Neverwinter Nights Multiplayer Server 24x7 Now with NWN and NWN:EE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to Reward Role Play?

+3
Eriniel
Animayhem
GM_ODA
7 posters

Go down

How to Reward Role Play? Empty How to Reward Role Play?

Post  GM_ODA Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:54 pm

Over the years it has been suggested several times by several people that PLAYERS should be able to award some EXPERIENCE POINTS to other PLAYERS' PCs... this as a 'in the trenches' grade on the receiving PLAYERS Role Play of the PC.

As it stands, we already have a system that tracks your own Role Play (system observes your behavior, assigning a value for all you do storing that total at intervals on an ongoing basis until you log out ... upon your PCs return the prior sessions earned RP XP are awarded).

I am thinking I will add another function to the Wand of Misc or the Long Range Runestone where a PLAYER can target another PC to indicate their desire to award some XP to the targeted PC. The amount awarded would be based on the givers' earned RP XP up to that point (some fraction of it, perhaps 10%). This gift of XP could be done only once per game session (login). In effect, before logging out, a PLAYER could 'thank' the PLAYER of another PC by gifting some additional RP XP; this is a form of salute to your fellow role players. The way this is setup, the award is somewhat better when gifted by a PLAYER who is a good role player themselves.

My questions to the Peanut Gallery are these:

What feedback do you have for me on this proposed system? and

What other methods might you suggest to help improve / reward good Role Play?

Thanks in advance. Please, be courteous, share your thoughts.

Be well. Game on.
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Male Number of posts : 3070
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Firkin Alechugger
Race: Dwarf
Overall Level: 11

https://web.archive.org/web/20151106073532/http://playnwn.com/

Back to top Go down

How to Reward Role Play? Empty Re: How to Reward Role Play?

Post  Animayhem Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:27 am

Another world I play on has such an option. You must actually be in game after log in for a certain amount of time before you can reward and recieve reward.  You are also limited on how many people at one time you can give. The amount you recieve and give is based upon your level with I think level 10 and above a cap of 100 xp being the max. It is not limited to one time per session though their is a time factor before you can award additional xp to the ones you are with or someone else.  If you log out and the log in with a different character you will have to go through the same time penalty etc.

Though not functioning, guild books have the opiton to award xp to members by which the xp would be deducted from the account. In reference to gifting, all players will have a set limit in their account , lets say 1000 xp. So at 10% that would be 100xp and would be deducted from the account.  The account would only be refilled if the player is awarded and if there balance goes above 1000 still have a cap of 100xp.

On the world I play people are satisfied with the max. In my opinion any thing more should be awarded by a dm. The one drawback to this system is you may think you rped your character well and thought the other(s)
did and awarded them yet you did not recieve any which some may take harder than others I have seen and heard this during dm events when either players felt xp was low or the dm forgot.

That being said, with this world's system, maybe make the guild xp work and it has a tiered system of rewarding xp of different amounts. Could the tracking mouse some how be modified to reward player on the spot rather then when they next log in?
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Number of posts : 2213
Registration date : 2010-07-11

Character sheet
Character Name: Charia/Arys
Race: Half-Elf
Overall Level: 30/30

Back to top Go down

Post  Eriniel Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:03 am

Player Guild System doesn’t issue XP? Nuts will have to see that in action to see what's fluffed there.
Eriniel
Eriniel
Lead Scripter

Female Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Overall Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyBrown15 Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:35 am

I am not actually sure how the RP XP system works, such as what actions give XP or not, and if OOC chatter with things such as // dock or are not counted as part of the XP reward system, as one usually doesn;t get much from each session unless they have been RPing most of the day, but it builds up.
BobbyBrown15
BobbyBrown15
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 521
Location : Roseville, MN, USA (not online tuesdays, fridays or saturdays)
Registration date : 2012-09-28

Character sheet
Character Name: Vashan Wilkina
Race: Human
Overall Level: 28 Total (19 Sorc/9 RDD)

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:49 pm

Guild system rp works. Any work on player rewarding player?
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Elgate Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:11 pm

On one server I played on, DM's would give 'RP' cookies instead of xp at the end of events, or just for good RP they saw. These cookies could be exchanged for a set amount of xp or gold, or saved up for other bonuses (Eg, you had to have 10 'Major' cookies to get 'special' PCs such as unusual races, or to get certain things like powerful items or objects for player housing, or other special requests).

Problem with rewarding xp for RP is that PC's who have already reached their maximum level can't benefit from it. The choice of getting gold instead (Which we also need to work on making more valuable), or some other kind of benefit is better incentive.
Elgate
Elgate
Forum Sage

Female Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2011-01-31

Character sheet
Character Name: Grace Fennerset
Overall Level: 30

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:43 am

On a server I play on there is a time limit as to when you can begin to give rp and how much. Even if you had good rp but were not in game long enough you could not give. If you had used up your limit, you would have to wait.

No dm's are involved in this it is player rewarding player. With respect to DM's they can give awards for their events.

I feel as a player I can judge whether or not I am having a good rp experience.
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  DM Althaless Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:29 am

Elgate wrote:On one server I played on, DM's would give 'RP' cookies instead of xp at the end of events, or just for good RP they saw. These cookies could be exchanged for a set amount of xp or gold, or saved up for other bonuses (Eg, you had to have 10 'Major' cookies to get 'special' PCs such as unusual races, or to get certain things like powerful items or objects for player housing, or other special requests).

Problem with rewarding xp for RP is that PC's who have already reached their maximum level can't benefit from it. The choice of getting gold instead (Which we also need to work on making more valuable), or some other kind of benefit is better incentive.

I like the idea behind this but not the fact that it is called a 'cookie' lol. A RP Token sounds better but this is just being pedantic. The idea that you could collect these tokens but only as a reward from the DM may be an extra incentive. Then as you have stated Elgate you could either save them, Exchange them for XP (through a widget or rune stone option), Or save them for say a 'hard to locate' merchant who may give you bonus enchants or items..a unique store.

Animayhem wrote:On a server I play on there is a time limit as to when you can begin to give rp and how much. Even if you had good rp but were not in game long enough you could not give. If you had used up your limit, you would have to wait.

No dm's are involved in this it is player rewarding player. With respect to DM's they can give awards for their events.

Im often lurking in the shadows awarding players for their RP no matter how little or large they RP. All the staff here thoroughly support the use of RP even when soloing or in a party. As far as the idea of players rewarding players i have to say im rather against it. Seems like it is just another way to get quick free XP and even with scripting to limit the amount of time between your 'rewards' it could still be exploited. Dont forget you are already rewarded by the server directly on logging out for any RP you have been doing. That mixed in with the XP for exploring, DM events, Hunting etc is all going to add up.
Its not a bad idea these are just my thoughts on it mate, Im sure others will be all for it. Im leaning more towards the 'Tokens as rewards' options then players have the choice for XP or whatever else may be available.
DM Althaless
DM Althaless
Supporter
Supporter

Male Number of posts : 164
Registration date : 2012-06-14

Character sheet
Character Name: Merente Greyfury
Overall Level: 23

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:15 pm

Perrin wrote:
Elgate wrote:On one server I played on, DM's would give 'RP' cookies instead of xp at the end of events, or just for good RP they saw. These cookies could be exchanged for a set amount of xp or gold, or saved up for other bonuses (Eg, you had to have 10 'Major' cookies to get 'special' PCs such as unusual races, or to get certain things like powerful items or objects for player housing, or other special requests).

I like the idea behind this but not the fact that it is called a 'cookie' lol. A RP Token sounds better but this is just being pedantic. The idea that you could collect these tokens but only as a reward from the DM may be an extra incentive. Then as you have stated Elgate you could either save them, Exchange them for XP (through a widget or rune stone option), Or save them for say a 'hard to locate' merchant who may give you bonus enchants or items..a unique store.

This would work maybe limiting the unique item store for those who have reached their max and  have them exchanged for xp by lower levels who wish to gain levels.

Animayhem wrote:On a server I play on there is a time limit as to when you can begin to give rp and how much. Even if you had good rp but were not in game long enough you could not give. If you had used up your limit, you would have to wait.

