Neverwinter Nights Multiplayer Server 24x7 Now with NWN and NWN:EE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Henchmen enhancements

2 posters

Go down

Henchmen enhancements Empty Henchmen enhancements

Post  Cowbot Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:51 pm

So Oda and I were talking about class-specific abilities, and it occurred to me: Most of these should be attainable through henchmen.

Wizard henchmen could let you detect magic, rangers find hidden paths, etc.

This would open up the abilities to someone playing solo, and it would come at a cost: Henchmen are super dumb and hard to protect. They also take a slice of XP. So getting these abilities wouldn't be free, and a PC with that ability would still be preferred.

What does everyone else think?

Cowbot
Posting Knave

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2018-07-07

Back to top Go down

Henchmen enhancements Empty Re: Henchmen enhancements

Post  BenevolentDevil Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:35 am

Sounds good on the surface ...
But , I am not convinced it'd be great really. More encouraging to just solo.
as I see , at least the Ee version is very light on players ( every time I've visited , there's maybe one or two other players, usually in differing play times/days) ... rarely see each other, if at all.

Most spell-casters get summons, they can make golems here ( if I recall correctly) ... so a complete henchman system doesn't seem too far fetched.

But at the same time ... I'd prefer to have other players playing, role-playing with and exploring together.
pfffttt ... I learned maybe 10-15% of the "secrets" here before, and done forgot most of them. But it is "better" having friends/associates to travel and explore the vast lands here-in, discovery is huge here, sharing discoveries also nice.

I'm on the fence over it, I see both benefit and detriment of it.
BenevolentDevil
BenevolentDevil
Forum Courtier

Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2014-12-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Bavmorda
Race: Human
Overall Level: 11

Back to top Go down

Post  BenevolentDevil Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:46 pm

but at the same time ... I'd prefer to have other players playing, role-playing with and exploring together.
pfffttt ... I learned maybe 10-15% of the "secrets" here before, and done forgot most of them. But it is "better" having friends/associates to travel and explore the vast lands here-in, discovery is huge here, sharing discoveries also nice.

Or , ... enemies being played ... I forgot to mention that.

while I am not into PvP , Pk, or those aspects, ... I do not mind RP conflicts, not getting along, banter ... ect.
I really wish we could make the game seem more alive , and the only way to do so ... is by players interacting with other players.

I'm not opposed to "henchmen" , especially if "temporary" until population jumps up ...
But I'd rather these henchmen be more like Hired automations (golem like) , they might fight , but no "special skills" such as OL, PP, Trap Removal, super "spot skill" , spell casting of any sort. They might act as mules or bearers of equipment/gear , lantern bearers, ...ect.

BenevolentDevil
BenevolentDevil
Forum Courtier

Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2014-12-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Bavmorda
Race: Human
Overall Level: 11

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content