Neverwinter Nights Multiplayer Server 24x7 Now with NWN and NWN:EE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thoughts of a ranger

Go down

Thoughts of a ranger Empty Thoughts of a ranger

Post  Helthan Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:03 am

*Helthan leans back on a tree, looking up at the sunrise, seemingly in deep thought. He takes out a book, and folds it open to a blank page.*

*He sighs, pulls out a pen, and starts scribbling.*

Well, I certainly find myself in a situation I never thought possible. When I first arrived here, I admit, I had no idea of what this land had in store for me.
I now find that I need to clear my head, and get some sort of grasp on my reality, and figure out what I want to do next. Thus me writing this.

*He pauses his writing for a second, as if collecting his thoughts.*

I came here, a lone ranger, looking for adventure. And believe me, adventure I did find.
I made friends surprisingly quickly, the inhabitants of these lands seem friendly towards strangers. Or maybe I just leave a good first impression?
I met two men who almost seemed to be a pair, a strange-looking mage, and a beautiful red-headed elven woman.

I found myself to be very interested in this woman, and I tried to spend as much time together with her as I could.
We would go roaming the woods, hunting goblins and lizardfolk, and sometimes just sit together and chat at Tivook inn.
For each time I met her, for each time we parted ways, I found myself liking her more and more. One day it dawned on me, that I had fallen in love.
Even when I found out about what she had kept secret, when she finally revealed herself to me, my feelings did not change. When I looked upon her, she was as beautiful as ever, and I could not imagine myself thinking about her any differently.

It took me a few years to gather up the courage to tell her about how I felt.
It was at sundown, just before the full moon. We had been chatting by my house by the lake, when I finally mustered up the courage.
I am.. unsure, why I approached it like I did. I told her that I wanted to be like her, to become what she is. At first, she was hesitant, wondering if it was something that I really wanted.
I did my best to ensure her that it was, and after some time trying to convince her, she gave in. She changed right then in front of me, and bit me pretty good in the arm.
By all that is good, I have never felt such an itch like after that bite. Not even the lice compared.

The very next night, with the full moon high above, I changed for the first time. She guided me through my first night, something that I will be forever grateful for, because I think that I would have lost myself completely to the hunger if she hadn't been there.
That very same night, once I had sated my hunger, I confessed to her my feelings.

*He chuckles to himself as he writes.*

Luckily for me, she felt the same for me. That feeling of relief is to this day unmatched by anything I've experienced in my life.
During the coming moons, we spent a lot of time together. Especially during the winter. I have never felt so close to another person as I did during those winter months.
Strangely, we somehow managed to control our urges during those months. I can still smell the scent upon her, and she assures me that she can smell it upon me as well.
I'm guessing it is because we never.. well, did the deed, so to say. Though something tells me that this coming winter, things may be different.

Speaking of, something happened during fall.
A new group of travelers found their way to Tivook. It was interesting, watching them, seeing what they were talking about.
This dwarven lady kept going on about a revolution, though to me it just seemed like a child's game. She did not have any clear plans for her so-called revolution, aside from "making a better life for all people".
I was a bit wary of the woman accompanying her though. I could smell it in the air around her. She was not a normal human like she appeared. My mate informed me later that it was the smell of a succubus I had noticed. I wonder what she is planning, trying to help that dwarven lady with her revolution...

Among these travelers, there was a woman who struck me as strange. She smelled like grave dirt covered in perfume. Back then, I thought it best to leave her alone and didn't think much more of it.
Turns out, she would play a bigger role in my life than I had anticipated. One evening, while wandering the road north towards Tivook, I heard (and smelled) the trogs getting excited over something. I rushed to find out why, to see if they had managed to corner some poor soul. I couldn't just stand by and do nothing if that was the case.
I rushed to where the sounds and smell came from and found the trogs surrounding someone laying on the ground.
I quickly dispatched the group of trogs with my bow and walked up to this someone laying on the ground.
Turns out, it was the grave-dirt-smelling woman from before. Though, now she no longer smelled like grave dirt. Now she only smelled like soot.
I decided to patch her up, it wouldn't do for me to leave someone for dead like that, especially with the trogs around.
Turns out, she had had a run-in with my mate, managed to startle her, and had become infected. Apparently, she had planned to tell me, but circumstances had ruined her plans for that.

