Neverwinter Nights Multiplayer Server 24x7 Now with NWN and NWN:EE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Multiple people per inn room

+2
Animayhem
Elgate
6 posters

Go down

Multiple people per inn room Empty Multiple people per inn room

Post  Elgate Fri May 15, 2015 5:27 pm

I was wondering if it was possible to have a 'party' rent a room?

As in, one person would speak to the innkeeper and ask about rooms, and the innkeeper would ask 'individual or group?'. If group, could it be scripted to see how many individuals are in a party, and offer a suitable room, E.G. if it was a group of 4, and the scripts could detect that there was a room with one bed, three beds, four beds and five, it would offer the four bed room. If that room wasn't available, the innkeeper could suggest booking two smaller rooms (And say which ones are available), or offer a larger room for a higher price?

If the party tries booking a smaller room, but with more party members than beds, the innkeep would suggest 'splitting up' (A hint that they need to split the party for the next bit).

Once accepted, all members of the party would get a room key, so there is no need for one person being responsible for letting people in and out.

This would save on inn rooms, because you can bed more people for less rooms, and would open up RP possibilities of having to bunk down with your fellow adventurers due to cost (The group rooms would be cheaper per person than getting a single room).

I know that, at the moment, you can do this anyway to an extent- one person books a room, opens the door, and the others just 'sleep on the floor' or 'share the bed' or something, but having group rooms makes more sense RP wise.

Also, due to room shortages, perhaps you could also get 'hostel' type inns, where people rent a bed, rather than a room, and get given a key to a room (and maybe a key to a chest), and a bed number. The room itself has many beds and chests, but they can only use one chest (and rp only being able to use one bed).

This means that if people really want to have a bed to sleep in, they can just use one of these hostel type rooms, rather than worry about the small number of inn rooms.

Ideas?
Elgate
Elgate
Forum Sage

Female Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2011-01-31

Character sheet
Character Name: Grace Fennerset
Race: Human
Overall Level: 30

Back to top Go down

Multiple people per inn room Empty Re: Multiple people per inn room

Post  Animayhem Sat May 16, 2015 8:19 pm

good idea. Also if rooms are full maybe allowing the common room used for resting but you need to have a bedroll.
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Number of posts : 2213
Registration date : 2010-07-11

Character sheet
Character Name: Charia/Arys
Race: Half-Elf
Overall Level: 30/30

Back to top Go down

Post  GM_ODA Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:14 pm

OK, on this and improving the INN systems in general - a simple solution might be :

innkeeper issues key as usual -
SCRIPTS are modified to put the renters name/ID on the key...
RUNESTONE will be made to allow the PC to make as copies of keys for rooms with MATCHING PC ID info.

In this way a PC can rent a room and make keys for all his/her friends.

Feedback?
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Male Number of posts : 3070
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Firkin Alechugger
Race: Dwarf
Overall Level: 11

https://web.archive.org/web/20151106073532/http://playnwn.com/

Back to top Go down

Multiple people per inn room Empty Counter suggestion

Post  Shar Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:44 pm

Inn rooms are cluttered because people login, rent them out for IC years and then leave the server OR abandon that PC.

My suggestion is simple. Set a hard limit on how long you can rent a room for, I would suggest between 1 and 3 RL days MAX. That way the room gets freed up in a reasonable amount of time if the player isnt here playing.
Shar
Shar
Forum Vizier

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2012-01-15

Character sheet
Character Name: Ne'Sekoleth
Race:
Overall Level: 20

Back to top Go down

Post  Absol 13 Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:05 pm

In inn this sounds reasonable but I suggest against this in the college. For instance As Kurnoc I rent my room at the college Constantly for a year. and It makes sense at the college. besides there are atleast 30+ rooms at the college, and renting for long periods there makes sense.
Absol 13
Absol 13
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 695
Registration date : 2012-03-12

Character sheet
Character Name:
Overall Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  Roger_Dodger Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:35 pm

Absol 13 wrote:In inn this sounds reasonable but I suggest against this in the college. For instance As Kurnoc I rent my room at the college Constantly for a year. and It makes sense at the college. besides there are atleast 30+ rooms at the college, and renting for long periods there makes sense.

The 'Dorm Mother' should ask, "Would you need the room for one semester, or for the entire year?" Also, renting a 'dorm room' for a semester or year would be much more expensive than one night at the inn. There should also be a 'stopper' for a PC who is abandoned, or just doesn't log into the server for more than, let's say, ten days. If the PC doesn't 'check-in' (to the server, not the school) for more than ten days, his key evaporates. Seems fair to me.

Roger Dodger
Roger_Dodger
Roger_Dodger
Forum Knight

Male Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2015-05-09

Character sheet
Character Name: Grogan Klepsis

Back to top Go down

Post  Absol 13 Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:54 pm

Roger_Dodger wrote:
Absol 13 wrote:In inn this sounds reasonable but I suggest against this in the college. For instance As Kurnoc I rent my room at the college Constantly for a year. and It makes sense at the college. besides there are atleast 30+ rooms at the college, and renting for long periods there makes sense.

