Neverwinter Nights Multiplayer Server 24x7 Now with NWN and NWN:EE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DM Tool - track laying tool

5 posters

Go down

DM Tool - track laying tool Empty DM Tool - track laying tool

Post  GM_ODA Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:04 am

A tool to allow DMs to place track objects and interactively set data on that object - in this way a DM can create tracks / trail to lead PCs/PARTY in a particular path, or even foreshadow dangers of a region without having to spawn and move about with a 'monster on'. Very Happy

DMs is this worthwhile? Feedback?
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Male Number of posts : 3070
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Firkin Alechugger
Race: Dwarf
Overall Level: 11

https://web.archive.org/web/20151106073532/http://playnwn.com/

Back to top Go down

DM Tool - track laying tool Empty Re: DM Tool - track laying tool

Post  Nightcaper Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:43 am

I'm not a DM, but I definitely want to say that this would be a great idea for the easier leading of events! Twisted Evil

Nightcaper
Posting Knave

Male Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2015-04-08

Character sheet
Character Name: Curantis Wayward
Race: Human
Overall Level: 7

Back to top Go down

Post  Gawain_VIII Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:13 pm

I'd vote for this tool.
Gawain_VIII
Gawain_VIII
Posting Knave

Male Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2016-05-31

Character sheet
Character Name: Bel Inconnu
Overall Level: 4

Back to top Go down

Post  Roger_Dodger Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:22 pm

Me three! Laughing

When I'm out exploring (yeah, I do that a lot), I often run across 'Tracks'. Looking around, I get the feeling I've been here before. Examine Tracks: "Something has been through this area, but you can't tell what it is." [Paraphrasing]

Really!? I think I should be able to tell my own boot prints by 10th level [Rogue/Scout]. There really needs to be a 'Kicker' (Variable?) on this particular placeable, so the PC can at least tell its his own prints he spotted.

Maybe it (Placeable/Examine) could say something else instead, like: "The hole in the boot print looks familiar. Are you sure you aren't walking in circles?"

'Prints' that have been deliberately placed (by the builder) should have a reasonable success rate of being read as to what kind of critter made the print, and which direction it was traveling.
Roger_Dodger
Roger_Dodger
Forum Knight

Male Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2015-05-09

Character sheet
Character Name: Grogan Klepsis

Back to top Go down

Post  GM_ODA Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:08 am

Friend Roger Dodger,
I understand what you're saying but I want to be careful not to 'steal the thunder' from a class. I have had some players complain of such; one griped that there was an item that gave 'Hide In Plain Sight' saying that having such a thing ruined the novelty of the Shadowdancer class. There is a camp out there who feel if you want your PC to be able to track you should take a level as ranger or druid or barbarian. I want to be careful not to make all the classes generic, this is a game of classes, and levels, feats and skills. We need to preserve some of that for the sake of the mechanics. Also, remember, scouting is not the same as tracking.

I am going to have Eriniel make the tracking system friendlier - allowing non tracking class PCs to recognize general type of tracks (no specifics), that would include telling your PC that the tracks you are looking at are those of a [YOUR RACE HERE] and from there it will be up to the PLAYER to figure out whose tracks they might be. Fair enough?

GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightcaper Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:07 am

GM_ODA wrote:Friend Roger Dodger,
I understand what you're saying but I want to be careful not to 'steal the thunder' from a class. I have had some players complain of such; one griped that there was an item that gave 'Hide In Plain Sight' saying that having such a thing ruined the novelty of the Shadowdancer class. There is a camp out there who feel if you want your PC to be able to track you should take a level as ranger or druid or barbarian. I want to be careful not to make all the classes generic, this is a game of classes, and levels, feats and skills. We need to preserve some of that for the sake of the mechanics. Also, remember, scouting is not the same as tracking.

I am going to have Eriniel make the tracking system friendlier - allowing non tracking class PCs to recognize general type of tracks (no specifics), that would include telling your PC that the tracks you are looking at are those of a [YOUR RACE HERE] and from there it will be up to the PLAYER to figure out whose tracks they might be. Fair enough?

