Do Coins add to the PCs Weight?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Do Coins add to the PCs Weight?

Post  Roger_Dodger on Mon May 11, 2015 10:18 pm

Do Coins add to the PCs Weight (inventory weight)?

Example: Standard US minted coins (The $1 Silver Dollar [or sp] and the $20 Double-Eagle Gold Coin [or gp]) each weigh One Troy Oz. (.999 pure metal). If a PC is carrying around 1000 coins, he would be actually be carrying about 69 (standard) pounds (lbs) of metal coins. Not to mention the weight, that many coins would be very bulky.

Coinage (in D&D worlds) seem to be magically weightless (and bulk-less). Is it the same in 'your' world?

Curious minds want to know,
Roger Dodger
Roger_Dodger
Forum Knight

Male Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2015-05-09

Character sheet
Character Name: Grogan Klepsis
Race: Human
Overall Level: 11

Back to top Go down

Re: Do Coins add to the PCs Weight?

Post  GM_ODA on Tue May 12, 2015 5:53 am

Friend Roger_Dodger,
Good question. IIRC this is an option in our coin system, which I think is currently turned off. We plan to activate it in the near future but had left it off in early testing of the module.

Don't worry hoarders, I'll give you warning before I activate the coin weight. Very Happy

96.31.77.127 NWN server requires cep2.1+
24x7 we bring the game.
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Male Number of posts : 2632
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Firkin Alechugger
Race: Dwarf

http://playnwn.hopto.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Roger_Dodger on Tue May 12, 2015 10:24 pm

GM_ODA wrote:Friend Roger_Dodger,
Good question. IIRC this is an option in our coin system, which I think is currently turned off. We plan to activate it in the near future but had left it off in early testing of the module.

Don't worry hoarders, I'll give you warning before I activate the coin weight. Very Happy

OOooooo! I'm really gonna have to think about that one. My PC's carrying capacity is only 100 lbs stark naked. Loaded down with 'adventuring gear', I'm lucky to have 20 lbs free - that's about 150 gp weight-wise. And no horses, mules or donkeys????

I've found adventuring to be a very expensive proposition. I spend most of my loot buying stuff for the next adventure (better weapons, armor, potions, etc), with enough left over for a couple of nights at the Inn. The Banking System is a boon, even with the 10% usury tacked on, but it could be miles to the nearest Branch Bank.

Let us think on this long and hard.
Roger_Dodger
Forum Knight

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  GM_ODA on Wed May 13, 2015 5:25 am

Friend Roger_Dodger,
Rejoice, we have horses and pack animals.

More, if you earn more loot than you can carry, you can bury some and come back for it later (assuming nobody finds where you buried it first and takes it for themselves).

There are also MAGICAL BAGS (such as bags of holding, and soon, a Portable Hole) - beware however, as carrying too many magical bags can attract a parasitic monster known as "Bag Bugs" which will plant eggs in your bags that LOOK like your magic items (but actually are the husk of the item with a larvae hidden within). The larvae either hatch out when disturbed or perish (immature) either way the magic item is toast. Why do we do this? To prevent server lag. PCs are hoarders extreme and too much gear on the PC makes lag - if everyone bulks up on carried gear, the server will run poorly. To dissuade PCs carrying too much gear, these mechanics have been added.

You can find pack animals north of the city, just north of the urban space named "North Donnel". Just north of the pack animal location is a farm where they have horses for sale - note these are very expensive. Reason: Horses are not native to this world - worse, if they breed here, they breed only NIGHTMARES. For this reason, wizards 'import' horses by means of spells from other worlds, and only import GELDINGS so no breeding can take place.

Hope this helps.

96.31.77.127 NWN server requires cep2.1+
24x7 we bring the game.
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Male Number of posts : 2632
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Firkin Alechugger
Race: Dwarf

http://playnwn.hopto.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Roger_Dodger on Wed May 13, 2015 12:54 pm

GM_ODA wrote: Friend Roger_Dodger,
Rejoice, we have horses and pack animals.

HUZZAH! (That's me cheering and rejoicing)  cheers

GM_ODA wrote:More, if you earn more loot than you can carry, you can bury some and come back for it later (assuming nobody finds where you buried it first and takes it for themselves).

Or you forget where you buried it, or its just inconvenient to go back.  Crying or Very sad Also, I'm assuming your world is somewhat like RL. Transporting large amounts of treasure any distance 'may' attract the attention of less-than-savory characters (like Bandito-types). Someone is always looking for 'easy pickings'.

GM_ODA wrote:There are also MAGICAL BAGS (such as bags of holding, and soon, a Portable Hole) - beware however, as carrying too many magical bags can attract a parasitic monster known as "Bag Bugs" which will plant eggs in your bags that LOOK like your magic items (but actually are the husk of the item with a larvae hidden within). The larvae either hatch out when disturbed or perish (immature) either way the magic item is toast. Why do we do this? To prevent server lag. PCs are hoarders extreme and too much gear on the PC makes lag - if everyone bulks up on carried gear, the server will run poorly. To dissuade PCs carrying too much gear, these mechanics have been added.

MAGICAL BAGS - Always on the look-out for these, especially Bags of Holding. Helps a lot with hauling really heavy stuff around (like +X Plate Mail or a +5 Flaming Vorpal Mithril Great Sword  Twisted Evil ). I can't use it myself, but they make great 'trade goods' for stuff I can use. If I could tie a Portable Hole to my locker in the Bank, that would be particularly useful.  Very Happy I try not to do too much hording per se, at least on my person, but I have been known to store excess 'useful' items (like potions) in the chest in the room at the Inn.

GM_ODA wrote:You can find pack animals north of the city, just north of the urban space named "North Donnel". Just north of the pack animal location is a farm where they have horses for sale - note these are very expensive. Reason: Horses are not native to this world - worse, if they breed here, they breed only NIGHTMARES. For this reason, wizards 'import' horses by means of spells from other worlds, and only import GELDINGS so no breeding can take place.

That's great to know. I was told by one of the other PCs I met that horses were not native to this world. I just assumed that meant 'Unavailable'.  Curious, since CEP has done a lot of development along these lines, and Jousting was even part of one of the 'Premium Modules' (forgot which one). The animation was a little 'clunky' but has probably improved since I played that mod. If available, I had assumed that they would be rather expensive. Geldings are a great idea! As a RL horse breeder long ago, I can tell you that Mares tend to be a little more skiddish, and Stallions, well Stallions are Stallions; they only think about two things: Eating and Mating. The latter make them anything but a pleasurable ride.

During the 1st Crusade, the Western Knights rode ONLY Stallions, and the Arabs rode mostly Mares. When they met in battle (it was Spring), well, let's say the results were interesting to say the least (the Crusaders won that battle).

My original Roger Dodger PC was a Horsemaster, and was training War Horses in Dressage (Airs Above the Ground). One of the horses he was training was injured (not his fault, but horses are more delicate than you might think). Anyway, his boss (a Baron-type) was so irritated that he wanted to execute poor Roger. So Roger ran away (stealing one of the Baron's best mounts, which REALLY pi$$ed him off) to a life of adventuring. Glad to see horses being available. In RL, 'virtual' riding is all I have left.  Sad  Ah, there I go rambling again.  Very Happy

GM_ODA wrote:Hope this helps.

Indeed! Very informative. Thanks

Roger Dodger
Roger_Dodger
Forum Knight

Character sheet

Back to top Go down