Neverwinter Nights Multiplayer Server 24x7 Now with NWN and NWN:EE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where player consent can go

5 posters

Go down

Where player consent can go Empty Where player consent can go

Post  BobbyBrown15 Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:09 pm

Allright, a player always has the right to not consent to an event a DM holds, however there is one problem that has come up recently. If a PC is breaking the laws IG they must accept the concequences, and for such trials DMs have to control it, now, i don;t think a player has the right to consent to this, at least not completely, as they are responsible for breaking the laws in the first place, and by breaking them I beleive it counts as consent in its own right. However how far the DMs go with it is also put into question, since I am not yet aware of a set in stone set of laws, which we badly need, if anyone finds it post it in here, and I would like to know everyone's opinion on this subject.
BobbyBrown15
BobbyBrown15
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 521
Location : Roseville, MN, USA (not online tuesdays, fridays or saturdays)
Registration date : 2012-09-28

Character sheet
Character Name: Vashan Wilkina
Race: Human
Overall Level: 28 Total (19 Sorc/9 RDD)

Back to top Go down

Where player consent can go Empty Re: Where player consent can go

Post  DM Drachen Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:49 pm

In character actions, in character consequences. If you're gonna do it In Character, be prepared to handle it In Character.
DM Drachen
DM Drachen
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 683
Registration date : 2011-01-07

Character sheet
Character Name:
Overall Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:57 pm

Consent as some leeway especially where punishment is concerned in my opinion. Maybe in real life player does not like dramatized torture. They maybe comfortable with saying they had been beaten without the actual act of whipping or punching

I nreference to Aria's trial, I feel the palyer was in their right to request a stay or even not to concider the child custody question but were ok with the civic trial.
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Number of posts : 2213
Registration date : 2010-07-11

Character sheet
Character Name: Charia/Arys
Race: Half-Elf
Overall Level: 30/30

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyBrown15 Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:23 pm

The child part is not in the dohral/tivook jurisdiction so its not in the trial, but the crimes would fit the punishment
BobbyBrown15
BobbyBrown15
Forum Sage

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:33 pm

It does not always matter what a dm wants.  The player created the character and has a say. Abs has agreed to the trial for the actions that Aria committed in the city but has a right to refuse any sort of custody trial.

Aria has recently just become a parent and the rp concept is still in the works. So I respectfully request you just stick with the civil trial and respect Abs to rp her as he sees fit as I am sure you would want people to respect how you play your characters.

I mention this in regards to the constent mentioned in this thread.
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyBrown15 Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:46 pm

Anima you fail to realize i was not trying to refer to ANY trial in particular until you brought it up, in fact the children is not something that will be coming up likely more than once, so its not even a valid point to make for this argument, don;t use it as part of the discussion, i was actually trying to avoid bringing that up as its a unique circumstance.
BobbyBrown15
BobbyBrown15
Forum Sage

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:49 pm

It was and is. I was in chat and saw how it upset the player and you were insistant. You wanted an example and I gave you one.
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyBrown15 Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:56 pm

You do realize however breaking the law IG does warrant consequences, up till now its been ignored because of some of the bugs, like breaking out of jail, repeatedly, however most of this can be caused by bugs and having no way to actually get out of the jail after your put in other than literally breaking out, that also needs to be fixed, but still, i deem the situation on aria's case as a one time thing, and such circumstances would be discussed beforehand between said player and the DMs handling it, but the bottom line, and what the thread is actually about, is that if you break the law IG, the DMs can put you on trial for it, and you cant refuse to come to the trial OOCly because you dont want to get punished for it, you can try to escape IC and make it worse however, thats a given for RP on evil characters.
BobbyBrown15
BobbyBrown15
Forum Sage

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:06 pm

I never said you should not abide by rules or punishments. It just if it involves some phyiscal pain like stocks or hanging by arms and such that you discuss how detailed the person wants it.
Also for imprisionment and playing time. A standard needs to be set incase someone is imprisoned but only has one character and does not want to make another. Speaking from experience on other worlds I would say maybe at least 2hrs rl time before they could play as well as fines.  I think until a standard is developed it should be a give and take and feedback given as to what seemed agreeable and not so some standard could be made.

Like so and so di this spent x amount a time in jail and paid x fine or volunteered for community service.
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyBrown15 Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:23 pm

That would of course be discussed, even IC, and i personally have a thing against mutilation and the like, and no DM would ever demand anything like cutting of a PCs hand, that should be a given.
BobbyBrown15
BobbyBrown15
Forum Sage

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:30 pm

Also I am making generalizations of past experiences and not addressing any particular dm. I am suggesting.
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Elgate Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:42 pm

Permanent mutilation, extreme torture, or any torture really, is an already agreed upon consent necessary RP.

But things to take into consideration are, the other things that you can take as punishment are Gold, Time and, controversially, XP.

Gold at the moment has no real value IG. It would be a IC thing to fine, and could still be taken, but it's not much of a punishment or deterrent.

Time is tricky, because it's a highly unenjoyable punishment that renders PC's unplayable for it's duration. If the player consents to this, then okay. But otherwise it should only be pushed for in dire circumstances that don't require death, but certainly won't allow for lesser punishments.

XP, however, is something valuable and leaves a char playable- although it's not really IC. It would act as a deterrent.

You could also have a strike out system. Lesser crimes equal say, 0.5, medium crimes, 1, servere crime 2, and so on. You strike out of three, you suffer either a hevay punishment, or are exiled, to be attacked on sight by any guard type thing.

As for consent- if in doubt always ask. For situations where it would not make sense to have anything else (For instance a guard witnessing a crime and going 'well, you're not consenting to arrest, so I guess I'll let you go') would be wrong of course. But anything that affects play ability or can stress/disturb someone should always require some form of consent.
Elgate
Elgate
Forum Sage

Female Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2011-01-31

Character sheet
Character Name: Grace Fennerset
Overall Level: 30

Back to top Go down

Post  Pyro Fang Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:47 pm

Elgate wrote:Permanent mutilation, extreme torture, or any torture really, is an already agreed upon consent necessary RP.

But things to take into consideration are, the other things that you can take as punishment are Gold, Time and, controversially, XP.

Gold at the moment has no real value IG. It would be a IC thing to fine, and could still be taken, but it's not much of a punishment or deterrent.

Time is tricky, because it's a highly unenjoyable punishment that renders PC's unplayable for it's duration. If the player consents to this, then okay. But otherwise it should only be pushed for in dire circumstances that don't require death, but certainly won't allow for lesser punishment
If I may make a suggestion why not have a choice for jail time or skipping jail time *oocly* and lose xp jail time would be handled by dms where when the pc's time is up they post that the time is up and they are let to or they choose xp and icly they do the time but oocly they skip it and pay xp to skip it
Pyro Fang
Pyro Fang
Forum Courtier

Male Number of posts : 270
Registration date : 2012-10-08

Character sheet
Character Name: Nailo
Race: Elf
Overall Level: 27

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:02 pm

I could see loss of xp and gold would work in lieu of being locked up in game and from playing. It would be noted on the city blotter they were charged for future reference.
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:15 pm

A strike system could work as well many valid points brought up by Elgate and Pyro.
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content