I took her under my wing and showed her where and how to hunt, how to manage her newfound hunger. Afterward, I dragged her to the Dohral baths, so she could wash off all that soot.
There I found out that she was considerably more.. free-spirited than I could possibly have anticipated. I have never felt so cornered in my entire life, as I did when she approached me there.
Turns out, she finds both me and my mate incredibly attractive, and she wants part of what we have.

I dared not act on my own accord, fearing that I may hurt my mate if I did. So instead I tried to turn her away the best I could, without coming off as rude.
Later, I went to discuss the matter with my mate. To make it short, we had a long talk after which we decided to make her a part of our pack.
She seemed delighted when she found out that we would include her in our pack, that we would become a kind of family. Though, with me and my mate being.. unsatisfied after last winter, and our newcomer having a seemingly insatiable lust, I must admit I am both fearful and somewhat excited for this coming winter. I only hope I will be able to control myself, with double the stimulation.

*He leans back for a bit, collecting his thoughts.*

Well, I suppose that concludes my worries at this time. I have no idea why I am writing this as if someone is going to read this. This is only for me to pour out what is on my mind after all.

*Helthan closes the book and stows it away in one of his bags. He stands up, turns around and starts heading north along the road that leads to Tivook inn.*
Helthan
Helthan
Posting Knave

Male Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2016-06-06

Character sheet
Character Name: Helthan Ungast
Race: Half-Elf
Overall Level: 10

Back to top Go down

Thoughts of a ranger Empty Re: Thoughts of a ranger

Post  Helthan Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:01 pm

*Helthans stomach growls loudly, and he watches Mia get up from her chair, and walk over to the spit by the fire and start cooking*

*As he watches his mate cook, he drifts off into his thoughts*

I really am a lucky man. I cannot deny that.
Here I sit, with the most beautiful woman lovingly cooking a meal for me. How could I possibly ask for anything else?

*He watches her as she adds spices to whatever she is making*

I wonder, maybe Bav would love to get invited here sometime?
Though, I'd have to ask Mia about that first. My house HAS become our little safe place away from others, and I think she'd like to keep it that way. Though, inviting her over for dinner wouldn't be wrong, would it?

I wonder what she's up to, that Bav. I may not express it much, but I have become rather attached to her. I suspect Mia is the same, I can sometimes sense the smell of one on the other.
Not that it bothers me, it's good that they get along. But maybe I should start engaging both of them more than I've done until now?
Maybe I'll give it a try...

*He sniffs the air, smelling something delicious just as Mia calls for him that the food is done*

Well, that will have to wait. I am far to hungry now.
Helthan
Helthan
Posting Knave

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Helthan Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:29 am

*Helthan draws his bow, and aligns the tip of his arrow with a pear on the tree a bit over two dozen yards in front of him*

*He lets the arrow loose, sending it flying through the air, where it hits the branch above the pear, knocking down a total of four pears. He chuckles to himself*

Well, not exactly what I imagined, but the end result was better.

*He walks forward, picks up a pear from the ground, and takes a bite out of it. With his teeth still buried in the pear, he sits down leaning aginst the tree*

I know what I need to do. Or, well, what I want to do. After my talk with Bav, hearing about her thoughts and worries, I made up my mind.
All I need now is to find Mia, wherever she went off to, and gather up our pack. Though, it might be best to talk to her in private first, before I say anything to Bav.

This winter will most definetly be an interesting one. And who knows, maybe there'll be more than three of us in the pack before it comes around again.

