Neverwinter Nights Multiplayer Server 24x7 Now with NWN and NWN:EE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Blast from the Past - OLD FORUM ARCHIVES ... found!

2 posters

Go down

A Blast from the Past - OLD FORUM ARCHIVES ... found! Empty A Blast from the Past - OLD FORUM ARCHIVES ... found!

Post  GM_ODA Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:34 am

Friends,
You know, I'm _pretty good_ about making backups and archiving. . . but not always the best curator of the unruly pile of 1's and 0's that are in there *points to hard drive*.

Sometimes while kicking about in that pile I happen upon some long lost gem. Sometimes like today. : D

Mar 20th, 2007, 8:43pm ยป

HURRAH! YIPPPPIE! AND BWAHAHAHA! I _did_ it.

I stuck a fork in it and it is _done_.

DIRECT CONNECT NOW AT
66.232.100.90:5121

Or look for the server in the online listings as 'ArgentumRegio'!

GM_ODA

That IP was 'ours' for SEVEN YEARS and change... retired; Dec 16, 2014

I found this and some other useful data in the archives of the old forum that were tucked away in that pile *glares at pile*.

With 'Mar 20th, 2007' as our founding date, that puts our server at more than EIGHT YEARS OLD.

KUDOS to you all, PLAYERS, DMs, Donors, Guest Builders, WIKI Meisters and other amazing volunteers (I'm looking at you Eriniel)! cheers cheers cheers

My personal thanks to you all.

Just so you all know, Eriniel has been with us since
Date Registered: 05/10/07 at 12:45:26

... and that deserves another round of cheers cheers cheers

GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Male Number of posts : 3070
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Firkin Alechugger
Race: Dwarf
Overall Level: 11

https://web.archive.org/web/20151106073532/http://playnwn.com/

Back to top Go down

A Blast from the Past - OLD FORUM ARCHIVES ... found! Empty Re: A Blast from the Past - OLD FORUM ARCHIVES ... found!

Post  theApparition Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:55 pm

wow. has it really been that long? how old was the server whn Bah and i joined? and many kudos to yourself and eri, Im quite sure it has bee a labor of love yea.
theApparition
theApparition
Supporter
Supporter

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2013-02-05

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Overall Level:

Back to top Go down

A Blast from the Past - OLD FORUM ARCHIVES ... found! Empty Re: A Blast from the Past - OLD FORUM ARCHIVES ... found!

Post  GM_ODA Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:32 am

Friend tApp,
I had started work on the module while I had the hernia - soon after NWN came out. BAH gets credit for introducing me to NWN, insisting that since I was the D&D fellow that I am, I really HAD to look at this new game. I was a little late to the scene buying a copy in the late Fall season of 2002, June 18, 2002 was when the game was released). I became instantly enamored of the toolset - and spent countless hours distracting myself by building and coding.

By Spring of 2006, I had enough built that I was ready to do initial testing in a multiplayer environment - we debuted with the regions you know as Tivook, Esrogoth, Eastern Citadel, Illfaw Fen, Urznark Mts. and Krag's Cliffs... iirc there were a few very skeletal 'other' regions too including the Maze and Brandolay. As noted we opened the server on Mar 20th, 2007.

Eriniel was among the first to visit the server. As some of you know, I have a healthy paranoia - so I was slow to trust, but Eriniel is just so darned clever that I slowly entrusted more and more control over the technical side of the server and module to her as I discovered just how wise the lady is when it comes to hardware and coding. Eventually I handed her the reigns as Lead Scripter and Server co-Admin.

Since those days, the server has been ~99% built by Eriniel and I. I say 99% because, although we have GUEST BUILDERS, their total output has not yet exceeded 1% of our total (bear in mind I _do_ mean it when I say the server offers 1337+ Areas (waaaaay plus).

This is a HUGE project, and a small dev staff overall... but, we are, at long last, nearing completion; nearing the end of BETA. It takes time to script and build something of this scope - and a long while to gather sufficient feedback to debug. Although I had planned a great deal of the module before Eriniel and I met, the range of things that became possible with Eriniel's joining the dev team grew exponentially. Many new systems were adopted/adapted or developed (mostly the latter) since Erin came on-board, and the server has evolved a great deal from my original concepts (and scripting ability).

What you see today - had I not 'clung to the BETA TEST status' would be v.4 or v.5 by now. . . but I really wanted to make sure the systems were all there and all playing happy together. We are almost to that state now, and with systems being finalized, I'll be able to release better tools for GUEST BUILDERS, refine the docs for GUEST BUILDERS and DMs - and roll out the final set of details (NPCs, Monsters, Lairs, Books, and the final version of the Immersion Tools too).

When will it be done? Soon is all I can say. *tastes the soup* Soon.

Sure has been a long time coming.

I like to think it is worth the wait and the effort.

Enjoy the server friends.

GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Male Number of posts : 3070
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Firkin Alechugger
Race: Dwarf
Overall Level: 11

https://web.archive.org/web/20151106073532/http://playnwn.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down