Neverwinter Nights Multiplayer Server 24x7 Now with NWN and NWN:EE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paladin Mount and Riding: Request and Questions

2 posters

Go down

Paladin Mount and Riding: Request and Questions  Empty Paladin Mount and Riding: Request and Questions

Post  Cyan Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:07 am

So Khalil is ready to get his own loyal steed and I've been prompted to ask a DM if they'd be willing to help me obtain this mount through a small quest.

If a DM is interested in helping me with this, I'd be more than happy to arrange a time and discuss ideas, but I also have a few questions on how the Paladin Mount system works here and what sort of mounts are available and how the server treats them lore wise.

I know how mounts typically work in NwN. In PnP 3.5, I recall that while Paladin mounts are often horses, they tended to be 'celestial horses'- much like a summoned monster, they were animal spirits from one of the outer planes:
3.5 SRD wrote:Special Mount (Sp)
Upon reaching 5th level, a paladin gains the service of an unusually intelligent, strong, and loyal steed to serve her in her crusade against evil. This mount is usually a heavy warhorse (for a Medium paladin) or a warpony (for a Small paladin).
Once per day, as a full-round action, a paladin may magically call her mount from the celestial realms in which it resides. This ability is the equivalent of a spell of a level equal to one-third the paladin’s level. The mount immediately appears adjacent to the paladin and remains for 2 hours per paladin level; it may be dismissed at any time as a free action. The mount is the same creature each time it is summoned, though the paladin may release a particular mount from service.
Each time the mount is called, it appears in full health, regardless of any damage it may have taken previously. The mount also appears wearing or carrying any gear it had when it was last dismissed. Calling a mount is a conjuration (calling) effect.
Should the paladin’s mount die, it immediately disappears, leaving behind any equipment it was carrying. The paladin may not summon another mount for thirty days or until she gains a paladin level, whichever comes first, even if the mount is somehow returned from the dead. During this thirty-day period, the paladin takes a -1 penalty on attack and weapon damage rolls.
In 3.0 I believe there was no time duration on how long the mount was summoned and there was no penalty if the mount died (but the paladin had to wait a year before trying to summon again).

The 'summoned from another plane' seems to fit the flavour of this server, as I heard Horses in Dohral all count as planar summons (Native outsider or just outsider? Does it matter?). So a paladin bonding with one of these creatures and calling them across makes sense and I'm curious as to how one goes about finding one of these celestial mounts to bond with.

And while I'm not interested in an exotic mount I wonder if they're available? I think the CEP Dohral uses only has 'mountable' models for horses (As in, those are the only models adjusted so they match the mounted phenotype pose- you could stick other creatures in the Tail slot, they just look a little more awkward).

And how does mounted combat/feats work here? Some NwN Modules have specific scripts for, Riding, Mounted Combat, Mounted Archery and specific uses for the Ride skill. I know 3.0/3.5 had some very specific uses for riding (In fact I remember make home rules around it to simplify it so you didn't have to roll the dice three times before doing anything on your turn if you were mounted- that rather than needing to pass a DC on certain checks, you just needed a set amount of ranks in the skill to pull off the move).

So, a bit of a long waffling post, but the short version is:
* I'm ready for a Paladin Mount Quest.
* How are Paladin mounts treated Narratively?
* What mounts are available?
* Are there any modifications to how Mounts work on this server?
* How does riding and it's associated skill/feats work on this server?
Cyan
Cyan
Posting Knave

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2018-11-04

Back to top Go down

Paladin Mount and Riding: Request and Questions  Empty Re: Paladin Mount and Riding: Request and Questions

Post  GM_ODA Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:26 am

Friend Cyan,

Most excellent questions! Very Happy

First, thank you for posting. I like to send players with Paladins to the forum to give all our active DMs an alert on the matter, gives all of them a chance to synch with your schedule. If nobody else does, I'll certainly oblige your quest request... but I'll give it a week or so to see which of the other DMs might be interested first.

Posting here this request also helps set an example for others who might read the forum and otherwise not know of this nifty Paladin feature. There is nothing so useful as a searchable text hurrah! Very Happy

PLACEHOLDER HERE AS I WILL REPLACE THIS TEXT WITH DETAILS ON THE PALADINS WARHORSE AND HOW IT WORKS HERE IN DOHRAL, RIDING AND ALL. brb after a search of some thumb drives Very Happy
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Male Number of posts : 3070
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Firkin Alechugger
Race: Dwarf
Overall Level: 11

https://web.archive.org/web/20151106073532/http://playnwn.com/

Back to top Go down

Paladin Mount and Riding: Request and Questions  Empty Re: Paladin Mount and Riding: Request and Questions

Post  Cyan Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:21 pm

Just giving this a little nudge.
Cyan
Cyan
Posting Knave

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2018-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down