Neverwinter Nights Multiplayer Server 24x7 Now with NWN and NWN:EE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pick pocketing in ooc areas and stolen items.

+5
GM_ODA
Mizfat
Ragdoll_Knight
eve_of_disaster
Dranz
9 posters

Go down

Pick pocketing in ooc areas and stolen items. Empty Pick pocketing in ooc areas and stolen items.

Post  Dranz Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:06 am

Was getting molested by a midget who shall at this time remain unnamed(you know who you are~), and it occurred to me pick pocketing should probably be disabled in ooc areas. even if there's no malicious intent involved, it's likely good to take care if that now rather than later.

After awhile I realized killing someone who steals you stuff -in character- would get away with the items on death, so I'm thinking maybe stolen items should be dropped on death? Would make heists a bit more difficult too. Put some risk/reward into the equation. =D

Discuss.

Dranz
Posting Knave

Male Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2010-01-12

Character sheet
Character Name: Teb'fryn Do'lyl
Race:
Overall Level: 32

Back to top Go down

Pick pocketing in ooc areas and stolen items. Empty Re: Pick pocketing in ooc areas and stolen items.

Post  eve_of_disaster Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:23 pm

Good idea!
eve_of_disaster
eve_of_disaster
Forum Courtier

Female Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2010-03-30

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race: Human
Overall Level: 40

Back to top Go down

Pick pocketing in ooc areas and stolen items. Empty Re: Pick pocketing in ooc areas and stolen items.

Post  Ragdoll_Knight Sat May 01, 2010 4:21 pm

The "Dropping Stolen Items on Death" idea is grand, though if theres a DM on you could always *takes his/her stuff back*
Ragdoll_Knight
Ragdoll_Knight
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Character sheet
Character Name: Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  Dranz Sun May 02, 2010 4:20 am

Ragdoll_Knight wrote:The "Dropping Stolen Items on Death" idea is grand, though if theres a DM on you could always *takes his/her stuff back*

Yeah, I know. But this thought is for the times a DM may not be on. That's what I figured I'd do in character for now though. Of course, someone has to steal from me first. =P

Also if you think about it, it'd be like a minigame for thieves stealing things from dangerous places that aren't considered dungeons, if they die before they get out they lose their loot. =D I know we have a few places like that, so it'd add another challenge for would-be burglars.

Dranz
Posting Knave

Character sheet
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post  Mizfat Tue May 04, 2010 9:30 am

A fun anti-theft device I've seen implemented on other servers is an exploding dye kit. You just keep a few in your inventory and if one gets pp'd, it explodes and dye's the all the theif's gear bright pink!
Mizfat
Mizfat
Posting Knave

Male Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2009-08-23

Character sheet
Character Name: Truelove
Race: Halfling
Overall Level: 14

Back to top Go down

Post  Ragdoll_Knight Tue May 04, 2010 9:36 am

who here has spare inventory space? lol

but its a cool idea, keep them up. maybe just turning PP off in certain areas will be enough, but some of those anti theft devices would be nice IC too
Ragdoll_Knight
Ragdoll_Knight
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Character sheet
Character Name: Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  Dranz Tue May 04, 2010 10:03 am

Ragdoll_Knight wrote:who here has spare inventory space? lol

but its a cool idea, keep them up. maybe just turning PP off in certain areas will be enough, but some of those anti theft devices would be nice IC too

That's all well and good, but this isn't only about PP. This is about making people prepare for and plan their "heists". There's nothing to lose even if you die from what I've seen, unless something's changed. I mean you keep the items even if you die. If stolen items were dropped on death it would force people to be more careful, risk/reward I suppose you can say.

On a side note, I'd like a device that instantly blows people up when they try to pick pocket me if their disable trap skill or w/e is too low. Sure, you'd have to be mentally insane to -want- that, but it'd be funny. XD

Dranz
Posting Knave

Character sheet
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post  eve_of_disaster Tue May 04, 2010 10:06 am

I like the idea that stolen items drop on death.
eve_of_disaster
eve_of_disaster
Forum Courtier

Registration date : 2010-03-30

Character sheet
Character Name:
Overall Level: 40

Back to top Go down

Post  GM_ODA Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:58 pm

Here is a call out for more 'anti-pp' or pp related ideas!

SOUND OFF!

GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Male Number of posts : 3070
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Firkin Alechugger
Race: Dwarf
Overall Level: 11

https://web.archive.org/web/20151106073532/http://playnwn.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:15 pm

So far the only pick pocketing nuisance is in the Felderhaus inn. I rarely have had any pick pocketing done by any PC.
One time only during a DM event. The DM sided with myself and others and the item was returned.

Other world have implemented that if you take something from someone it is labeled stolen and cannot be resold except to very rare and hard to find merchants.

Yes pick pockets exist in the real world but balance must be maintained. People come here to relax. PP should be role played not "Hey I can do it because.

