Neverwinter Nights Multiplayer Server 24x7 Now with NWN and NWN:EE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Special Subtype Suggestions

5 posters

Go down

Special Subtype Suggestions Empty Special Subtype Suggestions

Post  Ragdoll_Knight Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:55 pm

So these are my Infection Subtype suggestions, since I feel they could use some changes. These are my notes, and i wrote them as I thought of them, so please bear with me if they're not as clear as I hope.

Why we should change Lycanthrope/Other Subtype Attribute Bonuses from Magical to Natural:
Lycanthropy affects the body. It changes you into a deadly killing machine. Your muscles grow, you require more meat to support your new increased metabolism (Hunger x2 Thirst /2 Fatigue /2). Your Regen, which is now +20, i When struck with a silver weapon your regen is removed for One Week (Fortitude Save DC:25 for 3 Days instead) and you loose any Attribute Bonus granted from Lycanthropy. Your HTF rate also multiplies by 4 to compensate for the Silver Poisoning. (Fort Save DC:25 for X2 instead)
When you first gain Lycanthropy (Before the first full moon) your character will have a 80-15% chance to enter Rage (Based on a will save done on Infection. Will 45 for 15%, 35 for 35% 25 for 55% 15 for 75 and 5 for 80%. Done when first infected.) when in combat. This is also experienced DURING the full moon for all (without the Will save) and will cause Hybrid Form to activate (Hybrid Form always activates when Rage is. Possibly for *howl* too.) After 3 Full Moon cycles the percentage drops down by 10 (Until 15%, only High DF bonuses go lower.) This represents the Lycanthrope's ability to control the beast.
The Lycanthrope becomes more Beastlike and Instinctual over time. Each Winter Season the Werewolf gains more STR/CON (+1. +2-3 with Average/Good DF) and a Bonus Feat (Player choice, choices vary from Weapon Feats (Unarmed and Creature) to Attributes (Great STR, DR, Saves) to Skills (Stealthy, Awareness) to Combat Feats (Knockdown, Called Shot.) Other choices discussable.) and gain Keen Senses (if possible) after their first full moon.

Sorry, I skipped how to move it from Magical to Natural. The DM command ##Modify___ allows a DM to give a raw point bonus permanently to a Character/Monster. I suggest doing this for right now, building scripts to take over later. (If deemed necessary. I'd prefer needing a DM to infect than having oodles of wolves running around.)

Speaking of, lets make one thing clear to any player that plans, or is tempted, to become a Special Subtype. Its a death warrant. There will be leway while in Beta, as the systems still need to be Tested, but taking an Infection Subtype marks your character for death. Werewolves and Vampires get hunted. If their cover is blown (NPCs gossip, keep that in mind) then they are as good as dead. Naturally they still have a chance to live, but it is as a monster. (Even if some players don't mind, NPCs do)

Raise the Howl DC, even Link it to Intimidate. If a monster like the savage werewolf is trying hard enough, he WILL scare you. I think as-is its at a saddening 15.

Raise Listen (+15 on PC Hide perhaps?) If our hearing is good enough to have a high Sonic Vulnerability, then its good enough to hear Whispering from across the room. Perhaps we could even add a way for Special Subtypes with Keen Senses (like Vampires and Werecats) to view whisper channel in the area their in similar to how DMs can.

I like the idea of a Lycanthrope goddess, i really do. I don't like being completely dependant on said Deity though, and would prefer if Lycanthropes got a Natural Bonus and a Divine Bonus for those with High favor. (Like Double Regen, being Stronger/Healthier ( extra +1-3 Magic Attribute Bonus) or being blessed with Greater Animal Insticts, turning you into the ultimate killing machine when Raging.) That'll provide a little seperation between players and NPCs as well, since Jonan and his pack serve the goddess, and most players who end up with Werewolf infection don't have much to do with that stuff unless they have to (and only when they do). So players can make thier own Packs if they want.
Ragdoll_Knight
Ragdoll_Knight
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Character sheet
Character Name: Tony
Race: Human
Overall Level: 32

Back to top Go down

Special Subtype Suggestions Empty Re: Special Subtype Suggestions

Post  LordSurge Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:39 pm

Wonder if lycanthropes make good casters. Wink

First of all: Infected shouldn't be as powerful as naturally born.

Most lycanthropes only gain their bonuses in animal/hybrid form, so magical bonuses seem to fit best as equipment doesn't work in hybrid form (or does it?). Having the ability buffs all the time is not how it is in D&D, and that is what the system is based in isn't it?

The Lycanthrope becomes more Beastlike and Instinctual over time. Each Winter Season the Werewolf gains more STR/CON (+1. +2-3 with Average/Good DF) and a Bonus Feat (Player choice, choices vary from Weapon Feats (Unarmed and Creature) to Attributes (Great STR, DR, Saves) to Skills (Stealthy, Awareness) to Combat Feats (Knockdown, Called Shot.) Other choices discussable.) and gain Keen Senses (if possible) after their first full moon.

Ever-increasing permanent stat boosts are extremely overpowered. Without any drawbacks, and a free feat too? Seems way over the top.
LordSurge
LordSurge
Forum Knight

Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2010-11-19

Character sheet
Character Name: Zeff Trom
Overall Level: 40

Back to top Go down

Post  Ragdoll_Knight Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:46 pm

LordSurge wrote:Wonder if lycanthropes make good casters. Wink

First of all: Infected shouldn't be as powerful as naturally born.

