The Champion of Torm

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Champion of Torm

Post  Ragdoll_Knight on Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:51 am

The reason the CoT is locked, for now, because of the fact that Torn is not in existence in our world. However, I have an idea to fix that.

But first, we come to the guards of dohral, our first change is to rename the highguard, and give them a revamping, they are to become Knights, Dohral's army, taking them from paladin, holy warriors, and. Turning them into mighty warriors for a cause.

Now, I've done some Googling, and it seems like the champion of torm is more of a Knight than a paladin. So that's my idea, players can play CoTs by joining as a Knight, giving them the chance to request "missions" too (routing bandits, other typical knightly stuff) but would also place them in Dohral's army force as well. DMs wont have to make their own NPC knights, and the guards would be better respected. (Since knights are garrisoned for protection as well)

Post your own ideas about how we could get this class IG, and hopefully we can get this in.
Ragdoll_Knight
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 874
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Character sheet
Character Name: Tony
Race: Human
Overall Level: 32

Back to top Go down

Re: The Champion of Torm

Post  eve_of_disaster on Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:25 pm

The original CoT class was very nice because it offered the freedom to make a paladin-like character that didn't have to go the very strict path of Lawful Good, so as long as being a highguard doesn't put you on a super-narrow path to roleplaying your character I love the idea. Smile

The original name for the class is Divine Champion, which was revamped for nwn by Bioware into the champion of torm for the single player campaign. Basically there is no specific Torm-class. I have no idea why Bioware did this to the class, however why this server would forgo simply regarding the CoT as the Divine Champion class, is even stranger to me. The -only- thing preventing this class from being used on the server is the last part of the name of the class. I've seen literally hundreds of classes roleplayed differently than the name on its own suggests. To me there seems to be little reason to not implement the Divine Champion class (wether or not renaming the CoT-class is possible) into the game and say "screw biowares name-choices, lets play this as the DnD-team originally intended".
eve_of_disaster
Forum Courtier

Female Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2010-03-30

Character sheet
Character Name:
Overall Level: 40

Back to top Go down

Post  Ragdoll_Knight on Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:48 pm

The whole idea of changing the highguard to CoT would be to allow more variations of personality into the rankings , rather than the paladin-like "derp no evil" standard these days. A CN being more prone to take a bribe, and other such flavors of people

CoT, to me, seems to me the sort of class one would find in an army. Armies, as far as RP is concerned, seem more the thing one would want. Guaranteed action, power, advancement and rankings. Good stuff.
Ragdoll_Knight
Forum Sage

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  eve_of_disaster on Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:41 am

I'm sold. Smile
eve_of_disaster
Forum Courtier

Character sheet
Character Name:

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaos1987 on Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:00 am

Eve actually brings up a good point here. What about the class is Torm specific, other than the name? Anyone?

Yes, I thought so. You can easily name it the Champion of Helm, or Champion of Sune, or Champion of *Insert good and maybe neutral depending on alignment god here*. For a class as specifically named as it is, it's a very general class with very general bonuses. I don't know why it would be a big fuss to let PCs take the class, but RP themselves as a champion of their god of choice. Within reason, of course. Maybe worshiping a good or lawful neutral god could be an RP prerequisite? That's a better answer than outright banning the class altogether because of it's name.

The point is, battle wise, it's just a fighter with a few paladin-like quasi feats. And RP-wise, it could be quite a few things.
Khaos1987
Posting Knave

Male Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2010-10-21

Character sheet
Character Name: Kross
Overall Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  Ulrek on Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:23 am

I would point out one thing. when it comes to knights/paladins.

Paladins have powers given to them by their gods.

Knights do not. and unless they are a holy knight. if they have powers. they would either be leadership based. or ironicly you could mix fighter/bard and call that a knight with high CHA who is a strong leader of men. and uses the song power as a leadership aura for friendly PCs or NPCs followers.

Divine Champions are more like a holy knight. than a true paladin. but they're stilll deity based more or less..