*He swallows the last peice of his pear, and rises up. He sniffs the air while looking around, then starts walking north. He chuckles to himself as he says...*

I must gather my pack, the alpha has an announcement to make.
Helthan
Helthan
Posting Knave

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Helthan Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:02 am

*Helthan picks up a flat stone from the ground, takes a second to focus, and then throws the stone out over the lake, watching it skip 3 times before it sinks down into the depths. Though he seemed focused on his stone-skipping, his thoughts had long since drifted off somewhere else. He paused for a second, staring blankly out over the lake*

Bav is right. It has been too long since I made contact with my mother.
Though, simply writing to her now, after all these years, I don't think that'll do.
No, I must set out on the trails once again, walk the paths I once walked, and find my way back to where I came from.

*He turned his head, looking back at his house. He turned and walked inside, finding Bav and Mia peacefully resting by the hearth. He smiled to himself, walked up to them and gave each of them a soft peck on the cheek, so as not to wake them up. He then walked over to the table, pulled out a wrinkled piece of parchment from his pocket, and started scribbling*

"Dear Bav & Mia.
I am writing this for the reason that when you wake, I will no longer be here.
I have taken Bavs words to heart, that it has been too long since I spoke with my mother, and thus I am now setting out to find my way back to her.
Now, I don't want you to worry. I have traveled these baths before, at a time when I was much weaker than I am now. But know that I will be gone for a long time.
Winter will probably already have come when I return if it hasn't already mostly passed by then. But I promise to the two of you that I will return.

I love the both of you, and this place is our home, a place that I will always return to, for as long as my legs will carry me.
Now, this is farewell. I hope I don't worry you too much with my sudden departure.

Yours truly,
Helthan

P.S.
Please make sure that the house still stands when I return. Don't go too wild."

*He folds the parchment as neatly as possible and leaves it laying out on the table, clearly visible. He walks towards the door, but pauses just before his hand touches the handle. He looks over his shoulder at the two sleeping beauties behind him. He takes a deep breath, smiling warmly at the sight he will now leave behind him. He opens the door, walks out and closes it as quietly as possible. He takes a big sniff of the air outside, before taking his first determined step on the long road ahead of him*
Helthan
Helthan
Posting Knave

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Helthan Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:07 am

*Helthan walks through the dense woods. He has wandered for a while now. He didn't care to count the days, since that would just make him miss home even more, making this quest of his even more difficult.
His hand moves to one of his many pockets, where he now kept the letter that Bav had sent him using Kaw. He looked up, and found that the bird was still following him, watching over him on Bavs behalf.*

*He felt that he must be getting close. He had wandered far, and these woods seemed very familiar. Almost even homely.
As he thought this, the trees seemed to disperse in front of him, revealing a small grove with a tiny, run-down house, barely big enough for a single person.
He stopped and hesitated for a moment. After all, how many years had it been since he'd seen his mother last?*

*Helthan walked up to the tiny house and knocked on the door.
A surprised "Who's there?!" was heard from inside.
Helthan smiled to himself, and said...*

"Someone who's been missing you, all these years."

*He could hear hurried footsteps approaching the door, followed by the door swinging wide open, forcing him to jump back as to not get hit in the face with it.
In the doorframe stood an elderly, but healthy looking woman. Her hair was gray, the wrinkles on her face were many. Her eyes were dark brown, like the bark of an oak, and filled with tears. Just like his own. There was no mistaking it, he had known instinctively when he had heard her voice. This was the woman he had been looking for.*

*He smiled warmly, tears of happiness rolling down his cheeks, as he spoke.*

"Hello mother, I have returned home."

