Neverwinter Nights Multiplayer Server 24x7 Now with NWN and NWN:EE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Language Learning Restrictions

+3
DM Drachen
BobbyBrown15
Shar
7 posters

Go down

Language Learning Restrictions Empty Language Learning Restrictions

Post  Shar Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:49 am

It seems far too easy to simply get the book and learn a language in 15 seconds.... as well as somewhat odd that people can do that.

I would like to suggest a restriction on how many can be learned (like in P&P) as well as a time limit so you don't get it until X number of RL weeks have passed.
Shar
Shar
Forum Vizier

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2012-01-15

Character sheet
Character Name: Ne'Sekoleth
Race:
Overall Level: 20

Back to top Go down

Language Learning Restrictions Empty Re: Language Learning Restrictions

Post  BobbyBrown15 Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:14 am

Shar do not forget that the books are extremely rare IG, the only ones i managed to actually find were lent to me by other Characters through IG means.
BobbyBrown15
BobbyBrown15
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 521
Location : Roseville, MN, USA (not online tuesdays, fridays or saturdays)
Registration date : 2012-09-28

Character sheet
Character Name: Vashan Wilkina
Race: Human
Overall Level: 28 Total (19 Sorc/9 RDD)

Back to top Go down

Post  Shar Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:46 am

BobbyBrown15 wrote:Shar do not forget that the books are extremely rare IG, the only ones i managed to actually find were lent to me by other Characters through IG means.

I am still sticking by this...

one or two players have a number of these books and its currently possible for a 9 int pc to learn every language. i am not saying remove it, just make it more cannon and add a timeline for learning.
Shar
Shar
Forum Vizier

Character sheet
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post  DM Drachen Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:16 pm

Agreed. I'd suggest they can only learn their INT modifier number of languages. (12 = 1 Language, 14 = 2, etc.)
DM Drachen
DM Drachen
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 683
Registration date : 2011-01-07

Character sheet
Character Name:
Overall Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  Valerion Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:27 pm

Actually there IS a maximum, so far I have counted a Maximum of 10, for my Mage Valerion who had a int modifier of 12 as far as I can remember.
Valerion
Valerion
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 917
Registration date : 2011-12-24

Character sheet
Character Name: Valerion
Overall Level: 40

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:30 pm

DM_Dragon wrote:Agreed. I'd suggest they can only learn their INT modifier number of languages. (12 = 1 Language, 14 = 2, etc.)

What about race languages? Especially if a half-breed? There are no language widgets you can get on character creation so the books are necessary. Both my characters learned their languages over a period of time and through rp and not just skim the book. Plus the books have restrictions built in you can not learn a certain language without knowing another.

Still in real life people read and learn languages outside the ones they know and you do not have to have a super high intel to do this.
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Number of posts : 2213
Registration date : 2010-07-11

Character sheet
Character Name: Charia/Arys
Race: Half-Elf
Overall Level: 30/30

Back to top Go down

Post  Shar Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:37 pm

standard D&D gives you racial languages free..

Thats what i am advocating, a more P&P system with a time limit.
Shar
Shar
Forum Vizier

Character sheet
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyBrown15 Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:12 pm

Well Shar's idea is reasonable enough to me, especially since the books are rare enough as it is, your not likely to find 2 within a week.
BobbyBrown15
BobbyBrown15
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 521
Location : Roseville, MN, USA (not online tuesdays, fridays or saturdays)
Registration date : 2012-09-28

Character sheet
Character Name: Vashan Wilkina
Overall Level: 28 Total (19 Sorc/9 RDD)

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:28 pm

Shar wrote:It seems far too easy to simply get the book and learn a language in 15 seconds.... as well as somewhat odd that people can do that.

I would like to suggest a restriction on how many can be learned (like in P&P) as well as a time limit so you don't get it until X number of RL weeks have passed.

I agree that a time limit of some sort but not in rl weeks. May a few rl days. Remember people's time is limited and if they found a book, maybe learning that language might be crucial to their rp. This could work if a limit is set based on natural intelligence.

One the other hand since the books so rare anyway, the time it took you to find the book or another character could be rped that you studied. It also penalizes builds which may require other skills like charisma, wisdom,etc over intell.

Some ways to handle this.

If you go with the intell limit then maybe as if they went to school have an xp penalty and maybe pay a fee and have a limit per level grouping maybe starting at level 10. Naturally xp loss and fees would go higher.
Level 10 to 20 1 additional language and fee, xp peanlty level 20-30 2 additional languages and fee xp peanlty, level 30-40 3 additonal languages, fee,xp penalty.

