Neverwinter Nights Multiplayer Server 24x7 Now with NWN and NWN:EE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to lessen OOC party chat

+6
Dark Defiance
Sahral
Ulrek
MetalTree
Vials
Vaxel
10 posters

Go down

How to lessen OOC party chat Empty How to lessen OOC party chat

Post  Vaxel Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:54 pm

Okay, some people don't like the idea of using party chat as a OOC chat room kind of cause, I have an idea to lessen that a bit:
Disable party chat for everyone, then create Rings of Telepathy, which when worn, allows the player to speak in party chat and perhaps even conjour up pictures in other players minds IC.

What do you guys think?
Vaxel
Vaxel
Posting Knave

Male Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2010-04-01

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Overall Level:

Back to top Go down

How to lessen OOC party chat Empty Re: How to lessen OOC party chat

Post  Vials Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:36 pm

Never really liked Telepathy of any kind.. Telepathy leads to horrid metagaming of other elements of the game and generally creates forced RP or situations which do not remain relaxed when others (non-friends) start trying to use telepathy on another.

I've played on servers where Party Chat/Shout is completely disabled and after you play on a server like that for a few months.. you want all servers to be the same. You still communicate through tells, anyway.. so no harm there.. but IC is 'IC' at all times.. is much better in most cases.

As for an OOC medium? MSN/Skype/Meebo and play in windowed mode if you ~must~ talk with 10 people at once? I see no reason why it's needed.. but, since the server is in 'beta' I much prefer to have party chat open for bug reporting and collaboration with other online players at the time.

Vials

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalTree Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:50 pm

I agree with Vials, and most of the time when I'm on, that's all it is. Either someone is reporting a bug or asking for help Smile
MetalTree
MetalTree
Posting Knave

Female Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-06-20

Character sheet
Character Name: Katrynna Ellia
Race: Human
Overall Level: 40 (eventually) :P

http://I have none.com :(

Back to top Go down

Post  Ulrek Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:36 pm

alright, my thoughts on this are as follows.

Rule number 1 of hosting a server of any kind: never push the players to hard to play the game your way. what i mean by this is that disabling party chat is rather annoying, not to mention if a DM has a hard time multi tasking, they sometimes ask players to role play in party chat, my personal vote on the matter would be making party chat blue or another color, which would help any mistaken meta gaming, since it is hard sometimes to tell whats a party chat message and whats a talk channel message one you're staying up late for a all night event, etc.

second, about meta gaming: i personally think that worrying about abusing game systems and meta gaming is not very mature, and makes the player base overly watchful of each other and not very friendly with one another, i support sitting down and smoothing over any mishaps that happen, and even a little white lie if you mistook a talk channel message for a party chat message and meta gamed by mistake, i've covered one or two of those mishaps up myself but i stopped using the wrongly gained information etc.

anyway, as for the main topic.

this idea is already in place on a zombie server, i don't mind the system but i'm not sure if it would be hugely useful, since using party chat for OOC chatting is perfectly fine in my mind. also, some people don't have the connection speed or the desire to chat with people outside of NWN, since often times party chat happens with people you don't know, and for dial up, (yes i've met a few players on dial up, and have used it myself with NWN.) you would have to use a text based program, and personally playing in window mode is annoying on any game, and voice chat would bug the hell out of me if i was trying to role play at the same time. so in short, i'd support some type of limited spell or item that could allow IC chatting from player to player, but really party chat is there for a reason. thus i see no reason to change it, as if theres OOC chatting going on its likely in person anyway.

-Ulrek-

-Ulrek
Ulrek
Ulrek
Posting Knave

Male Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2009-06-02

Character sheet
Character Name: Cord Vinsack
Overall Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sahral Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:39 am

Party chat is a great way to help guide roleplay and request help from a larger audience without affecting the rest of the sim. I was surprised to be invited into one and the OOC discussions I've had with players and read have been a great help navigating a rather complex world without getting frustrated with it's quirks (beta testing). I think if a player just wanted to roleplay then it's easy enough to leave a party without anyone taking offense to it. It's optional, not a requirement. It's there as a global tool similar to using /Shout but effecting only those that are within the group. "It is in essense an OOC tool"

On a side note, the OOC party chat can help get to know players a bit better and create groups of players who are more closely knitted together if they have an idea of who they are roleplaying with. Nobody wants to come home and play a game that frustrates them even more or pisses them off, it's supposed to be fun...
Sahral
Sahral

Male Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-06-29

Character sheet
Character Name: Saryach Lengerdor
Overall Level: Level 16

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Defiance Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:24 pm

First let me apologize in advance if this seems harsh...

