Meditation....

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Meditation....

Post  N8 on Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:25 pm

meditation is a form of rest not quite as effective as sleep but restful none the less... would it be possible to add meditate to the rest menu so that when the HTF drops to critical lvls and your not yet able to rest you can meditate? this would also double for casters as a way to recharge their spells since they can only cast their spells until depleted once every 48 minutes... that's a very long time when your solo or in a small group...???

N8
Posting Knave

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Meditation....

Post  eve_of_disaster on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:19 am

That would be a great implementation, imo.
eve_of_disaster
Forum Courtier

Female Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2010-03-30

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race: Human
Overall Level: 40

Back to top Go down

Post  GM_ODA on Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:02 am

We currently allow Meditation for the monk class only - it would be an easy matter to extend it to other classes, though I think I would like it to come with a cost - e.g. meditation is something monks are taught/trained in by default, where other classes may gain it by dedicating some feat to it or similar IG cost. Further, I'd like the monk version to be maybe a little better than the other classes' in some way. I'll ponder it more and will be watching this thread for more feedback and ideas on meditation.

As a side note, crikey I keep typing 'medication' instead of 'meditation' - it must be time for my pill or something. lol

Be well. Game on.
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Male Number of posts : 2648
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Firkin Alechugger
Race: Dwarf
Overall Level: 11

http://playnwn.hopto.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  eve_of_disaster on Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:28 am

You know what... I never used meditation with Te'lyn and she is 5 percent monk...
eve_of_disaster
Forum Courtier

Character sheet
Character Name:

Back to top Go down

Post  Ragdoll_Knight on Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:56 pm

I didn't know Meditation was supposed to be Monk specific, all my characters have been able to use it. (Handy for that CON bonus regen Very Happy)
I know Druids need it, to obtain their Scry via Pools ability.
Perhaps if it was tied to your WIS score, needing 12 (+1) to even use it, and gain the Regen and the Spell/Fatigue restoration, 14 (+2) or greater for all those added Bonuses that are Class Dependant.
Ragdoll_Knight
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 873
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Character sheet
Character Name: Tony
Overall Level: 32

Back to top Go down

Post  eve_of_disaster on Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:13 pm

And 20+ wisdom could give bonus to hunger and thirst. ^^
eve_of_disaster
Forum Courtier

Character sheet
Character Name:

Back to top Go down

Elves and meditation

Post  Ronja on Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:40 pm

I believe elves use medetation in stead of sleep. I just thought I should mention this if you are implementing meditation into the game.
Ronja
Posting Knave

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2009-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post  N8 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:39 pm

well... perhaps not the same meditation as the monks but just some lesser form of rest that you can perform more often... i've had charactors die from not being able to sleep because it hasn't been long enough but at the same time their fatigue lvl was critical...

N8
Posting Knave

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Ragdoll_Knight on Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:38 pm

I suggested Low Fatigue removing the Rest Timer to Erin a while back ago when my Druid exausted himself Flying to the mentor. I believe it's on the list of Fixes, but might not be a priority.
Here's for hopin though. Very Happy
Ragdoll_Knight
Forum Sage

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  eve_of_disaster on Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:44 pm

There is a very easy self-help method... Log out.

Yes. The rest counter continues to count down when you are logged off but fatique stays the same. So when faced by such a thing you can just relog with a new char. Also you can likely turn afk-mode on for the same effect. Boring fixes if you are in rp for example. I know. It would be nice if sitting down would slow the decline of the fatigue bar to some extent.

For this discussion I think its interesting to point out that there's no real limit to how much you can stuff yourself with to try and fill the hunger and thirst bars. But for some reason there's a limit on how much you can sleep. Personally I think the limit for realistic reasons should be on the two other bars. In fact I think that how you fill these bars should depend on your overall stats! A physically strong person should need to eat more than a physically weak person. A wizard in the midst of research would likely be able to get by on a single piece of bread wrapped around some cheese, while a warrior clad in armor who just defeated the lizardmen might need to eat half a deer, not to mention sleep for a day...

The fact that no matter what char you play, when your hunger or thirst bar reaches about half you will need to drink one and a half canteens (likely 3-4 litres of water) and eat 1.5 rolls of cheese, makes regaining htf not only a chore, but also very unrealistic. I would love to see the possibility to refill it through a couple of bites, perhaps gaining 50% back from certain types of meat and 25 percent from cheese and bread combined. You could invent something like bakery to give characters the ability to make bread that is of higher quality and gives more lasting effects and such. Like the ability to create the adventurers stew or something, a meal in 5 charges which gives back 30 percent hunger and 15 percent thirst. Adventurers ale could in turn give back 30 percent thirst and 15 percent hunger. Afaik the bakeries just contain the same free stuff you can already find in Tivook inn. So why not give them the role of distributor of truly excellent products? Smile

Hope this gets considered because I think its a very valid point towards the whole htf system. Thanks in advance.
eve_of_disaster
Forum Courtier

Character sheet
Character Name:

Back to top Go down

Post  Ragdoll_Knight on Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:58 pm

If you ate regularly, instead of waiting till it effects you, you could survive on two biscuits and two cubes of cheese and two drinks water, one piece of cheese and two pieces of bread and three drinks of water, and two pieces of meat later.

So, the more into RP you go, the less you have to eat at one time.

You could invent something like bakery to give characters the ability to make bread that is of higher quality and gives more lasting effects and such. Like the ability to create the adventurers stew or something, a meal in 5 charges which gives back 30 percent hunger and 15 percent thirst. Adventurers ale could in turn give back 30 percent thirst and 15 percent hunger.

Perhaps the ability to combine different foods into Meals, and let players buy Tools that can improve their chances of making them successfully. Like Meat+Potatoes+Water (Optional Vegetables could increase quality, like Onion or Carrots) And the more of each thing the higher your Quantity. So an entire hunk of meat might feed 2-3 people, with one potato each, and an entire canteen of water.

You could buy Pots and Pans (even the Spits) in a Camping supply store (tents and bedrolls and such, since they could be ruined if a encounter ambushes you while everyone's asleep) and then Use them on the Fire, which would set it up in cooking mode, where you just add your ingredients. Meat, when placed in the pan would progress like *cooking* then *smells good* after a 30 seconds to a minute, depending on WIS or Spot roll (you could also check to see if its cooked) and then *smells burned* if left in too long (say 2-4 minutes)
Stews would naturally take longer, but if you put cooked meat in first it would decrease the time it takes, you Use your Pot on the Fire, and it sets up using the appropriate model (same for pans, if possible) and then putting water in. You could wait till it starts *boiling* ( Spot if close enough WIS if not) and then add your ingredients, or add them in ahead of time. If the meat has been cooked, then after about 4 Minutes it would *looks good* and players could use their Bowls (also buy-able) to grab some.

Last edited by Ragdoll_Knight on Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ragdoll_Knight
Forum Sage

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  eve_of_disaster on Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:07 pm

My elf with 6 con isn't going to need more than 2 sandwiches that entire day... Maybe 4 if she ran around alot prior to her meals.
eve_of_disaster
Forum Courtier

Character sheet
Character Name:

Back to top Go down

Post  Ragdoll_Knight on Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:14 pm

eve_of_disaster wrote:My elf with 6 con isn't going to need more than 2 sandwiches that entire day... Maybe 4 if she ran around alot prior to her meals.

So maybe HTF rate should be slower for certain races Smile
Ragdoll_Knight
Forum Sage

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content