*The aging woman rushed forward, embracing Helthan like a mother would embrace her child. Her tears and cries of happiness made anything she said impossible to recognize, but he understood the feelings she wanted to convey.
After a few moments standing there in the grove, she let go of him, and led him inside, where they sat down at a small, run-down table, and began talking.*

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*They had sat there for hours, as the sun went down.
Helthan had told his mother about his life. About his travels, about the people he had met. He had talked about Mia and Bav, and his house by the lake.
He had also told her about his lycanthropy, not wanting to hide anything from his own mother, but fully prepared for her to react negatively.
Turns out, she just nodded understandingly and reached out to hold his hand, reassuring him that she would not love him any less for what he's become.*

*Helthan turned his head to look out the window, seeing Kaw sitting there on a branch, watching him.
He opened up the window, and held up his arm, inviting the big black raven to perch upon it.
The bird gracefully took flight and perched on his arm a moment later. Helthan was surprised how light the bird was, for its size.
He then began talking to the raven, as if Bav was there on the other side to hear him.
He told the raven about his journey, and about how he planned to stay here for a few days, before returning home.
When he was done talking, he let the raven down on the window-ledge, and let it decide for itself were it wanted to go.*

*He turned back to his mother, and they resumed their chat.
The sun was almost up when they finally had gone to sleep.
In his final moments before the sleepiness swallowed him, he had a single thought...*

I wish I could bring Bav and Mia here sometime. I think mother would've loved to meet them...
Helthan
Helthan
Posting Knave

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Helthan Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:53 am

*Helthan strolled through the woods north of Dohral. He had been wandering around for a few hours now, purposefully leaving all manner of tracks and signs of his passing as possible, crossing paths he had walked to purposefully throw off anyone who'd try to follow him. He grinned as he did this, as he knew that there were two people who definitely would pick up his trail and that they would be endlessly frustrated not being able to follow it properly.*

Ah, how I love the cold winter breeze. I look forward to the warm hearth back home, but first I shall dedicate myself to this chase I am leading them on.

*He chuckled as he kept on walking. Soon, there wouldn't be an inch in the entire Tivook area he had not been on, and he hoped Bav and Mia would be as thrown off as he hoped they'd get.
Now, if only he could sneak home undetected, to be there when they eventually gave up following his trail and returned home. Oh how he longed to see the look upon their faces.*
Helthan
Helthan
Posting Knave

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Helthan Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:41 am

*Helthan opened his eyes, finding himself still laying by the fire. To his surprise, he found Mia sleeping next to him. This was not where he had remembered falling asleep, but he shrugged it off as either moving around in his sleep, or Bav having moved him*

*He sat up, looking around. Bav was nowhere to be seen. He didn't think much more of it, as the experience from last night was still fresh in his mind*

I.. just.. wow...
I had no idea something could feel so good, be so fulfilling. It feels like I've awakened to a whole new world.
I can now understand what has Bav so excited. It would be an easy thing, to get addicted to this.
Though, as the alpha, and soon to be a father.. well, I need to keep face. Can't go losing control over something like this.
Though, I MAY take Bav up on her approaches, from time to time. I'd feel bad, if I left her out. And I suspect Mia won't have an issue with this, since they haven't really been trying to hide what they've been doing when I'm not around.

*He straigthens out Mias hair, that had tangled up some while she was sleeping. He stood up, and walked over to the window, looking out*

I know Bav, and to some extent Mia, is trying to pressure me into engaging in these activities with both of them, at the same time. While I don't have anything against such activities, I think it may be a bit early for me to "go big" so to speak. I think I prefer just going one-on-one, at least until I get used to this...

*He keeps staring dreamily out the window, completely lost in his thoughts*
Helthan
Helthan
Posting Knave

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Helthan Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:57 am

*Helthan paced back and forth, fuming with anger. He had searched around the area, making sure he knew every path in and out of this grove. The only thing he found aside from the temple itself, were more of those vines he despised so much. They had become the victim of his anger, and he lashed out at them whenever he had the chance, caring not for how deeply their lashing vines cut his flesh.
For the time being, he had chopped up all the vines in the vicinity, but he knew there'd be more soon.*

This is unforgivable. Absolutely unforgivable. They have attacked our sanctuary, endangered my loved ones and the unborn. They have chased me out of my home.

