Half-Orcs,and lack of content -

Go down

Half-Orcs,and lack of content -

Post  BenevolentDevil on Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:59 am

NWN has always bugged me in this department ... there's not a lot of content for half orc characters in appearance, soundsets, ect.

They really made the half-orcs look well, odd to put it nice. ( I actually have a few more colorful ways to express that, but we'll keep it PG here Wink )
Especially in female half-orc , even CEP did not seem to give any thought or love to the gender, and what they did in male half-orcs, was give them the gross LotR "look" of full blooded Orcs from Middle earth.

Soundsets ... omg, so Oc cheesey ... Out of all the choices, most don't "fit" many RP characters at all. Theres also very little option for a gruff sounding, half-orc voice sets, unless you use the "I'm stupid and simple" voicesets.

I happen to like Half-Orcs as a "race" , well I also kinda like some of the full-blood "monstrous humanoids" as far as lore goes.
Since I tend to favor barbarians, druids, and more naturey/primal/tribal characters, half-orcs often are some of my first PnP picks ... even given the flaws/limitations present, it makes them ... interesting if one doesn't casually dismiss them all as big dumb brutes or thugs.
BenevolentDevil
Forum Courtier

Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2014-12-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Bavmorda
Race: Human
Overall Level: 11

Back to top Go down

Re: Half-Orcs,and lack of content -

Post  GM_ODA on Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:17 pm

Friend Benevolent Devil,

I agree. Full on LotR orc is kinda cheesy.

Someday, I hope to do a hak pack for the server. It is planned that it should include a few boosts to the races and classes that need the most love. New voice sets are planned (but much work remains to be done on that front as yet - PM me if anyone wants to help with that)... likely we'll include more portraits and the like too when the hak comes round.

96.31.77.127 NWN server requires cep2.1+
24x7 we bring the game.
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Male Number of posts : 2928
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Firkin Alechugger
Race: Dwarf

https://web.archive.org/web/20151106073532/http://playnwn.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  BenevolentDevil on Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:02 pm

On EE side ... portraits are easy to obtain ( no more hunting for specific portrait files ) , I grabbed almost every portrait pack on the workshop.
Putting those in the servers override folder makes it where everyone has access or can see them right?
The only bad part client end wise, character creation screen, takes a while to load up with so many portraits to choose from. I like good portrait packs though, cause many times I will look through in character creation, an base not only IG looks off a portrait ( best as I can) , some also inspire creative builds as well.
( Custom portraits , I had done some before, long ago ... all I remember you gotta have the right specific sizes of each picture. That's all I can remember of it though.)

Boost to creatures/races? As in what specifically just off hand?

Classes wise, only time outside of PRC or Modern D20 haks was I introduced to any real "class additions" ... but I did know one server that altered the 2da files for a few classes ... like the Arcane Archer for instance. For being a PRC "class" and strict requirements on race , it's very under-powered outside the OC content. That server owner, changed by 2da the gained abilities to make it worth playing.
PDK and Harper ...something or another, I dunno I don't play harpers ... were also changed a bit to be worth taking, though IG the "classes" were something else that fit that specific realm.
They were presented as client-side overrides , downloaded from the vault ... and worked that way.

Voice sets, I just somewhat half-jokingly mentioned on NWN facebook community, we should maybe put together a "community voice set project" lol ...
If a bunch of people, contributed the voice acting sound files , lots of variations and varieties ... the hard part would be getting NWN to use said sounds, in proper ways I think. And such is actually beyond my knowledge/skill ... which has never been much.
BenevolentDevil
Forum Courtier

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  GM_ODA on Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:02 pm

Friend Benevolent Devil,

Shocked

OK, it's just a wall of text. I can scale this.... lol!

Seriously though, you touched on lots of good notions there, I will _try_ to not miss any of them in my reply (if I do, forgive me and feel free to nudge the conversation that direction too).

Portraits - are there any portrait packs that are fully vetted for copyright? e.g. something like CEP started out where everything in it was community made content released to the nwn community? I'm leery of using dodgy-sourced art, or endorsing it's use. What's out there? IDK myself, I'm a bit out of touch with the current range of available portraits, maybe you can help enlighten me on that stuff?

You have my curiosity piqued, what boosts did that other server give to the Arcane Archer?

We too have plans to replace PDK, Harper Scout and Cleric of Torm. We feel that the Harper Scout is better handled as a GUILD of many PC types rather than a PRC. We do not include Torm in our supported deities, it is campaign specific (the deity Torm) and so we view it as awkwardly deceptive at best to have a class sporting that name. The PDK is likewise a setting specific thing and we are not that setting. Very Happy We do plan to add 'Psionicist', but are uncertain what other two we will add. We have threads in this forum somewhere asking for feedback on that specific matter - I will link to it later if I get a chance.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Likewise I started an initiative to do this but it got stalled (lack of input, and I could not 'be the cheerleader fulltime' lol, so it languished). I view it as 'on hold until I have sufficient help'. The first step is writing the dialog. I have some of that. The next step is locating the voice talent, I have a number of volunteers on-tap. The next step is stitching it all together... smoothing out the rough parts, doing the audio edits needed. This step is made (possible, perhaps but certainly) easier if the folks doing the recording have a good setup. Shlock setups can make submissions useless, and an unwillingness to cut the bad stuff will give an overall poor impression of the final work. *sigh*

OMG OMG OMG it's another wall! lol!

96.31.77.127 NWN server requires cep2.1+
24x7 we bring the game.
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Male Number of posts : 2928
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Firkin Alechugger
Race: Dwarf

https://web.archive.org/web/20151106073532/http://playnwn.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  BenevolentDevil on Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:24 pm

Portraits - are there any portrait packs that are fully vetted for copyright? e.g. something like CEP started out where everything in it was community made content released to the nwn community? I'm leery of using dodgy-sourced art, or endorsing it's use. What's out there? IDK myself, I'm a bit out of touch with the current range of available portraits, maybe you can help enlighten me on that stuff?

I ... do not know.
Never thought about that until you mentioned it.

Most portrait packs contain many of the same portraits , and there are a few that have some ... ERP supportive nekkidness/nudies in them so you do need to review content of course.
Very few have what I would say is true-custom made content. Most pics seem to have been taken from other games, older ones like baldurs gate, ect ... I think much of it comes from forms of CRPGs. I wouldn't know from which ones ... I have seen a few, not many pics in em that are re-colorized photos of some actor or actresses , photo-shopped to add in background and things like scepters and crowns, changing hair colors, adding elf ears ...
( What's with all the elven fascination anyways? Dwarves are peoples too! )
Other than that ... I do not know.
I would think if there was some licensing issues , those already putting the content up on the workshop would be the ones in trouble for any copywrite violation.
But, I don't really know how all that works or the details behind it to be honest.
--------------------------------------

The AA gained a level progression boost to it's "magical arrows" , some of the abilities were changed ... I do not recall clearly now, but they were boosted to account for harder monsters, custom creatures, and ... well anything beyond/more "powerful/challenging" than OC content could ever touch. I think he might have managed to "relax" the Aa race and specific weapon restriction ... it seemed I had met a halfling "slinger" that the AA class and abilities worked with as well.
I didn't play the AA myself, so I'm just trying to recall from dodgy long term memory , on characters traveling with my Sunite-Palladin.
---------------------------

I'll look at the dialog content more, see what it can jar out of my dusty old brain ... , seems like I recall vaguely the info posted, but back then I was more prone to ignore things , having a lack of knowing what I'd want in the future. Wink

BenevolentDevil
Forum Courtier

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content