Thank you for being willing to compromise, Oda. I've also had issues with class and level systems (I was always one of those Runescape/Wurm Online kind of players) and I see where you're coming from. It isn't easy to strike a balance between preserving D&D and game mechanics, and abiding by common sense law, especially in a game full of the impossible and unimaginable. (and the epic) I cannot speak in Roger's place, as he is the one that made the suggestion, but it would be nice to see what race tracks are, so it's not so easy to get turned around. I appreciate the effort Eriniel and yourself put in to this server, and it's great to see you reply to topics and clarify things. We mere mortals cannot see inside the module, so all we have to go off is what we see, what we hear, and the interfaces presented to us, and we appreciate your patience with our suggestions. Very Happy

Nightcaper
Posting Knave

Male Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2015-04-08

Character sheet
Character Name: Curantis Wayward
Overall Level: 7

Back to top Go down

Post  GM_ODA Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:50 am

Feedback is GOLD.

Very Happy
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Roger_Dodger Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:09 pm

Also, remember, scouting is not the same as tracking.

No, indeed, but some of the same skills are used. Most of the time, I find tracks either in the grass (green areas outside), or in the dust of a dungeon/cave floor. Tracks in the grass would be difficult for anyone, even an expert tracker, to ID (just mashed grass, not very indicative). Tracks in the dust (or dirt in a cave) would be a little easier to see what kind of critter made the print. Tracks made across a farmer's plowed field would be the easiest to decipher (nice clean and soft dirt). The environment of the track is everything.

Things that would be describable in a 'reasonably' clear track would be 1) Size (small, med., large); 2) Humanoid (wearing boots or barefoot) or animal ('maybe' type, i.e. Cloven hoofed, Horse print, Canine, Feline or Bear). Again, the key is 'Reasonably Clear' tracks. Bent over grass isn't going to tell the PC much, other than the normal "Something has passed this way".

RL Story: I once went with a friend into the mountains of Montana looking for 'antlers', which 'can' be quite valuable. Wandering around the mountains, we came across 'tracks' and/or 'scat' (poop piles). The ground was bare, and the tracks were 'clear'. Still, I could only see in the tracks that they were made by a LARGE, cloven-hoofed animal. Same with the Scat (obviously a herbivore of some type). My friend, Ed, could see a lot more (more 'Tracking XP'). He could tell me that the prints were made by a Moose or an Elk (LARGE), and the Scat was dropped by one of the above. There are differences that the experienced can determine. I couldn't, and still can't (little Tracking XP).

Back to the Game:
An 'outdoorsie' class PC comes across "Tracks". 'Examine Tracks' reveals: "The tracks were made by a large Elk, traveling N-NW. The Scat is very green and still steaming, indicating the animal is quite close. Properly tanned Elk Hide would make a very nice Winter Coat, and the meat should last you at least a month - fresh and jerked".
A non-'outdoorsie' class comes across the same tracks. 'Examine Tracks' reveals: "A large, cloven-hoofed animal passed this way, traveling in a Northerly direction. The steaming pile of poo tells you the animal is fairly close by".

The 'Pile of Poo' could have just as easily have been Brown, Dry and Crumbly, indicating the animal passed by a long time ago.

No information is completely useless, but would take a little time to 'design' the placeable Track or Poo  Wink .

Roger Dodger
A Citizen of the Republic

Roger_Dodger
Roger_Dodger
Forum Knight

Male Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2015-05-09

Character sheet
Character Name: Grogan Klepsis

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:40 pm

Yes you spy unknown creature tracks and you need to find the creature to identify id not a ranger or druid. Rangers and druids should be able to identify if seen as rangers get bonuses on favored enemies.
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Number of posts : 2213
Registration date : 2010-07-11

Character sheet
Character Name: Charia/Arys
Race: Half-Elf
Overall Level: 30/30

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content