*He kept pacing back and forth, swinging his sword at any particularly long straw of grass he crossed, chopping it in half.*

I will find them. These rakshasa, it must be they who are behind this. I will track them down, rend their flesh, make them suffer.
I care not about their motives anymore, they made this personal. They threatened my family, and I will no longer show any mercy!

*He stabbed his sword into the ground, and let out a furious howl that echoed out into the night, as his anger caused him to change once again.*
Helthan
Helthan
Posting Knave

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Helthan Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:26 am

*Helthan opened his eyes and found himself back on the temple grounds. This "spirit walking" as Bav described it was useful to be sure, but the sensation of doing so made him feel very uncomfortable. He looked around and found Mia still sleeping in the spot where he had left her. He walked over and sat down leaning against the same tree as he did before, pulled out his journal and started writing.*

To sum up what has happened today; Bav managed to calm me down, though she DID awaken certain... urges she helped to take care of.
After all that was done, we had a long talk where I filled her in with my thoughts on who is behind these recent events, and what motivations they might have.
We've managed to conclude three things so far:

Firstly, the rakshasa want something from us. If they wanted us dead, I wouldn't be writing this.

Secondly, the priest who bestowed this Quest upon me. I need to find him, and try to contact this diety of his. I believe there is something to gain from doing this.

Thirdly, we need allies. As strong as we are, we cannot do this by ourselves. Bav managed to locate that red-headed woman she mentioned a while ago. Rannie Steel, her name was. My gut tells me she can be trusted, and she has agreed to help us in any way she can. I'll have to make sure to find a way to reward her for her efforts, once all this is over.

*He hears something, looks up and sees Bav walking towards them, looking tired. He closes his journal, stowing it away in one of his bags, and beckons Bav to come join them by the tree.*
Helthan
Helthan
Posting Knave

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Helthan Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:26 am

*Helthan sits leaning against a tree, his legs crossed and four tiny pups sleeping in his lap. He looks over to Mia, who is sleeping peacefully beside him. He smiles to himself, returning his gaze to the pups*

Well, the time finally came. Took a bit longer than expected, but here we are. I must admit, at first I was unsure whether or not I would be a good father. But now, sitting here with my children, and Mias and Bavs constant reassurance that I'll be a good father... well, I'm starting to believe that they are right.

*He begins caressing the pups gently, taking in their feel, smell, looks. He still smiles to himself, looking very content with his situation*

Cerolon. Herdan. Samira. Aria.
The names Mia and I picked for the pups. Two sons, two daughters. I think their names suit them well.
Bav is overjoyed, to no one's surprise. She had brought Rannie back with her, who also seemed incredibly happy at the sight of the pups. Well, who could blame her? I don't think I've ever seen anything cuter than these little furballs.

And now, Rannie knows about us.
I think we can trust her. At first, I was worried she only sought our kind four our strength, but I was proved wrong.
Bav seems to like Rannie a lot, but she's holding herself back, that I can tell. I wonder how all this will play out...

Now, if only we could return home, and not have to be stuck at this temple anymore...
Helthan
Helthan
Posting Knave

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Helthan Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:21 am

*Helthan stalks through the woods, hiding in the trees and bushes, keeping out of sight. Before him, in the middle of a grove, stands a single confused bugbear. Its brethren lay dead around it, arrows embedded in their heads. Helthan takes a deep breath and draws another arrow*

Alright, once more. Focus...

