Resource gathering: hints and suggestions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Resource gathering: hints and suggestions

Post  Elgate on Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:38 pm

Inspired by the xp for crafting thread, this is a thread designed to talk about how/where/what resources are available and suggestions for those. So, we've got:

General places to find resources and tools:
General stores and merchants, Like Nicks in Port Chonda. You can also crate dive, providing you have no issue with breaking the law.

Noob U provides picks and axes- (I believe you're allowed to take them from that area, the chest should respawn?)

General hints:
Invest in a bag of holding or 'Aldross' bag. They're rare, but those that explore might find them, and they might be willing to sell them on. This will allow you to carry ore and Lumber easier. Gem pouches are also useful for sorting out all those little ingredients.

Wood Crafting
Shops to buy resources and tools:
In Dohral Northern Rural, outside of Donnel you can find the 'Woodmonger', who is meant to act much like any other merchant in Dohral- you look through his wood piles, and find the wood you want, then talk to him to buy it. Currently, however, that shop isn't working- but later on, he'd be a great person to talk to to be able to sell your wood, and provide resources for other crafters, using that shop as the general 'wood crafter' hub. He also appears to have some woodworking stands, but none have been made usable.
In Dohral Northern Rural, outside of Egbort there is a Wordworker, who should sell you wood crafting tools, currently, however, that shop isn't working either.
One of the above stores might also, in the future, sell the more refined resources, such as planks and so on?

Currently, I'm not sure if there is a shop that spawns with these tools available. The general stores might sell the tools, but only because other players sold those tools to the shop. I think the only place to reliably find these tools are in the hidden 'Resource treasure' chests, that are very rare and hard to find, or Noob U.

Tools  and ways to gather resources:
Light Wood Axe:
"This is a Light Wood Axe. Don't go lumbering with out this of the larger, more effiecient Woodman's Axe.
Weapon Szie: Small
Feats: Martial or Monk
Base: Handaxe
Weight 5.0

Woodman's axe:
"Great for taking down even the toughest of trees. this is the larger more productive cousin to the Light Wood Axe. NOTE: This makes Lumbering much more efficient."
Weapon size: large
Feats Required: Martial
Base item: Great Axe
Weight: 20.0

Druids 'Florafoster' ability?:
This ability isn't fully working yet, but the idea is that druid's can ask dead trees to give them dry wood, by casting a spell on themselves near the tree (Was it Awaken? need to check that.) This might be expanded to asking for actual branches, and given to Clerics with the plant domain, or druids hoping to provide a more sustainable method of wood cutting.

Where to gather resources:
Oof. Plenty of trees, but I haven't seen any that can be 'chopped' down. Accidentally exploded some with spells before, but that didn't gain any resources. Not sure if there is a method to interacting with these trees. I'll refer to Erin and ODA on that.

I've been told that a few trees have been added in to the wilds- keep an eye out for them. 

Metallurgy 
Not honestly sure. Perhaps the armourers might be a possibility? Once the dwarven lands of the Eastern Citadel is more fleshed out, I'm sure the dwarves would be a great place to go to for mining resources.

Tools and ways to gather resources:
Light Mining Pick
"This is a Light Mining Pick. Don't go mining ore without this or the larger, more efficient Mining Pick."
Weapon Size: Small
Feats: Martial
Base: Light Pick*

Mining Pick
"Don't go mining without one of these. This [is] the larger, more productive cousin to the Light Mining Pick. NOTE: This really makes mining ore much easier."
Weapon size: Medium
Feats: Martial
Base: Heavy Pick*

Currently, I'm not sure if there is a shop that spawns with these tools available. The general stores might sell the tools, but only because other players sold those tools to the shop. I think the only place to reliably find these tools are in the hidden 'Resource treasure' chests, that are very rare and hard to find, or Noob U. 

Where to gather resources:
Naturally, most ore is underground, in boulders labled as '[Mineral] vein'. I've mostly seen Fireagate and copper so far- As a free hint, check out the caves in the Tivook area.
There is also the semi-mythical 'Moondarks', which are caverns and cave systems that supposedly form labyrinths and webs out of criss crossing and seemingly near infinite tunnels. Surely, there will be ore somewhere in those tunnels? Providing you want to risk getting completely lost, with no hopes of getting out again.
There are also other, secret, places to get ore. Hidden caverns and caves, under the control of unpleasant factions, who won't take kindly to tresspassers.