True, perhaps the standard regen and attribute bonuses should be lower for Infected PCs.
And yes. They do. Too. Bad Tony was before your time.

LordSurge wrote:Most lycanthropes only gain their bonuses in animal/hybrid form, so magical bonuses seem to fit best as equipment doesn't work in hybrid form (or does it?). Having the ability buffs all the time is not how it is in D&D, and that is what the system is based in isn't it?
Last I played no Equipment got unequiped when you Changed, though you are unable to equip Great weapons. I'm not sure if the werewolves here are D&D strict or if they are server-specific. Iwas pretty sure with the Deity focus it was Server Specific, but if I'm wrong then nevermind.

LordSurge wrote: Ever-increasing permanent stat boosts are extremely overpowered. Without any drawbacks, and a free feat too? Seems way over the top.
The werewolves are already over-the-top. They get all the Creature weapon feats, including Dev Crit. Which is very handy for a level 12 wizard Smile this way they have to choose one trait for each year. Making different werewolfs varied and having it scale, instead of receiving it all at once.
Ragdoll_Knight
Ragdoll_Knight
Forum Sage

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Ragdoll_Knight Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:49 pm

How about we keep the current Bonuses as high DF rewards, and add +8 STR +2 DEX +4 CON and +2 WIS for hybrid stat changes.
Ragdoll_Knight
Ragdoll_Knight
Forum Sage

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  LordSurge Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:30 pm

Current meaning what is currently in-effect in-game, or what you listed?

LordSurge
LordSurge
Forum Knight

Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2010-11-19

Character sheet
Character Name: Zeff Trom

Back to top Go down

Post  eve_of_disaster Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:56 am

Werewolves get dev-crit? x.x'

Bläurgh.
eve_of_disaster
eve_of_disaster
Forum Courtier

Female Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2010-03-30

Character sheet
Character Name:

Back to top Go down

Post  Ragdoll_Knight Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:30 pm

LordSurge wrote:Current meaning what is currently in-effect in-game, or what you listed?

The current magical stat bonus already gifted.
Ragdoll_Knight
Ragdoll_Knight
Forum Sage

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  eve_of_disaster Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:23 am

Personally I always thought that giving them the magical bonus is quite useless. On Dohral I do think you ought to be able to find the items that would give the +12 on your favourite stat quite easily. So your subrace most likely won't give any bonus to stats that is really useful while it does still prevent you from levelling to 40. So in my oppinion the -4 levels to your max level easily equals at least the stats you would gain permanently. But it wouldn't equal the stats and dev crit, lol. Silliest thing I ever heard... <.<' I'd rather see them with bonus damage - positive or something to make them more dangerous vs vampires anf others too.
eve_of_disaster
eve_of_disaster
Forum Courtier

Registration date : 2010-03-30

Character sheet
Character Name:

Back to top Go down

Post  Ragdoll_Knight Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:48 pm

Thats part of why i'd like to see it changed from Magical bonus to Natural. Between the shops and some risky treasure hunting I could easily have +12 to STR (the werewolf's main Attribute) making the subtype bonuses nothing special. When Tony gained his I became rich from selling his +STR items because they became worthless.
Ragdoll_Knight
Ragdoll_Knight
Forum Sage

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Eriniel Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:51 am

I have actually been working on the ability to have the subraces change the actual ability rather than adding a magical bonus property to the hide but its not quite finished yet.

For now the system remains actively applying magic properties until this is working to replace it.

But use of ##SetSTR, ##dm_modifySTR, etc will not be recognized thus the bonuses would end up doubled when the system switches over. This would be a BAD thing.
Eriniel
Eriniel
Lead Scripter

Registration date : 2008-10-17

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Overall Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  Ragdoll_Knight Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:18 am

I don't know, I certainly wouldn't mind double werewolf bonuses.
Ragdoll_Knight
Ragdoll_Knight
Forum Sage

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  heather Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:36 am

Despite all the fun and great goodies Ragdoll says you get and even making it sound nice there are a lot of draw backs, most are actually RP based but the scripted ones are bad too... One of the worse is silver, another bad one is that you are a monster and people are going to be hunting you; like Bane XD and there's plenty of forced changes to make life complicated ^^; also there's a wardrobe problem that plenty of people overlook >.> , there are certain other yearly problems with being partially animal... and it's not really good if you're trying to keep your figure >.>;;;

Also one thing that he left out about those bonuses you get, they take a LONG time, possibly almost 2 years IRL time of being a lycanthrope to get these "achievements" one of my characters has been around for a while and she still doesn't have the devastating critical ^^;

heather
Forum Knight

Female Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2010-02-11

Character sheet
Character Name: Melinda Davis
Overall Level: 9

Back to top Go down

Post  Ragdoll_Knight Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:00 pm

Do they really? I didn't think Tony had been around that long. But I also forgot to mention that Tony was on the tail end of a version with some superior firepower. So the current wereolves may not have all the things I'm. Basing my notes off of.

Perhaps the yearly traits should only be available for those who embrace their lycanthropy, rather than denying it and never using it.

When shifting, damage is delt (AC from Items Total)d4 (Why so high? The werewolf will quickly regen it, but it will take a nice chunk in the mean time and weaken the werewolf enough to be a serious consequence) from equiped gear, the gear falls to the ground broken (but repairable)
Ragdoll_Knight
Ragdoll_Knight
Forum Sage

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content