*He takes a second to focus, arcane energies flowing through his arms and into the arrow. He lets it loose, it soars through the air for barely a second, before it plants itself right in the middle of the bugbears eyes, knocking it back by the force of the impact. Helthan chuckles to himself*

Why didn't I think of this before? Using magic together with my bow and arrows, how many possibilities can there be?
Helthan
Helthan
Posting Knave

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Helthan Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:44 pm

*Helthan opens his eyes, finding himself still in the same spot as where he fell asleep last night. He looks down, and finds something that hadn't been there the day before. It was a letter from Bav. He opened it up, and started reading.*

*Hours later, he finally put the letter down. He had read it over and over, hoping that he read something wrong, that it hadn't become this bad. He knew that she didn't particularily like when he left for his walks, but he had no idea it was this bad. He pulled out some old parchment out of his pocket, and a pen, and began to scribble*

Dear Bav
I had no idea it had gotten this bad, that my neglect could cause these things.
I know that you don't like when I wander, but I cannot help myself. It's just that sometimes I need to be alone, and clear my mind. And so, I wander. I have always wandered, and I will most likely never stop.
But I understand, at least somewhat, how you feel. Thus, I want you to await my return. There is something I need to say, and something I need to do.

Yours truly,
Helthan

*He rolled the peice of parchment up, and gave a sharp whistle. After a few moments, a hawk came soaring down, and perched on a low-hanging branch away from him. He explained to the hawl, the best he could with their limited vocabulary, what he needed it to do. He told it to take the peice of parchment and deliver it to Bav. Of course, he promised it a tasty treat upon its return. Thus, he let the hawk fly, carrying the letter away beyond the horizon. He sighed, and returned to the task at handz
Helthan
Helthan
Posting Knave

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Helthan Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:05 pm

*Helthan leans back against the wall, Mia wrapped in his arms, sleeping. It had been too long since they've been alone together at the house, and they had enjoyed it thoroughly. He runs his fingers through Mias hair, untangling the mess he caused during the night. He was humming softly to himself, enjoying the moment he found himself in.*

Lively as she is, sometimes it is nice not having Bav around. It's been a long time since Mia and I had the chance to enjoy ourselves like this.
There's no place I'd rather be, than here, sitting in this house, with this beautiful woman in my arms.
Well.. it would have been nice if Bav and Ranny were here. Have the whole pack together in one place.

*He shrugs and goes back to grooming Mia, humming contently to himself*
Helthan
Helthan
Posting Knave

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Helthan Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:27 pm

*Helthan walks out of the woods, a bundle of twigs in his arms, and proceeds to carefully place them on top of the campfire. Across from him sits Aria, poking the fire with a stick of her own. Helthan walks around the fire, and sits down next to her.*

*Aria turns to face her father, and asks*

Dad? I've been wondering. What's the story behind our house? Did you build it yourself? It's a bit too isolated to have hired builders, is it not?

*Helthan turned to face her, chuckling softly*

Well, it's a bit of a story.
A long time ago, I was out wandering simply because I had nothing better to do. It was then that I came upon that spot. It was so quiet and calm, so isolated from everywhere else, it was like it was another world. I immediately thought to myself that if I ever were to settle down somewhere, it would be there.
And as it happens, a few weeks later I came upon a wizard who was eager to sell something he called a magic dice. He explained to me that-

Wait a minute, you just bought a magic dice from a wizard you didn't know? What if it had been something dangerous? I know you have a bad habit of seeing the good in everything, but come on...

*Helthan chuckles once again*

Now now, be calm Aria, and let me finish my story.
Now, where was I? Oh right, the magic dice. You see, this magic dice worked in the way that once you threw it on the ground, it would magically turn into a fully-furnished house. Of course, I was eager to buy it off of him, since I had found the perfect spot a few weeks before.
So I did. Cost me a small fortune, mind you. But it was all worth it. And that's the story of how that house came to be there.

Well, I guess that does answer my question...
But I still think it was stupid of you to just trust some random wizard you just met, just like that.

*Helthan reaches out to Aria, patting her gently on her head, with a huge grin on his face*

Well, all's well that ends well, am I right?
Helthan
Helthan
Posting Knave

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content