Neverwinter Nights Multiplayer Server 24x7 Now with NWN and NWN:EE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Devastating Critical.

+15
MarquisIllusion
Orinai
Ragdoll_Knight
KangTheMad
Ranger of the Pubs
eve_of_disaster
Numanor86
Little Berde
AnmeyaMax
Shadow
ZEvilChickenZ
samanuske
Ulrek
GM_ODA
Julia_D_Audarius
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Devastating Critical. - Page 2 Empty Re: Devastating Critical.

Post  Ulrek Thu May 06, 2010 3:59 pm

[quote="eve_of_disaster"]
KangTheMad wrote:Why such a low DC? Because if it had a high DC, a rapier weaponmaster (critical threat range being 10-20 there) will be Dev critting every other hit, and the opponent would be unable to recover before he gets stunned again.

problem with that is a rapier is commonly used for DEX builds, not STR, unless you make a massive STR boost and DEX, which might take enough of your other skills away to give DMs a reason to play the NPC "you're ugly so i'm not going to tell you where big magic sword of death is" game with you.

cheers.

-Ulrek-
Ulrek
Ulrek
Posting Knave

Male Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2009-06-02

Character sheet
Character Name: Cord Vinsack
Race: Human
Overall Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  Ragdoll_Knight Thu May 06, 2010 4:00 pm

hehehehe or the exact opposite. Planar rift is an amazing weapon property Very Happy
Ragdoll_Knight
Ragdoll_Knight
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Character sheet
Character Name: Tony
Overall Level: 32

Back to top Go down

Post  Orinai Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:00 pm

OK,I'm not trying to kick a dead horse or anything but, was this ever resolved/discussed?
I've read this entire topic a couple times and I'd like to bring the pot up by throwing in a couple pennies.

Yes,IMHO, Dev crit IS overpowered. Even in its roots,it was never meant to be a 1HKO, unless used against something way below yourself in level. Higher level enemies suffered debilitating wounds.
Now someone suggested earlier to give it some kind of cookie. I know eri is a mad genius when it comes to this sort of thing, so I don't see it impossible.
My opinion is this;

Devistating Critical
On critical hit deals 20% damage to CURRENT health,1 damage to Strength and Dexterity attribute, and inflicts a cumulative -20% to movement or -2 AB. Also, has a random chance of inflicting one of the following status Daze, Confuse, Stun, Deafness, or Blindness with a DC of 28.
If the targets health drops under 10%(the PC's total health), then,and only then,will it kill instantly.

I figure the reason for only 20% is this, dev'rs crit alot, if too high a % then it will still only take a couple hits to kill something(less than a round). At 20, it will take about 1 full round(4-6 attacks) to kill something. This one round gives PC's time to actually decide fight or flight while keeping PvM a slaughterfest. And now with cookies.

Orinai
Forum Knight

Male Number of posts : 125
Location : the armpit of america, the black swamp. toledo ohio
Registration date : 2009-03-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Eurikai Duenrhae
Overall Level: 21

Back to top Go down

Post  MarquisIllusion Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:20 pm

In my opinion, it has no place on an RP server. The goal here, even in PvP, is for it to have some relevance to the world, the characters, the lore, and interaction between those. There is not, nor should there be, "balance", especially in a low-magic environment. Wizards and sorcerers command the arcane and weild devastating power. Clerics and paladins have reign over your immortal soul, and can heal the wounded with a simple touch. It should be enough that fighters and barbarians master their arms and armor to the point where they can stand toe-to-toe with a dragon, an IMMENSELY ancient and magical creature in and of itself. They should not be able to take it out with one lucky swing of their great-axe, no matter WHAT level they are.

MarquisIllusion

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2012-01-15

Back to top Go down

Devastating Critical. - Page 2 Empty Dev Crit

Post  Aurora Silverwolf Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:31 pm

To be honest and I say this from both a DM, Player and builder standpoint. If you disallow the Dev Crit then you will in effect destroy some existing players builds, not to mention likely discourage those that like to play strong fighter types ...

I personally like playing a Kukri master with Dev Crit. Having it does not mean you do Dev Crit damage with each hit but merely increases the chances of you having a hit on your opponent that will do some major damage. Always good for players like me for example that love to hunt or PVE (player vs. enviroment).

Note that alot of fighter builds include Dev Crit as part of the levelling up processes. So that would sort of cripple a fighter type toon.

Remember ours is not to Discourage new players but draw more in .. and to change that one feat requires lots of editing of scripts and both Eri and Daht already have their hands full.

~ DM Chaos (ie: Aurora)
Aurora Silverwolf
Aurora Silverwolf
Posting Knave

Female Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2010-10-01

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Overall Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  Valerion Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:24 am

Because of recent observations I'd like to push this thread and add two cents.

Pure Fighter characters may be slightly "crippled if not able to use devastating critical, but other class MIXES like Fighter monk, fighter mage and maybe a thrid whatever, make this feat a pure MUNCHKIN feat in my eyes.

I mean, one can easily minmax a character to be a mage, and fighter and therefore protect himself against a LOT including magic and such and empower the character even more, while being so maxed out that a dev crit goes up to the 50 fifties in saves, and there we have a PVP and PVE Character that is most likely to wipe the floor with any other character or monster, or rather almost any monster or character, which removes the challenge entirely and makes it more like a powerplaying or powergaming feat.

Just my 2 cents :D 
Valerion
Valerion
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 917
Registration date : 2011-12-24

Character sheet
Character Name: Valerion
Overall Level: 40

Back to top Go down

Post  theApparition Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:22 pm

Dev Critters have weaknesses, just like any other builds. You just need to know how to exploit them. I have absolutely no problem taking down dev'ers or epic dodgers for that matter. But that's because I know how to fight them, and usually my builds are designed to fight them. Other than the 1 hit knockout, I have no complaints about it.

That being said, Id say modify it a bit. Maybe take away the die instantly part and give it a really good boost in damage when you crit.
But don't just get rid of it, or make it /Class/ restricted.
theApparition
theApparition
Supporter
Supporter

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2013-02-05

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Overall Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:46 pm

theApparition wrote:Dev Critters have weaknesses, just like any other builds.  You just need to know how to exploit them.  I have absolutely no problem taking down dev'ers or epic dodgers for that matter.  But that's because I know how to fight them, and usually my builds are designed to fight them.  Other than the 1 hit knockout, I have no complaints about it.

That being said, Id say modify it a bit. Maybe take away the die instantly part and give it a really good boost in damage when you crit.

I agree but also maybe nerf it as well on the bosses who may have it.  I think even if you have dev yourself and a high skill the bosses could be higher.  I agree on the dying instantly, being knocked out should be enough.
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Number of posts : 2213
Registration date : 2010-07-11

Character sheet
Character Name: Charia/Arys
Race: Half-Elf
Overall Level: 30/30

Back to top Go down

Post  theApparition Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:45 pm

Animayhem wrote:
theApparition wrote:Dev Critters have weaknesses, just like any other builds.  You just need to know how to exploit them.  I have absolutely no problem taking down dev'ers or epic dodgers for that matter.  But that's because I know how to fight them, and usually my builds are designed to fight them.  Other than the 1 hit knockout, I have no complaints about it.

I agree but also maybe nerf it as well on the bosses who may have it.  I think even if you have dev yourself and a high skill the bosses could be higher.  I agree on the dying instantly, being knocked out should be enough.

Of course. Bosses (well most anyway) should be tougher.
theApparition
theApparition
Supporter
Supporter

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2013-02-05

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Overall Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum