Registration date : 2010-03-30

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race: Human
Overall Level: 40

Back to top Go down

Re: Server lags - need a reboot

Post  GM_ODA on Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:22 pm

Note, not all lag is caused by server issues, often excessive inventories on PCs can cause lag - example, the PCs I see on there now have each more than 20 containers on them, all chokablock full of stuff, most carry more than 600lbs of gear. When such PCs are logged in, their inventory takes up memory space (resources) and can cause lag directly.

Bioware limited PCs to six pages as a top end and it is good sense to keep the total to a bit less than max rather than just pile on 20-30 containers and fill those.

2 PCs viewed now have

a) 700 lbs + and in excess of 50 containers (I won't count higher in this case),
b) 127 lbs gear and 16 containers

Resets don't help much under such strange loads. Try dropping some of the overloaded PC's gear into the safe at the bank and see if the lag does not vanish.

Be well. Game on.
G

P.S. I'll restart if this test does not solve it.
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Male Number of posts : 2686
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Firkin Alechugger
Race: Dwarf
Overall Level: 11

http://playnwn.hopto.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  eve_of_disaster on Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Well... Zaiah has that kind of inventory but I've played before without lag with her. Also I've only played her for a little while today.

Anyway. I'll see if I can't make her inventory a little less full.
eve_of_disaster
Forum Courtier

Female Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2010-03-30

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race: Human
Overall Level: 40

Back to top Go down

Post  GM_ODA on Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:54 am

Thanks - all items in inventory take resources, when a number of such highly loaded PCs login, it drains system resources rather significantly. We have systems like the dreaded Bag Bugs that attack gear found in concentrations of magical bags (laying eggs in them - the results are quite nasty) as a dis-incentive to PCs to hoard too many such bags. With all the heavy-loaded PCs online yesterday, the ping was 300ish, now it is a normal 65 again. I know we primates have a tendency to hoard gear, esp when we don't actually lug it around ourselves, but remember, you have a bank vault you can store un-needed gear in, and should use it for any overage of inventory if for no other reason than just to keep the lag down.

Thanks.

Let me know how your experience on this front. Remember, for every six bags you have effectively DOUBLED the inventory your PC can carry - and what the game intended a PC could do, and this means DOUBLE THE AMOUNT OF MEMORY required too.

Be well. Game on.
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Male Number of posts : 2686
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Firkin Alechugger
Race: Dwarf
Overall Level: 11

http://playnwn.hopto.org/

Back to top Go down