Also. for one last bit to point out about knights... a "Knight" is a noble. or some other person given that title. other than the power to tell peasants what to do it doesn't really give you magic powers... unless you gain them from other source. ^,..,^

-Ulrek-
Ulrek
Posting Knave

Male Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2009-06-02

Character sheet
Character Name: Cord Vinsack
Overall Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  eve_of_disaster on Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:28 am

CoT don't have magic.
eve_of_disaster
Forum Courtier

Character sheet
Character Name:

Back to top Go down

Post  Ragdoll_Knight on Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:04 pm

CoT have some magical feats, but those can be modified to be more in tune with the highguard / Knights of Dohral, being the name of the military force
Ragdoll_Knight
Forum Sage

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Ragdoll_Knight on Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:52 am

Now, lets not just grab one idea and go with it, I want to hear other ideas about how we can get this class integrated into our world
Ragdoll_Knight
Forum Sage

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaos1987 on Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:13 pm

Maybe you could have the gods make the players do a quest to become their champion, and when they do, they have a faith bar just like clerics. When it gets low, they can't use their abilities, like a fallen paladin.
Khaos1987
Posting Knave

Male Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2010-10-21

Character sheet
Character Name: Kross
Overall Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  eve_of_disaster on Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:31 pm

Khaos1987 wrote:Maybe you could have the gods make the players do a quest to become their champion, and when they do, they have a faith bar just like clerics. When it gets low, they can't use their abilities, like a fallen paladin.

A faith bar is a truely unique and cool idea. I'd love that so much. o.o
eve_of_disaster
Forum Courtier

Character sheet
Character Name:

Back to top Go down

Post  Ragdoll_Knight on Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:45 pm

Perhaps we could even allow the Divine Champion to invoke their deity, for smites, healing, buffs, like a custom spell system.
Ragdoll_Knight
Forum Sage

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  saibotxor on Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:23 pm

Just thought I'd add my own opinion to this thread and say that I think the class is unique enough and adds enough being a compromise between paladin and fighter that it should be kept in as is, and added to not taken away from. It adds options for making a fighter, paladin, or cleric unique enough without being in any way overpowered or useless, so it's a valuable class to leave open. Ways I could see it implemented would be:
-Adds prayer option to menu if not already a cleric or paladin
-No spells, that's the compromise paladins and clerics have to make by taking it, giving up spells for feats
-Add uses per day to divine wrath, to bring it in line with or more useful than barbarian rage, since a barbarian doesn't need charisma(Level 5=1 per day, 10=2, additional use every 4 levels in epic?)
-Possibly a choosable epic only feat allowing a once per day holy sword spell like ability, as well as being counted as a paladin for purpose of wielding a holy avenger

saibotxor
Posting Knave

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2010-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Shar on Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:38 am

I say use the D&D divine champion idea. Reasons are simple, the divine champion in D&D was created with good pc's in mind and invoking a good deity it really shouldn't need modified (unless you want to just change the name in a hak update) also it is balanced by the D&D system itself. After all it has a polar opposite that everyone seems to have forgotten about the "blackguard".

This being the case, it doesn't seem unreasonable to assume that the the two were in fact meant to compliment (or perhaps negate) the other. however before someone sounds the "your leaving the people on the fence without a hero!" alarm, i will add that that is where the druids come in. druids having no deity (or a nature one) they seem to have been toned down a bit for nwn but in classic D&D they were in fact quite rare and more along the lines of a prc in terms of acquisition and leveling. if anyone remembers back to second edition there was normally only one druid of any given order per geographical aria. So there you have it, everything is already done by the makers and if the name bugs you THAT much just change the name in a hak update.

Also i agree on the point of knights, a knight was considered minor nobility and quite often were even granted the fief of governing a small region (usually no more than a small town or village but still). For someone to just "become" a knight was virtually unheard of unless you did something to REALLY impress the local nobility.

People other than nobility could become professional soldiers but were referred to as "men-at-arms" and not knights. these (complemented by militia) usually formed the backbone of an army or towns defense for most kingdoms after the fall of the Roman Empire, as there remained no government strong or stable enough to muster such a well disciplined and professional army. The only exception to this rule (however temporary was Byzantium.

On a Final Note i recommend that no one ever drink a caffeinated beverage past 6:00 pm (your time) otherwise you will be up all night and have nothing to do except wright an essay length post on the forums....

Shar
Forum Vizier

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2012-01-15

Character sheet
Character Name: Ne'Sekoleth
Race:
Overall Level: 20

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content