Neverwinter Nights Multiplayer Server 24x7 Now with NWN and NWN:EE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Consolidate books?

3 posters

Go down

Consolidate books? Empty Consolidate books?

Post  BenevolentDevil Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:19 am

We cart around a lot of "books" , while they usually do not weigh much, they do take up space ... especially when you utilize more than one "log book".
Oda told me to make the suggestion here for consideration.

I know there's "storage, via the bank and leased housing ... but some characters are ill suited to use such things as they are at least. I see no reason, to "bend your character" to use something, she wouldn't ever get in the first place ... Smile
BenevolentDevil
BenevolentDevil
Forum Courtier

Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2014-12-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Bavmorda
Race: Human
Overall Level: 11

Back to top Go down

Consolidate books? Empty Books and University

Post  Roger_Dodger Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:06 am

BenevolentDevil wrote:We cart around a lot of "books" , while they usually do not weigh much, they do take up space ... especially when you utilize more than one "log book".

I've found being given unwanted books more of an annoyance than a boon. Example: Every time I log on the server (going to the 'assembly' area), I'm given a new log book. So, the first stop in this area is always to the trash can to get rid of it. Part of the OnEnter script needs to 'search' the PC's inventory, and if he already has a Log Book, he is not given another. If you really need another Log Book, you can always pick one up in one of the adjacent room's goodie chests.

If you go to the University, just by entering a classroom, you are given the text for the course (Herbology, Woodworking, etc). I don't remember if there was even an instructor that asked if I wanted to join the course, but I did get the book(s), and I can't get rid of it/them ("you can't drop this item"). Suggestions: 1) Each classroom needs to have a sign outside that says what course is being taught (its been so long since I visited the University that I don't remember if there is signage). 2) Each classroom needs an Instructor that will ask if the PC wants to join the class. If the PC says 'Yes', THEN give him the textbook. If the PC already has a text (OnEnter 'search' or in the Instructor's Conversation Script), then the Instructor welcomes the PC back to the class, and the PC continues with his 'studies'. The PC could even be told by the Instructor to 'get the text from the bookshelf to continue study, and DON'T FORGET to put the book back when you leave.' Very Happy

I didn't hang around the University long enough to actually do any 'studying', but the ideas behind the University are laudable, and makes much more sense to 'earn' the skill points by study rather than just upping the various scores when the PC levels. The University seemed to be in the 'rough' or prototype stage when I visited, and needed to be 'fleshed out' and finished before being useful to the PC. At least that's my impression. I'll be sure to visit again soon to see if my 'first impression' was all wet.

Roger Dodger
Roger_Dodger
Roger_Dodger
Forum Knight

Male Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2015-05-09

Character sheet
Character Name: Grogan Klepsis

Back to top Go down

Consolidate books? Empty Re: Consolidate books?

Post  BenevolentDevil Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:08 pm

BTW, The University does work, for I guess as much as intended.

It is disheartening though, you must still spend craft points ( skill points) on level up to really make anything of most of those classroom learning experiences.
I know woodworking, and smithing take a special license to do ... and you can't earn that license until you complete the courses , AND spend 20 skill points to use one or the other craft menu craft. ( weapon or armor ) ... then, crafting anvils will let you make things. ( Maybe. ) You can have 10 points in armor, and 10 and weapon as far as I can understand ... or all 20 on one to get the license. I think that's really steep just to be able to craft things in my opinion... but at the same time, I bet some things could be crafted that are really good, and if you make it too easy ... everyone will do it.

I think enchanting takes spellcraft and lore into consideration. I hadn't tried using it myself though.

Alchemy/Herbology ... I think just about anyone can do with no points spending ... , but I have yet to find any recipes I didn't fail at or that work.
( any idea on how to make poisons? I'm clueless. )

but yes, the books take up some room ... and the classes take time to sit through.
BenevolentDevil
BenevolentDevil
Forum Courtier

Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2014-12-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Bavmorda

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:48 pm

Yes you can getting licensed is worth it yea its a drag but some of the things you can make nice.

But yea I agree in regards to the log books.
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Number of posts : 2213
Registration date : 2010-07-11

Character sheet
Character Name: Charia/Arys
Race: Half-Elf
Overall Level: 30/30

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down