Neverwinter Nights Multiplayer Server 24x7 Now with NWN and NWN:EE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NWN rating and content

2 posters

Go down

NWN rating and content Empty NWN rating and content

Post  BobbyBrown15 Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:54 pm

Neverwinter Nights is a rated T to M game; this means the game and all content within it (Multiplayer servers included) cannot be below the games rating. Even if someone made a My Little Pony server, it’s still going to be rated T. So from what I have heard despite the content in the server supposedly being 7+, it can’t be legally. Legally no one below Teen can play this game since we do allow explicit content in tells, and have talked about character pregnancy on the forums. This does affect the overall server rating regardless.
BobbyBrown15
BobbyBrown15
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 521
Location : Roseville, MN, USA (not online tuesdays, fridays or saturdays)
Registration date : 2012-09-28

Character sheet
Character Name: Vashan Wilkina
Race: Human
Overall Level: 28 Total (19 Sorc/9 RDD)

Back to top Go down

NWN rating and content Empty Re: NWN rating and content

Post  GM_ODA Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:12 pm

Friend BB,
I am guessing you are talking about this sort of rating:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If this is the case, to the best of my knowledge this is a self-regulating industry body - there are no laws regarding the labels and ratings they issue. Guidelines for ESRB member companies, but no laws.

You'll note you can download nwn from gog.com and not be asked to verify your age.

NWN has a Teen - Mature rating in that system, it is clearly stated under that label "Game experience may change during online play." This basically is a cover your butt statement on the rating group's part since they cannot rate what had not yet been released (online).

The way the game is made, we cannot (even if we wanted to) censor, edit or limit tells, they are part of NWN, so it is not really the case that 'we allow explicit tells', it is the case that tells are part of NWN and I have no control over content of what others type.

The server does not have an official ESRB rating. I often cite the content as being "PG-13" rated (reference to movie rating system in use in the USA). Is that the rating you were citing for the server perhaps?

I was a little confused by the post, but it being the first post in this thread I have no context on the matter and suspect there was some context in your mind when you wrote it.

Be well. Game on.
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Male Number of posts : 3070
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Firkin Alechugger
Race: Dwarf
Overall Level: 11

https://web.archive.org/web/20151106073532/http://playnwn.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyBrown15 Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:33 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Actually ODA, this link would be a lot more helpful and accurate, providing their actual guidlines and actual reach and why they are not a self regulated organization anymore, they are referred to by every company and industry that publishes a game or movie.

If you have evidence contrary to this can you cite your information?
BobbyBrown15
BobbyBrown15
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 521
Location : Roseville, MN, USA (not online tuesdays, fridays or saturdays)
Registration date : 2012-09-28

Character sheet
Character Name: Vashan Wilkina
Race: Human
Overall Level: 28 Total (19 Sorc/9 RDD)

Back to top Go down

Post  GM_ODA Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:41 pm

Friend BB,
You are confused. The ESRB is not a governmental body, nor agency. You really should read all of the page you link to before you link to it. It clearly states "ESRB’s regulatory oversight extends only to video game developers and publishers".

The ESRB is an industry association, and has no governmental power; it is not part of any government, just a self-regulating body of publishers who agree (upon joining as members) to uphold the rules of the association ESPECIALLY where it comes to using the associations trade dress.

I am not subject to any laws as regards the ESRB. The ESRB does not and cannot regulate my behavior in any way shape or form. There is no legal weight to anything the ESRB says that impacts my behavior.

If you can find any citation of an actual law passed by any congress based on the ESRB, please do offer a citation.

Be well. Game on.
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Male Number of posts : 3070
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Firkin Alechugger
Race: Dwarf
Overall Level: 11

https://web.archive.org/web/20151106073532/http://playnwn.com/