Not all players will be able to identify if they are being PP. If a PP finds this out they should not be allowed to continually PP the same character.

Are there built in dice rolls to determine the success of the pick pocketing?

Is there ability to size limit what can be pickpocket. A gem or ring could be easily be taken with out notice but a sword or some such would be felt.

I am not against having pick pockets but it is an easy skill to over use and abuse.

Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Number of posts : 2213
Registration date : 2010-07-11

Character sheet
Character Name: Charia/Arys
Race: Half-Elf
Overall Level: 30/30

Back to top Go down

Post  DM Althaless Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:01 pm

Animayhem wrote:So far the only pick pocketing nuisance is in the Felderhaus inn.  I rarely have had any pick pocketing done by any PC.
One time only during a DM event. The DM sided with myself and others and the item was returned.

Other world have implemented that if you take something from someone it is labeled stolen and cannot be resold except to very rare and hard to find merchants.

Yes pick pockets exist in the real world but balance must be maintained. People come here to relax. PP should be role played not "Hey I can do it because.

Not all players will be able to identify if they are being PP. If a PP finds this out they should not be allowed to continually PP the same character.

Are there built in dice rolls to determine the success of the pick pocketing?

Is there ability to size limit what can be pickpocket.  A gem or ring could be easily be taken with out notice but a sword or some such would be felt.

I am not against having pick pockets but it is an easy skill to over use and abuse.

One solution would be to treat Pickpocketing as a PvP action (which it basically is) And set a time frame on when you can then PP the same PC again. For example if you PP me and you are not caught then although i am unaware that could be considered a PvP action and as such enters a cooldown time where upon say you cannot PP me again for 15mins. And if you do get caught then that opens the floor to wherever the RP takes you.
DM Althaless
DM Althaless
Supporter
Supporter

Male Number of posts : 164
Registration date : 2012-06-14

Character sheet
Character Name: Merente Greyfury
Overall Level: 23

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:33 pm

Perrin wrote:
One solution would be to treat Pickpocketing as a PvP action (which it basically is) And set a time frame on when you can then PP the same PC again. For example if you PP me and you are not caught then although i am unaware that could be considered a PvP action and as such enters a cooldown time where upon say you cannot PP me again for 15mins. And if you do get caught then that opens the floor to wherever the RP takes you.

There should be even a longer limit like 24- 48 hrs RL time. In my opinion without strict rules PP could harass an easy mark continually.

DM rp items and some rarer in game finds are that rare. Sometimes people have spent a lot of time and effort maybe enhancing gear and weapons by which some elements are rare to find.

PP maybe PVP but also rp should factor in.
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Number of posts : 2213
Registration date : 2010-07-11

Character sheet
Character Name: Charia/Arys
Race: Half-Elf
Overall Level: 30/30

Back to top Go down

Post  Elgate Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:07 pm

Could I also request that Spellbooks are marked as non pickpocketable? A NPC thief stole my spellbook, and that was that, seeing as you can't get stolen items back from NPCs.
Elgate
Elgate
Forum Sage

Female Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2011-01-31

Character sheet
Character Name: Grace Fennerset
Overall Level: 30

Back to top Go down

Post  GM_ODA Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:47 pm

Friends,
PP is always a topic of debate. I can see both sides - nobody likes to be duped and plucked of choice items.

SPELLBOOKS need a whole topic of their own - ELGATE can I ask you to start a thread on SPELLBOOKS specifically please? Good point btw - tho if the 'retrieve item' were working ok, the SPELLBOOK would be OK to steal I guess.

NOTE there is one other PP oriented thread, I will likely merge these threads at some point in the future. I mention it because it has some essential links in it.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

While I will agree nobody likes to be duped and have their gear stolen, likewise nobody likes to be skewered on a sword or incinerated by a spell. Each PC has things they can do and we must remember that in adjusting the game mechanics we must be careful not to make various classes unplayable or reduce the fun of them to levels that make it not worthwhile. EACH class has some feature that can spoil the day of other classes be it spells skills or just cold steel applied with force. A master swordsman will end your life. A great wizard will cast spells that could turn you into a newt. A thief could make off with your loot.

Remember also that most of PP is hardcoded into the game and not subject to script modification, so we are limited a bit here too on this matter.

I like that rogues should be limited in the size of gear they could steal, IDK if we can do that but we'll consider it.
I like that stolen gear should be 'un identified' so the rogue does not get to know what they have purloined without some additional effort.

More PP feedback? Post it here... but be sure to see those vids linked on that other thread
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Male Number of posts : 3070

Character sheet
Character Name: Firkin Alechugger
Race: Dwarf
Overall Level: 11

https://web.archive.org/web/20151106073532/http://playnwn.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Eriniel Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:26 am

k changes for update:

PP'ed stuff is unidentified,

Large items should drop at the PC's feet if too large...

Lets see how it goes ... Very Happy
Eriniel
Eriniel
Lead Scripter

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Overall Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down