The 'Dorm Mother' should ask, "Would you need the room for one semester, or for the entire year?"  Also, renting a 'dorm room' for a semester or year would be much more expensive than one night at the inn. There should also be a 'stopper' for a PC who is abandoned, or just doesn't log into the server for more than, let's say, ten days. If the PC doesn't 'check-in' (to the server, not the school) for more than ten days, his key evaporates. Seems fair to me.

Roger Dodger

Hah yes. we need a "not logged in for X days room become free again" System, Would help.
Absol 13
Absol 13
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 695
Registration date : 2012-03-12

Character sheet
Character Name:
Overall Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  Roger_Dodger Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:34 pm

Elgate wrote:I was wondering if it was possible to have a 'party' rent a room?

It would make me a little uncomfortable to unclothe if there were a female in the party. I'm not a prude, but there are definite limits (unless the female is willing  Twisted Evil ). No problem with the 'Bath House', they are 'public' baths after all. "When in Rome . . . "

As in, one person would speak to the innkeeper and ask about rooms, and the innkeeper would ask 'individual or group?'. If group, could it be scripted to see how many individuals are in a party, and offer a suitable room, E.G. if it was a group of 4, and the scripts could detect that there was a room with one bed, three beds, four beds and five, it would offer the four bed room. If that room wasn't available, the innkeeper could suggest booking two smaller rooms (And say which ones are available), or offer a larger room for a higher price?

If there are more than two PCs in a party, then the 'Party Leader' should make all the arrangements with the Innkeeper, and get the only key. It seems that a single party would only be together during one gaming session. I've never seen the same people playing on different nights ('sessions'). A 'permanent' party would be NEAT-O, but the constraints of 'time-zones' and 'schedules' simply don't allow for it. Sad, but true.  Sad  If there are more than three in one party, wouldn't a hostel or 'common-room' (with bunks and/or chests) be more suitable for a larger party? Rather than a 'key', all the PCs in a party are given a 'ticket' by the innkeeper (which is 'checked' by a 'bouncer' at the entrance) to the common-room). To use a 'bunk' the PC will need a bedroll. The chests are not lockable, but as a rogue-type PC, I can always 'trap' my chest temporarily just to keep the shadier NPCs (always found in a common-room) out of my stuff.

If the party tries booking a smaller room, but with more party members than beds, the innkeep would suggest 'splitting up' (A hint that they need to split the party for the next bit).

Once accepted, all members of the party would get a room key, so there is no need for one person being responsible for letting people in and out.

Adds to the complexity of the encounter. Not really needed due to the reasons outlined above.

This would save on inn rooms, because you can bed more people for less rooms, and would open up RP possibilities of having to bunk down with your fellow adventurers due to cost (The group rooms would be cheaper per person than getting a single room).

I know that, at the moment, you can do this anyway to an extent- one person books a room, opens the door, and the others just 'sleep on the floor' or 'share the bed' or something, but having group rooms makes more sense RP wise.

Do the beds/bunks actually work (usable)? In the OC, I rent a room (with a bed/beds), but still have to crash on the floor. I OBJECT! I don't really know if I can sleep in a bed in this world, since I haven't found the right room yet.

Also, due to room shortages, perhaps you could also get 'hostel' type inns, where people rent a bed, rather than a room, and get given a key to a room (and maybe a key to a chest), and a bed number. The room itself has many beds and chests, but they can only use one chest (and rp only being able to use one bed).

This means that if people really want to have a bed to sleep in, they can just use one of these hostel type rooms, rather than worry about the small number of inn rooms.

Ideas?

All good ideas and food for thought, with the usual Pros and Cons. Thanks!

Roger Dodger
Roger_Dodger
Roger_Dodger
Forum Knight

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:35 pm

Aside from the party room, what needs to be done is all rooms in all inns be able to be rented. Right now if an inn has five rentable rooms
and one room is rented the other four can not be. I think because of this people may rent a room for a long time.

I think another solution is the various apartments that can be rented through out the cities be pre-furnished. I have submitted a wide
variety of decorated rooms which could be cut and pasted into unfurnished apartments which could be rented out for longer periods than inn rooms.
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Number of posts : 2213
Registration date : 2010-07-11

Character sheet
Character Name: Charia/Arys
Overall Level: 30/30

Back to top Go down

Post  Roger_Dodger Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:38 pm

Elgate wrote:I was wondering if it was possible to have a 'party' rent a room?