Perrin wrote:
Im often lurking in the shadows awarding players for their RP no matter how little or large they RP. All the staff here thoroughly support the use of RP even when soloing or in a party. As far as the idea of players rewarding players i have to say im rather against it. Seems like it is just another way to get quick free XP and even with scripting to limit the amount of time between your 'rewards' it could still be exploited. Dont forget you are already rewarded by the server directly on logging out for any RP you have been doing. That mixed in with the XP for exploring, DM events, Hunting etc is all going to add up.
Its not a bad idea these are just my thoughts on it mate, Im sure others will be all for it. Im leaning more towards the 'Tokens as rewards' options then players have the choice for XP or whatever else may be available.

Just because you can award players xp does not mean you do or get it. If some players decide to give it out then fine as there would be a how many per time frame plus the award give is in tier levels depending on the level with 100xp being the max once you reach level 10

Playing devil's advocate in regards to Dm awards exploitation could be done on this as well.  Dms only awarding their favorites.

Yes you get xp for rping built in, for traveling to new areas. However before anything can be added like what was mentioned. The xp system for encounters needs to be balanced.  I believe once you hit level 20 or 21 you are lucky to get 1 xp point per encounter even if the encounters are super hard and you mange to defeat them.

Racial xp exploits need to be checked( if this is already been done apologies)

Maybe for level 20+ xp gains for crafting or enhancing higher level items.
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:58 pm

Clarification. You can only xp a player once within a set time frame. So lets say the maximum times you can xp players is five.
You would only be able to award once.
The reward tiers are as follows:

Level one 10xp
Level 2 20xp
level 3 30xp
level 4 40 xp
level 5 50xp
level 6 60xp
level 7 70xp
level 8 80xp
level 9 90xp
level 10 and above 100xp
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  BenevolentDevil Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:06 pm

well, it's a nice option ...
But, I will play devils advocate #2 here - as I see a flaw in the "rp - from player reward system" , ... the flaw being, it could be "abused" , say a tight nit group that always play together, keep rewarding each other ... but no rewards going outside said group. ( even if encountering a decent RP-er , that wandered into the time frame/area. Buddies, reward the buddies, and anyone else can get what-ever the DMs decide, right? )

I mean, I don't think anyone would do that here really, but it's always a possibility regarding any player.

By default even, if I am Logged in late , and only one other person is on playing, we run into each other and RP ... we are going to pass an award off to each other most likely. But we are the only two peoples, in that time frame that play it seems ... so no one else gets an award from us?

Same with any other group ... who is on, what they are doing, and who the are around/with ... would trump the system, by default ... because who else are they going to share it with?

BenevolentDevil
BenevolentDevil
Forum Courtier

Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2014-12-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Bavmorda

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:32 am

BenevolentDevil wrote:well, it's a nice option ...
But, I will play devils advocate #2 here - as I see a flaw in the "rp - from player reward system" , ... the flaw being, it could be "abused" , say a tight nit group that always play together, keep rewarding each other ... but no rewards going outside said group. ( even if encountering a decent RP-er , that wandered into the time frame/area.  Buddies, reward the buddies, and anyone else can get what-ever the DMs decide, right? )

I mean, I don't think anyone would do that here really, but it's always a possibility regarding any player.  

By default even, if I am Logged in late , and only one other person is on playing, we run into each other and RP ... we are going to pass an award off to each other most likely.  But we are the only two peoples, in that time frame that play it seems ... so no one else gets an award from us?

Same with any other group ... who is on, what they are doing, and who the are around/with ... would trump  the system, by default ... because who else are they going to share it with?  

It is limited in places I have seen it as into how often and how many can be given. Player A gives XP to player B, they can only do that once within a limited time. A timer could be set as to how many players one can in a given setting. You do not have to give, it is not mandated. If you do not feel the interaction was not worth a reward you do not have to give it. RP does not have to be long just quality. Sometimes the best rp I have had is running with people during dungeon crawls. As to some people maybe just rewarding because meh no big deal. If this did go into affect, remember just because you rewarded someone does not mean you may get rewarded.
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  BenevolentDevil Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:08 pm

Put that way, I can see that.
BenevolentDevil
BenevolentDevil
Forum Courtier

Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2014-12-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Bavmorda

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down