hands of a DM and outside my range anyway so blast that one.
Except for Valerions apprentice all other remaining characters do not have the means or the knowledge to survive the time skip, well that should help making my vault more tidy.

Last edited by Valerion on Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Valerion
Valerion
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 917
Registration date : 2011-12-24

Character sheet
Character Name: Valerion
Overall Level: 40

Back to top Go down

Post  spiriteternal Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:39 pm

IMHO and iff we want this to stay true to DnD lore, I would suggest we say that whatever process has frozen there body in stasis (several suggestions have been given and would vary based on class and history of the character) has also frozen their soul from aging.  We would not be talking about characters living day to day for a thousand years (i.e. ageless monks and shifters.) We are talking about one thousand years passing in the blink of a (beta to non-beta) moment, for both us and our characters. Undead characters would be exempt as their lack of a soul makes them truly immortal creatures (being the whole fascination with becoming a Lich or vampire) and any other player to be alive would have had to have not lack of aging but a stasis of sorts as lack of aging does not prevent death as stated previously.

spiriteternal
Posting Knave

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2011-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:20 pm

Shar wrote:As everyone knows beta will be ending very soon, with that many old pc's will not make the transition due to the HUGE time-lapse between beta and 1.0

However, For a large payment of runes some of your pc's can be saved in some form. weather by slowed aging necromantic process or even sheer immortality due to there race. No official numbers have been assigned as of yet however this is your chance to plead your pc's individual approach for being kept so that the price in ruins can be determined based on that.

SO far we have a short list but the effects are as follows.

PC is aged Massively but still alive - moderate runes (or high for short lived races)

PC is Magically suspended and dose not age but also has no sense of the passing of time. They emerge to find the world a very different place. - Very high rune count

This for A'rys.

GM_ODA wrote:PC fell asleep in the Feylands (where time passes differently on occasion).

This would work for Charia and Tharaviel.
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Number of posts : 2213
Registration date : 2010-07-11

Character sheet
Character Name: Charia/Arys
Race: Half-Elf
Overall Level: 30/30

Back to top Go down

Post  Valerion Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:23 pm

Books good and fine, but considering this server is a mix of 2.0 3.5 and 3.0.... and a seperate world, with some very different "laws" and constellations, I doubt the books will be that much of a point.

P.S. Aren'T shifters dying no matter if ageless or not, same with monks afaik, I still think that a monk just because being a monk not aging or being "immortal" being a big load of horse hockey.

Last edited by Valerion on Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Valerion
Valerion
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 917
Registration date : 2011-12-24

Character sheet
Character Name: Valerion
Overall Level: 40

Back to top Go down

Post  spiriteternal Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:29 pm

GM_ODA wrote:
PC fell asleep in the Feylands (where time passes differently on occasion).

I agree this would work too. Since the passing of time would become different, neither body nor soul would be aged as both would have slowed, same as traveling at the speed of light. Each year that passes in a part of the feylands, a century would pass in normal time. So after a thousand years only ten have passed for that character or even another part where times has come to a crawl, you have one nap and a thousand years during your sleep. Time is known to be warped in these areas.  It is not agelessness of a class (monk) but time itself that is warped.

spiriteternal
Posting Knave

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2011-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:38 am

Why not have a simplier solution. Since it has been mentioned that there are alternate planes and on the lines of the Sleeping Beauty fairytale,
maybe have Dorhal tarnsferred sone how in a pocket dimension, suspended animation? Or maybe just the population?
Exactly how far in the future? Or maybe instead of future whay not put in the past as well could work?

The Arcane Masters would still exist maybe even though not complete when they awoke either work will continue or the building done.
(ooc I can work with admins and dms in regards to this)
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Elgate Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:43 am

That would defeat the point of a time skip entirely. Neutral

I'm not sure on the reasoning behind why we need a timeskip (I thought it was to encourage people to clear out their vaults so that, post beta, we can start a fresh and give new peeps a chance to start on equal footing. These time-freeze options are for people who really don't want to loose their chars.)

I'm also not sure how the timeskip is going to work world wise - will their be political shifts, area changes, historic events?
Elgate
Elgate
Forum Sage

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:34 am

Problem with time skip especially where A'rys is concerned is the tome and effort put in with the arcane masters.  Charia and Tharaviel more flexible as Charia with the exception of the Hunters Guild saga is pretty much free.

Why even a wipe at all.  Just a note that we are no lonegr in beta. Instead of dragging the old history which is beta, have current events maybe the last fours years in beta as the new history?  Plus I am trying to finish uip the dark cloud storyline
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Hacatsu Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:06 pm

If I'm not wrong, there was a note on the OOC start area, telling about how the time where the players enter the game was before other records, meaning the (beta) server was a "pre-historic" timelapste... It was clear since the beggining that the beta server was a time for PC's to create books, record big events and put into a 'legendary' position old PC's.

The time skip is going to happen, and the time freezing option is just to give you a chance to save PC's that you don't to have gone forever. Deal with it, the time skip was something that I knew it would happen even at the time I started playing, deal with it.

There are the ways in which your PC can survive the time skip, at the cost of a certain number of soul runes (which, c'mon, I'm certain your badass lvl 30-40 PC has pretty much enough already) it's not a big deal, choose your PC(s), sit and relax.

