Neverwinter Nights Multiplayer Server 24x7 Now with NWN and NWN:EE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why does everyone run everywhere?

3 posters

Go down

Why does everyone run everywhere? Empty Why does everyone run everywhere?

Post  BenevolentDevil Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:43 am

I seen another player on, I was on one side of the Tivook crossing, he came out the inn back door, out of "ear-shot" , plus with the background water noise , I barely heard the door open/close.
I was walking that way , noticed he was running in a blitz back towards the city. I started running, but never got close enough for him to hear me. I lost him him due to that I stepped on an unseen wilderness path transition , got stuck a few moments as I sorted out my climbing/jumping , as I couldn't find an AT back directly.

That got me to thinking, is always running the best thing on RP PWs?
( Eleven characters get the "search/force walk" disabled, and on Steam's NWNEE you can't hold shift and use tab to highlight , it will force you out to steam chat/game page. I believe the guy I seen was elven. )

I generally try to , unless on horse back actually walk most places. Reserving a sprint in "casual" situations, and only run during combat or situations that require running.
I think people miss a lot of things running around , slowing down allows you to absorb more of the surroundings, and catch some clues at times too.

While I'm not trying to tell people how to play of course, I just find it a tad odd to be running full speed everywhere constantly is all.
BenevolentDevil
BenevolentDevil
Forum Courtier

Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2014-12-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Bavmorda
Race: Human
Overall Level: 11

Back to top Go down

Why does everyone run everywhere? Empty Re: Why does everyone run everywhere?

Post  GM_ODA Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:46 pm

friend Benevolent Devil,

I agree. I usually walk anywhere that RP does not demand I run (e.g. emergency response). Clues will be hard to find for those who move with haste in this module - and we try to salt the zones with lots of clues (for those who care to look).

GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Male Number of posts : 3070
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Firkin Alechugger
Race: Dwarf

https://web.archive.org/web/20151106073532/http://playnwn.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Eriniel Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:07 pm

Walk and Run are different keys in the options (Press O) - controls menu.
However Run defaults to 'W' and Walk is undefined.

Personally I put walk as 'W' and use another character further along as Run.

Once that is set your PC should walk with the normal WASD movement controls.
And run only when you choose to, instead of PCs running everywhere like 5 year olds high on sugar.
Eriniel
Eriniel
Lead Scripter

Female Number of posts : 340

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Overall Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  BenevolentDevil Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:57 am

Wonder if a stamina meter would hinder combat too much?
Like you can only run so much, so long before you poot out of energy/breath? then it's a long wait to get the meter back to full before running again?
BenevolentDevil
BenevolentDevil
Forum Courtier

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  GM_ODA Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:21 pm

Friend Benevolent Devil,

Oh I agree.

Twisted Evil

Uh-huh. We actually _do_ monitor the PC's activity level, including running/walking, climbing, swimming, combat, etc. and we accelerate the rate of Fatigue when your PC's activity level is heightened for a protracted time. Other things we factor in are encumbrance and ambient temperature.

GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  BenevolentDevil Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:25 am

If I'm not mistaken, Fatigue though is over-all tiredness, lack of sleep, lack of resting muscles.

Sprinting or running full force , wouldn't that need it's own "stamina" meter?

Like a more short term that while it might effect fatigue depending on how full it is , but it's purpose is to limit the running everywhere.

Say you have 100% "bar" of stamina and walk from the city to tivook ... once at Tivook , you run towards Humfoodale along the road.
Each screen of full running I think should drain about 1/2 or 50% of a full bar, maybe more depending on con?
walking allows stamina to slowly go back up , say maybe a half point every real life minute?
Only by stopping and taking a break , will the stamina go up to normal faster.

Of course resting completely/camping restores the stamina like anything else.

It's just an Idea , maybe Fatigue was intended to work this way too , and I just hadn't played long enough here to notice or see it.
And I walk almost everywhere if not portal hopping , so I hadn't had many instances where my fatigue gets too low between stops.

BenevolentDevil
BenevolentDevil
Forum Courtier

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  GM_ODA Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:09 pm

Friend Benevolent Devil,

Let's try an experiment to find out?

In game, practice with a character, running all day, see how fatigue responds, next day try walking and compare.

In RL, try running everywhere for a whole day and compare how you feel to a whole day of brick laying.

NWN has some limits - among them we cannot stop you from running, though we can make all movement slowed by a % (even 100%) or a fixed amount. Perhaps we should reduce top speed if your PC is fatigued? Feedback?
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  BenevolentDevil Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:14 pm

Possibly. I'll try the running more and see how that effects things ... first.

My idea was like from dayz ... back in the arma2 mod version , same problem really with everyone running everywhere. We jokingly called it a "running simulator" , instead of a survival/Infected simulation.

But, some systems finally limited the running everywhere ( because on RP servers, it wasn't kosher to run everywhere. )
They scripted in a bar , it accounted for encumbrance/weight, how much stuff you were carrying , and how long you could run for.

You wanted to "save" your stamina , not run between towns ... cause if the infected got aggro'd they'd run after you and don't have stamina effects. Which meant, you couldn't out-run them if your stamina wasn't up there.
Of course we are talking more "openworld", with a thousand Kilometers between towns usually too in Dayz. So not sure how to convert same standards to NWN currently , as distances are vastly handled differently.
You'd be faster than a walk, but not full-speed run when stamina dropped. Not fast enough to out-run a horde of infected if so.

Fatigue, Like I said ... I've never tried pushing the limits with it ... and of course the , I forget how to spell it, but number5 potion from Tivook , renders almost all fatigue penalties easily enough.

BenevolentDevil
BenevolentDevil
Forum Courtier

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum