Neverwinter Nights Multiplayer Server 24x7 Now with NWN and NWN:EE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Magical Shields (elemental)

3 posters

Go down

Magical Shields (elemental) Empty Magical Shields (elemental)

Post  Vaxel Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:16 pm

I think these are a bit overpowered, mostly due to the fact that they can stack. A wizard/sorc could cast Greater Stoneskin, Energy Buffer, Premonition for defence, and then Elemental Shield, Melfs Acid shield, and Death armour, all at the same time, and when anything attacks it like, 3-4 times, anything dies. I think that they shouldnt be able to stack, or atleast deal somewhat less damage.
Vaxel
Vaxel
Posting Knave

Male Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2010-04-01

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Overall Level:

Back to top Go down

Magical Shields (elemental) Empty Re: Magical Shields (elemental)

Post  Ragdoll_Knight Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:08 am

A foolish suggestion, for someone who mostly plays melee characters. The stackable, and fairly short duration, magic shields help to make up for the mage's extreme squishyness.

3-4 hits is more than enough for a well made fighter of equal or greater, and sometimes lesser, level to the mage to destroy them, even Pork thinks twice against Melf's Acid Shield.

With twice the HP us mages do, fighters have very little to fear, since the relatively low ammount of non-buff spells can rarely kill them, except for failing saves on insta-death spells. The shield allows a break in combat from the smarter, more experienced, fighters, which a mage can use to escape if need be. (the reason I have one extended acid sheathe and one regular, so when I'm out I can pop the regular and gtfo)

So in conclusion, i am extremely against this. In fact, I dont even think this should be considered.
Ragdoll_Knight
Ragdoll_Knight
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Character sheet
Character Name: Tony
Race: Human
Overall Level: 32

Back to top Go down

Post  Vaxel Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:35 am

I see where your going with that, but a mage could just become fully buffed, cast all shields around them, and IGM spam their opponent to the floor until they are mush, how on earth is any fighter, besides someone with high SR supposed to survive? A maximized IGM does 240 damage if lv 20, and the most HP I've ever seen anyone have around here is 575? Im not sure.
Vaxel
Vaxel
Posting Knave

Male Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2010-04-01

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Overall Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  Ragdoll_Knight Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:01 pm

While true about the Maximized IGMS, have you ever memorized all the buffs you'll need, and looked at the spell slots? If you prepare enough buffs for only you, and others that are situationally appropriate, like Acid Sheathe or Protection from Spells, you'll have a few other spells, if you prepare for a group... you can pretty much say goodbye to killing dragons or such with just magic.
Ragdoll_Knight
Ragdoll_Knight
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Character sheet
Character Name: Tony
Overall Level: 32

Back to top Go down

Post  eve_of_disaster Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:25 pm

I just have to say something. Though I haven't played nwn for almost a week, I can't resist to check in on the forum from time to time. Smile

Casters are very imbalanced. The acid sheathe/elemental shield combo is like nothing compared to the bigby hands, MIGM and timestop. If I had my way I would remove death immunity from items (since they basically set the mage on a path towards going evocation). Set IGMS to max 1d8 damage at least, or throw in a saving throw or something. There rightly should be a saving throw too, since you can easily dodge homing magic missiles. >.> <.<'

On dev crit, its possible to get a dc 50 dev crit and there's like nothing that can match that in saves unless you play like a paladin/blackguard or something, who is going charisma.

On the other hand, a cleric with wisdom maxed. An implosion-cleric could get the dc to 47 I believe.

Oh hey. An assassin can get a dc 50+ death attack I'm pretty sure. Dc is 10+assassin level+int modifier.

What else.. Oh yeah. There's this sick build on the nwn epic site which actually can do over 2000 damage in one critical. Lol. Thats with normal weapons! No enchantments!

I prefer casters but while they get cheap magic like Igms, timestop and bigby hands, its still quite possible to beat them, either with a good strategy or by having a cheap build.
eve_of_disaster
eve_of_disaster
Forum Courtier

Female Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2010-03-30

Character sheet
Character Name:
Overall Level: 40

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down