Rp the reason why. In character the player would have to write an rp reason why they would want to learn or have the knowledge of a particular language outside common and their races. Or if not public then an rp sent to oda or eri or to dms for approval.

Last edited by Animayhem on Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Number of posts : 2213
Registration date : 2010-07-11

Character sheet
Character Name: Charia/Arys
Race: Half-Elf
Overall Level: 30/30

Back to top Go down

Post  DM Drachen Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:57 pm

Of curse, racial languages is a must! I simply think it is too quick, right now. It seems every other character and their pet squirrel speaks a lot of languages. Which, in itself isn't bad, but the languages being learned so quickly is. I still stick with my idea of the INT modifier. If anyone can learn any amount, well then that wouldn't make sense! (Not saying anyone can learn all of them, I'm just saying that.)

I also think that the speed of which learning shoulder be determined on your INT. Perhaps something like..
1 = 10 RL Hours of hearing the language
2 = 9 RL Hours
3 = 8 RL Hours
4 = 7 RL Hours
5 = 6 RL Hours
6 = 5 RL Hours
7 = 4 RL Hours, and it stays there no matter your INT modifier.

Even a super intelligent wizard archmage necromancer who is specialized in every school of magic half dragon vampire with an ultimate staff of hellball bringing needs time to learn a language. Now people say the language books are rare. Why don't we make the more common language books easier to acquire, then? Elven, Dwarvern, Goblin, easier to find. Then the elemental, infernal, pikachu, celestial, dragon, all of those rare, or still rare if they're rare like everyone says they are.

DM Drachen
DM Drachen
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 683
Registration date : 2011-01-07

Character sheet
Character Name:
Overall Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  Badgers_Revolt Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:35 pm

In all honesty Intelligence and Lore should determine whether you can learn a language to begin with. I don't see a low Intelligence Low Lore Dim Witted Ogre learning Celestial anytime soon. Perhaps, around 10 Lore and 12 Int, you can start learning a language. Basic Stats for a Scribe just starting out. Not that only scribes should be learning languages. Though, one must remember the Rich are more inclined to be able to read then the poor. Scribes tend to lean on the Rich side. So yes, perhaps only scribes should be able to learn languages.

Also, I think I shall make Gem a Pikachu language book now. *Nod, Nod*
Badgers_Revolt
Badgers_Revolt
Posting Knave

Male Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Character sheet
Character Name: Elurin Ma'fent
Race: Elf
Overall Level: 9

Back to top Go down

Post  GM_ODA Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:03 pm

I would like to ask the DMs involved in this thread to get together online after reading the DM DOC Appendix G - and test the system in place now to determine if in fact you have a bug here.

Be well. Game on.
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Male Number of posts : 3070
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Firkin Alechugger
Race: Dwarf
Overall Level: 11

https://web.archive.org/web/20151106073532/http://playnwn.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Shar Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:07 pm

Badgers_Revolt wrote:In all honesty Intelligence and Lore should determine whether you can learn a language to begin with. I don't see a low Intelligence Low Lore Dim Witted Ogre learning Celestial anytime soon. Perhaps, around 10 Lore and 12 Int, you can start learning a language. Basic Stats for a Scribe just starting out. Not that only scribes should be learning languages. Though, one must remember the Rich are more inclined to be able to read then the poor. Scribes tend to lean on the Rich side. So yes, perhaps only scribes should be able to learn languages.

Also, I think I shall make Gem a Pikachu language book now. *Nod, Nod*

Really? A Poke'mon language book? you know it only will have one word inside Razz .
Shar
Shar
Forum Vizier

Character sheet
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM_ODA Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:55 am

The DMs involved in this conversation got silent because they had not read the section of the Argentum Regio DM DOCS regarding LANGUAGES and were collectively doing what is termed "talking out their asses".

PLEASE disregard all the misinformation in this thread up to this point.

LANGUAGES in this server are based on D&D rules for languages, which means your PC is limited in total number of languages by INT. More, the higher the INT the shorter the time it takes to learn a language (fewer study sessions to gain competency).
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Male Number of posts : 3070
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Firkin Alechugger
Race: Dwarf
Overall Level: 11

https://web.archive.org/web/20151106073532/http://playnwn.com/

Back to top Go down