New PC which doesn't have enough Soul runes for options above? Trade in some with other characters, that easy.
Hacatsu
Hacatsu
Forum Courtier

Male Number of posts : 394
Registration date : 2013-12-05

Character sheet
Character Name: Drurazor Urnagahaz

Back to top Go down

Post  Elgate Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:23 pm

Things that might clear this up for people:

Exactly how much time are we thinking of skipping here? If it's below 300 years, then PC's with longer lifespans might just 'age up'.
Are there estimated costs on how many soul runes are needed for the suggested time skip solutions?
If a character is not 'bought' using soul runes, and cannot survive the skip naturally, will they be deleted/ considered dead? Some players have practically unplayed characters- is there an option to ask for those characters to simply be roleplayed as having been 'made' after the timeskip?

Other things people might want to consider:
If you have a guild, what will that guild have been up to during the time skip? Maybe an 'Ask a DM' thread can be opened, where guildmasters (and members) can say where they feel the guild was headed (Maybe 'bribe' the dm with a few spare soul runes, for more 'guaranteed success' Razz ) and see where that goes.

If your character is going to be retired, think up an epilogue for them! What did these characters, who are active during the time skip, get up to before they died?

Did your character have kids/ family? Possibly consider 'buying them' with soul runes, so you can play them after the time skip, or maybe write up a family tree of actions and deeds your character's descendents got up to. (Again, maybe you could get a dm or two involved, or other players, and have mini short stories on what your blood line achieved in the time skip.)
Elgate
Elgate
Forum Sage

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  GM_ODA Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:15 pm

CLARIFYING POST:

The timeskip event it is largely a plot device to allow IC retirement to those PCs desiring it.

The total years of the time skip is undisclosed but can be characterized as 'a couple hundred' meaning it will impact most every PC.

Soulrunes will be used to pay for those PCs 'brought forward' by various means. The more that means leaves your PC intact and powerful, the more it will cost (e.g. lower cost to bring a PC forward fairly intact, higher cost for ensuring your PC's castle and entourage are likewise carried forward intact). Costs will be reasonable (face it most PCs have a host of soulrunes) more you can buy/sell/trade soulrunes.

Look on this NOT as a vault purge, because that is NOT what it is. What it is is an optional plot device to explain away the retirement of any PC a PLAYER may wish to retire. Such retirement allows us to ICly justify having that PCs log book become fodder for in game books.

This time shift allows us IC reasons for introducing new and re-made areas. More it allows us to introduce new plot twists that will help make the world feel new again even for those old-timers who remain.

This has been planned since the module was conceived. It will minimally disrupt the server, while allowing really vast and (PLAYER) unexpected intrigues to be introduced.

If you have any further specific questions on the planned time shift event, post them here. I'll get back to you asap with answers as best I can.

Why am I mentioning this now if the time shift event is some time away? Because you all need time to wrap up your present story lines. You are scattered around the world, and RL takes precedence. Thus I allow a fair warning and a long one, to allow all to coordinate with DMs and PLAYERS and begin to wrap up important plot threads.

AFTER BETA TEST IS OVER

Sever reset will NO LONGER award PCs a full set of soulrunes. Each PC will get ONE set of soulrunes ONLY at the creation of the PC and will only very rarely be able to earn additional soulrunes. This means PCs made post beta will only have a handful of lives available to them. DEATH events in game will allow a PLAYER options of letting PARTY mates RP a solution at lower soulrune cost, OR just hit respawn (dropping a random item or three, and costing several soulrunes) - this enables solo play, while rewarding PARTY and RP actions.
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Elgate Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:25 pm

(I was actually about to ask about soul runes post beta, but ODA read my mind Razz )

So, what you could see this timeskip as, is a way of 'buying' soul runes through spending soul runes. I'll explain:

You're current PC might have 100 soul runes. That's ten times the amount any new pc might have. So, you spend maybe 50 runes to bring your character across into post-beta. You still have 50 runes left, which is five times the amount a new pc would have started with, plus you have all your gear, levels, history and so on. (Depending on how your char survived the timeskip)

That brings up another question: are the soul runes per ''player' or per 'character'?

If you have 300+ soul runes over all, then you might want to think hard on who or what you want to spend them on: characters, things you want to happen during the timeskip, and so on. Afterwards, maybe we can share the remainder of our soul runes out between the characters we brought over.

(these soul rune numbers are random amounts- I don't know the costs, or the average amount of runes people have)
Elgate
Elgate
Forum Sage

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:22 pm

Yes is it per character or player? A price list would be needed to put up.

For those of us who may have runes saved after paying to be brought forward allow then distributed amongst our characters.

May allow more to our lower level. I would like the head change restriction moved. Right now, you can only change your head from levels 1-4
which really does not make sense rp wise.

Maybe just take the script off the player radial menu and put it on the barbers already in place. Not just head changes but also eye, hair and skin color and tatoos.

Usage could be limited to maybe a full head change once a year other colorings maybe once every six months.

Since this place prides itself on mirroring rl in rl its is not uncommon for people to cahnge their hair color, get tans, get tinted contact lens.
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Ragdoll_Knight Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:23 pm

Let's try to keep on subject here.

Tony's gone from red to white/gray to black them back to red.
We definitely should change the barbers as animayhem suggested.  Also, they appear to be broken atm
Ragdoll_Knight
Ragdoll_Knight
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Character sheet
Character Name: Tony
Overall Level: 32

Back to top Go down

Post  GM_ODA Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:31 am

per character.
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:05 am

GM_ODA wrote:per character.

Oda could a separate thread be posted on soul runes?
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  GM_ODA Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:41 pm

Friend Animayhem,
There is not enough information on soulrunes in this context to merit its own thread. In this context it is all related to your PC post beta.
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down