Miners are going to have a tougher time finding places, compared to wood cutters (although currently woodcutters have the problem of not being able to chop the trees they find), as any source of ore that doesn't belong to the dwarves or other authorities is going to be harder to find, and often found in the dark places monsters like to live.

Herbology:
There are a few herbologists and herbalists in Dohral:
Port Chonda (Radra Wentholyan the mystic- interesting dialogue, but no store), Mid Chonda (Lemani Stightas- No items in store), South Donnel(SPICE MERCHANT- no items in store), Mid Donnel (Can't get in, so not sure- but not being able to get in makes it slightly useless Razz ), North Egbort- No merchant at all?.
So currently, no shops sell any goods- however, I'm sure you can sell them goods and start filling these stores.

(I think using the handy 'herb scales' don't add the herbs to the stores. So while quick, these don't help the resources to circulate.)

Tools and where to gather resources:
Currently, herbs are one of the easiest resources to gather. Search the wilds, and the caves- your sure to find them.
Tools:
Herb Bag
This tool is essential to people needing to gather and hoard herbs and mushrooms- it stores all the herbs using a script, so you aren't weighted down by hundreds of tiny leaves, and makes it easier for you to choose what herbs and mushrooms you want. As far as I'm aware, this bag is fully functioning right now, but you need to get the updated version (there shouldn't be the older version floating around, but also best to be safe).
(Not sure where you get this now).

Herbology Gloves:
Gives you bonuses to herbology- not useful for gathering resources, but a good idea to get for making potions.
Herbal Powder:
Again, not useful for gathering, but good for potions.
(These I've only found in rare treasure chests, or the previously mentioned 'resource treasure chests')

Notes and tips:

• Many herbs and mushrooms are poisonous to the touch. Some effects even manage to affect druids, who are immune to poisons. Keep this in mind when going to gather herbs, especially mushrooms. Either get gloves to protect you, or take classes that will help. (I'm certain there are gloves that are meant to help pick dangerous plants, but I haven't found them yet. Druids and shapeshifters, however, tend to cope just fine against the unusual effects of the local flora.)
  • Some plants are seasonal, and some only grow in certain places. Examining them tend to give hints as to when they appear, but you can also keep note of when you find them in the wild and where.
  • Nature classes with the 'scavenge' skill (from the runestone) can scavenge in caves to find mushrooms (Even out of season).
  • Vanimoneth plants always spawn empty (Bug), and some of the cacti have awkward hit boxes, and your character seems unable to get close enough to them to be able to pick them- maybe just blow the up?  tongue

Hunting:
Needing Leather and hides?
Your best bet is deer, which roam the wilds. Not much else to getting hides at the moment.
Fishing and Hunting are more for survival, than crafting.

Enchanting
Resources and tools for this are more nebulous.
The enchanting tables are almost solely found in the college.
Resources, be it skeleton knuckles, ioun stones, quartz- can usually only be found through adventuring.

Poisons:
Tools: Poison taps (I believe can be bought from the 'black market', but many will not know where to find that- of course, if your character is making poisons, I'm sure they'll find out where to go Wink )

I might edit this later as new info comes up, or I see mistakes that need fixing.

Last edited by Elgate on Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Elgate
Forum Sage

Female Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2011-01-31

Character sheet
Character Name: Grace Fennerset
Race: Human
Overall Level: 30

Back to top Go down

Re: Resource gathering: hints and suggestions

Post  Elgate on Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:45 pm

For suggestions:

• Gloves of wielding- gives you the martial feat, lets you hold the tools needed. Or, some other method that allows the more 'craft' based classes to be able to gather their own resources.
  • Stores need filling up- with the basic tools and some resources. The tools should be easy to get, even if the resources aren't.
  • Better methods of carrying ores and lumber- maybe something similar to  the herb bag, but slightly more limited in space? Maybe a 'teleport' type bag- you shove your ore in, it appears in your bank vault?
  • More gear aimed at improving ones gathering abilities- maybe masks and gloves to protect you from those poisonous mushroom fumes, or equipment that lets you mine/chop faster, or to improve your luck so you get more from veins/trees, or helps you gather more from herbs and mushrooms. 

Players need to start selling for coin, and selling to stores, to get the economy going, and the goods circulating- although keep the rare stuff for themselves Wink
Elgate
Forum Sage

Female Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2011-01-31

Character sheet
Character Name: Grace Fennerset
Race: Human
Overall Level: 30

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top