As a novice and infreqent roleplayer I will agree that *restricting* OOC in a party chat will hurt new players who may want to try RPing and kill us OOCers at the same time. I personally don't prefer RPing, but I respect RPers when they are present and will blend in as best I can (and get out as fast I can, hehe). Even in my limited experiance in DnD PnP games there is plenty of OOC chat amonst the GM and players. Not every PnP game group is like that though. Don't take away my only refuge in an RP world. ;-) Using the Tell channel is cumbersome...

NWN wasn't designed with RPers in a multiplayer (or rather PW/MMO RPers) in mind. It was always designed as a single player game with optional MP (not PW play). We builders have gone through great lengths to twist NWN to our whim, the way we want our games played out. If BW every release the source code to NWN you can almost bank on 10+ new chat channels being added: RP, Elf, Orc, etc.

With that said I can offer only an idea in which to find a balance. In 1.69 they added the OnPlayerChat event. This is a powerful tool in the right hands. Off the top of my head this could be done:

A role player could type [while in party chat] "RP: Master Dwarf, do you have a potion of X handy?" Now the "RP:" part is caught with in the script indicating its a roleplayer saying something. You can then in the script colorize the text to indicate its a roleplaying message, not just OOC talk. Sadly there is no way to direct or hide the messages to other players who may not want to see it, but it helps reading and (because of the color) getting RPers attention, while the OOCers can ignore it. Oh and vise versa: you can change the color of non RP chat to a different color, say "dark grey" (like whisper).

I was just stopping by...pay no mind to the dwarf as he exits. And if you read this far. Thanks. :-)

-DD

Dark Defiance

Male Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Eriniel Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:02 am

Yep Party Channel is defiantly useful for OOC and nothing else, I would suggest those that are against its use at all simply use the radial menu on their message window to turn it off (Click right Mouse Button on the area where party chat appears).

There is no need for this channel for role play as it dose not respect hearing range (Party channel being global) and is probably best left for OOC talk.

DMs can hear talk and whisper channels across the server so Party Channel isn't needed for DM'ed events either.

Disabling the Party Channel from the server would remove a vital OOC line that helps players to interact with each other in an OOC capacity, such as the tutorial or helping a player out of a pickle (Have rescued a few PCs from time to time when CEP Doors fail to open when on as PC myself, so I know this happens on rare occasion)

If you are in an event and need to talk to both DM and all party (say some party members are outside of hearing range) then the party channel is vital for this. (ie, have to go, etc ...)
Eriniel
Eriniel
Lead Scripter

Female Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Overall Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  Ragdoll_Knight Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:12 am

Also, some of us type slow when sleepy, and people tend to run away, or go through a door, before you can finish your thought. Party helps in these circumstances with /p *shouts after him* "Run coward! Before I chase you down and feast on your corpse" or /p *Said as ___ goes through the door* "See you around, friend"
Ragdoll_Knight
Ragdoll_Knight
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Character sheet
Character Name: Tony
Overall Level: 32

Back to top Go down

Post  Aradan Kir Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:30 am

How about party chat is assumed to be OOC unless the text is prefixed with something like "IC" - so the previous example of "Run you coward" would be "IC Run you coward". Much as people use things to denote OOC speak in normal talk (like //, ooc etc).

To me, IC Party chat only makes sense if the PCs are close enough to hear - and in that case, Talk works fine.

Chatting OOCly in party chat makes the server seem more friendly and welcoming, but less hardcore RP. Depends what sort of a server AR is aiming for.

Aradan Kir

Male Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-09-24

Character sheet
Character Name: Katharine Kir
Overall Level: 1

Back to top Go down

Post  Downslide Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:45 pm

I have to agree that Party Chat is more of an OOC tool than an IC/RP item. In application it totally defies IC/immersion. For example, if you're in a party with Bob, Dave, and Gina, and Matt's Character is sitting at the same table as the 4 of you, and the 4 of you are "RPing" in Party Chat, Matt's character doesn't hear any of it --which is a total break of immersion, as there would be no way for 4 people to communicate vocally and NOT have a 5th at the table hear them.

Most of the servers I've played on use Party chat as a convenience factor, for Parties to coordinate, or AFK'ers to catch up on what's happening or where the party is if they've been left behind.

Downslide

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down