It would make me a little uncomfortable to unclothe if there were a female in the party. I'm not a prude, but there are definite limits (unless the female is willing  Twisted Evil ). No problem with the 'Bath House', they are 'public' baths after all. "When in Rome . . . "

If there are more than two PCs in a party, then the 'Party Leader' should make all the arrangements with the Innkeeper, and get the only key. It seems that a single party would only be together during one gaming session. I've never seen the same people playing on different nights ('sessions'). A 'permanent' party would be NEAT-O, but the constraints of 'time-zones' and 'schedules' simply don't allow for it. Sad, but true.  Sad  If there are more than three in one party, wouldn't a hostel or 'common-room' (with bunks and/or chests) be more suitable for a larger party? Rather than a 'key', all the PCs in a party are given a 'ticket' by the innkeeper (which is 'checked' by a 'bouncer' at the entrance) to the common-room). To use a 'bunk' the PC will need a bedroll. The chests are not lockable, but as a rogue-type PC, I can always 'trap' my chest temporarily just to keep the shadier NPCs (always found in a common-room) out of my stuff.

Adds to the complexity of the encounter. Not really needed due to the reasons outlined above.

Do the beds/bunks actually work (usable)? In the OC, I rent a room (with a bed/beds), but still have to crash on the floor. I OBJECT! I don't really know if I can sleep in a bed in this world, since I haven't found the right room yet.

Ideas?

All good ideas and food for thought, with the usual Pros and Cons. Thanks!

Roger Dodger
Roger_Dodger
Roger_Dodger
Forum Knight

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Roger_Dodger Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:39 pm

Sorry to have posted twice. My bad! Crying or Very sad
Roger_Dodger
Roger_Dodger
Forum Knight

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Elgate Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:01 pm

Actually, having explored the inns of the realm, I've found many inns have been built seemingly with the intention of multiple people- Vestalla, for instance, only has a single 'room' and the rest are 'suites' for multiple people. Which makes sense, as Vestalla is a tourist spot for monster hunts and probably excepts them to come in groups, rather than be fool hardy enough to take on the isle alone.

I was thinking more about how to make this practical (so that people could share a room easily- hence the multiple key option). Or use space economically (to avoid us running out of Inn rooms so easily- although that's also due to a few inns currently being broken- such as the Justice and Vestalla's Monster Mansion.)

Also, as a note, historically most inns would be more 'hostel' like, where people would have to share a room. Sometimes there wouldn't even be a separate rooms at all- there would be a single wide room, for eating, sleeping and socializing.
Elgate
Elgate
Forum Sage

Female Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2011-01-31

Character sheet
Character Name: Grace Fennerset
Overall Level: 30

Back to top Go down

Post  GM_ODA Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:55 pm

Elgate wrote:Actually, having explored the inns of the realm, I've found many inns have been built seemingly with the intention of multiple people- Vestalla, for instance, only has a single 'room' and the rest are 'suites' for multiple people. Which makes sense, as Vestalla is a tourist spot for monster hunts and probably excepts them to come in groups, rather than be fool hardy enough to take on the isle alone.

Exaclty so - most are intended for more than one occupant. Parties, families, entourages, few travel alone in such times.

Elgate wrote:
I was thinking more about how to make this practical (so that people could share a room easily- hence the multiple key option). Or use space economically (to avoid us running out of Inn rooms so easily- although that's also due to a few inns currently being broken- such as the Justice and Vestalla's Monster Mansion.)

The inns database is about to be flushed so all inns will be available again, more there are limits of one month (game time) being placed on ALL rent-able properties (so all PLAYERS wanting their PCs to keep their rentals will have to login at least once a week RL time).

Would my key duplication satisfy the goal in your opinion?

Elgate wrote:

Also, as a note, historically most inns would be more 'hostel' like, where people would have to share a room. Sometimes there wouldn't even be a separate rooms at all- there would be a single wide room, for eating, sleeping and socializing.

Spot on, like Tivook Common Room.

Very Happy

GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Male Number of posts : 3070
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Firkin Alechugger
Race: Dwarf

https://web.archive.org/web/20151106073532/http://playnwn.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Roger_Dodger Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:05 pm

Elgate wrote:Also, as a note, historically most inns would be more 'hostel' like, where people would have to share a room. Sometimes there wouldn't even be a separate rooms at all- there would be a single wide room, for eating, sleeping and socializing.

Indeed! Our vision of an Inn in the D&D multiverse seems to be one of a modern-day hotel, and a fairly swanky one at that. Consider that when Ben Franklin and John Adams were traveling together, they would not only share a room, they would sleep in the same bed (only one bed to a room). And that was in the 1770s-80s! Trivia: Franklin and Adams had running fights about keeping the window open - Franklin was a fresh air freak, and Adams thought he would catch a disease!

Whenever I build an Inn for NWN, it is usually two story. 1st story has the kitchen, sitting/eating room, and the Innkeep's quarters. Upstairs has a 'hostel-type' room with six to eight cots, and one or two 'double' rooms and two to four 'single' rooms. Inns like this one were v-e-r-y few and far between in the middle-ages. Traveling aristocracy (like the king or barons) would stay at each other's estates, where there was enough room for them and their entourage.
Roger_Dodger
Roger_Dodger
Forum Knight

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content