Neverwinter Nights Multiplayer Server 24x7 Now with NWN and NWN:EE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Faction Over-haul?

3 posters

Go down

Faction Over-haul? Empty Faction Over-haul?

Post  BenevolentDevil Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:55 pm

Wonder if it's possible to rework some factions, maybe create more ... reasons I've found:
-If an NPC or animal is unlucky enough to get in the blast radius of a spell , they become hostile to the PC and some NPCs ... causing havoc in other places.
- It seems NPCs can Pick Pocket , or even under certain circumstances, flat out attack you, becoming "hostile" ... if you defend yourself, or make aggression against thieves ... , then a lot of NPCs, and animals go hostile on you, and I think any with Merchant Faction get attacked as well.
( Right now, Etri in Tivook Inn, is going bananas on all normal wandering NPCs.) [ As I see it, someone gets caught PP-ing a character, the character has a right to get aggressive , and upset over it. ]
- HTF , means characters are supposto be able to hunt. ... "Hunting" wildlife, could also be an act of resource gathering ( feathers, hides, ect...) , I hadn't tried a lot of animals, but the only ones that seem to work correctly, and not make all animals and regular NPCs hostile toward you all across the module, are deer.

The idea here, is to set more factions ... I think. Make them appropriately separate , so you don't get module wide problems, and have to wait for reset to have it all fixed.

I maybe over-looking something myself , as I don't know all the systems in place ..., but it seems a few things in this area needs some tweaking.
BenevolentDevil
BenevolentDevil
Forum Courtier

Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2014-12-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Bavmorda
Race: Human
Overall Level: 11

Back to top Go down

Faction Over-haul? Empty Re: Faction Over-haul?

Post  GM_ODA Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:23 pm

Friend Benevolent-Devil,
On that first matter, we have the 'realism' on max so aoe spells impact all in the aoe. Naturally this can anger some factions. I've toyed with the notion of taking that down a notch so that 'non hostile' NPCs are not damaged in aoe, but part of me really likes the idea of making those wizards be more cautious with the grenade like spell use.

It seems NPCs can Pick Pocket , or even under certain circumstances, flat out attack you, becoming "hostile" ... if you defend yourself, or make aggression against thieves ... , then a lot of NPCs, and animals go hostile on you, and I think any with Merchant Faction get attacked as well.

Most of the problem is with the AI. NWN standard AI is really light on the I. Erin has started creating custom AI for groups of creatures, so far, vampires and herbivores are completed. Deer are an in-game example of the herbivores. We will be doing some variations on that soon and propagating it among the other creatures (omnivores and carnivores for example). We have a lot of other AI to do - atm I think Erin is working on the doppelganger AI (which promises to be a fairly complex one). There are still many more to do as mentioned tho, it should go faster as we get more done, we can copy/paste/modify in some cases, with greater ease once we have more basic examples from which to copy in the first place. If you can help me spot any obvious strangeness with factions and AI in game, please do. We can walk thru a few areas you hand pick some day in the near future if you'd be so kind? I know there is some strangeness in the mix, and would like to sort it out where possible.

I'll be happy to share the faction list with you later (will add to this thread) we have a fair number of them atm, but need to deploy a few more perhaps, or better deploy some of the ones we have.

There are a couple kleptomaniac NPCs, I'm not sure they are working 100% as intended atm.

As noted, I think the deer are 100% and should dispense hide and meat items from corpses, is that correct? These systems will propagate to other creatures soon.

GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Male Number of posts : 3070
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Firkin Alechugger
Race: Dwarf

https://web.archive.org/web/20151106073532/http://playnwn.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  BenevolentDevil Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:52 pm

Yes, deer work as far as I can tell.

Kleptos, yes ... I believe that was the start of the issues with AI/factions I was seeing. I was getting PP spammed, ... Natasha is appropriate alignment/Barbarian , and wouldn't just stand there and do nothing about it.
I thought, because the NPCs were thieves, and caught in the act ... She should be able to react appropriately. Doing so I think, messed up the AI/Factions? One of the Kleptos, tossed a grenade=like weapon, that hit an NPC while we were duking it out ... , I think that's where it messed up the merchants fighting regular NPCs.
I died shortly after, so I it reset for me , and I had no idea ... all the way in tivook, the previous events would have triggered Etri bombarding every NPC in her tavern ... Like I said, because I never seen it before , I thought it was a DM doing something at first.
Especially because the NPCs kept spawning in ... which Natasha helped "subdue" (Taking the side of the Innkeeper ), until I got a " Possible farmer" Message, upon which I tried posting to DM channel, it said "No DMs on" ... So , I figured I better slide on out, and wait out/try to ignore things until it settles.

But * nods* we can take a few times/days and do some running through/testing.
BenevolentDevil
BenevolentDevil
Forum Courtier

Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2014-12-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Bavmorda
Race: Human

Back to top Go down

Post  GM_ODA Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:18 pm

Friend B-D,
Many thanks, keep me posted. I may just remove the 'global' nature of the infractions to see if that makes things more manageable too, but I appreciate your help in sorting this out some.

GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Male Number of posts : 3070
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Firkin Alechugger
Race: Dwarf

https://web.archive.org/web/20151106073532/http://playnwn.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:14 pm

The deer do drop hide and meat I believe bears do as well. One of the problems with the auto hostile factions aka Pickpockets and thieves is if you are attacked and defend yourself and you manage to kill one of them you get evil points.

However there is a way to prevent hostility however I will send it to you oda to make sure it is not a meta game issue.
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Number of posts : 2213
Registration date : 2010-07-11

Character sheet
Character Name: Charia/Arys
Race: Half-Elf
Overall Level: 30/30

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down