Neverwinter Nights Multiplayer Server 24x7 Now with NWN and NWN:EE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Humanoids and corpses.

4 posters

Go down

Humanoids and corpses. Empty Humanoids and corpses.

Post  Dranz Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:24 pm

So I was thinking about necromancy and zombies n stuff, and I thought it would be interesting if humanoid (humans, elves etc) npcs dropped a corpse on death like the new undead minion thingy, but maybe these corpses could have multiple uses? Like, a thief could maybe loot them, a necromancer take them and use them later, or the more religious could maybe bury them for divine favor or alignment? As it is now, it seems like most npcs die and their body just lays their awkwardly and unusable...well, save for some enemies. But I mean all, commoners strangers etc.

Seems like it might expand on not only necromancy, but thieving and divine based classes as well. Hell, maybe lycanthropes could devour them for sustenance >.> ...ew, anyway, thoughts?

Dranz
Posting Knave

Male Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2010-01-12

Character sheet
Character Name: Teb'fryn Do'lyl
Race:
Overall Level: 32

Back to top Go down

Humanoids and corpses. Empty Re: Humanoids and corpses.

Post  Ragdoll_Knight Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:56 pm

And a thing for vampires, if its fresh (no more than an hour, and make it so vampires can detect it, along with necromancers and priests)
Ragdoll_Knight
Ragdoll_Knight
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Character sheet
Character Name: Tony
Race: Human

Back to top Go down

Post  eve_of_disaster Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:48 am

Dranz wrote:So I was thinking about necromancy and zombies n stuff, and I thought it would be interesting if humanoid (humans, elves etc) npcs dropped a corpse on death like the new undead minion thingy, but maybe these corpses could have multiple uses? Like, a thief could maybe loot them, a necromancer take them and use them later, or the more religious could maybe bury them for divine favor or alignment? As it is now, it seems like most npcs die and their body just lays their awkwardly and unusable...well, save for some enemies. But I mean all, commoners strangers etc.

Seems like it might expand on not only necromancy, but thieving and divine based classes as well. Hell, maybe lycanthropes could devour them for sustenance >.> ...ew, anyway, thoughts?
......Burying the dead gives divine favour?

You just want commoners to drop corpses so you can make zombies of them, admit it!
eve_of_disaster
eve_of_disaster
Forum Courtier

Female Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2010-03-30

Character sheet
Character Name:
Overall Level: 40

Back to top Go down

Post  Dranz Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:51 am

Heyshush, I just want to give those poor dead souls some purpose in death, that's all! =P Besides, we all know your elf eats people, so it would work out well for her too!

No but seriously, no -real- thoughts on the matter besides Ragdoll? really? >.>

Dranz
Posting Knave

Character sheet
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaos1987 Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:45 am

Being the player of a rogue, I really don't think this will matter too much for us anyway. I mean oh, we can loot the commoner's body, maybe we'll find three silver and a gold ring.... if we're lucky. Oh no, instead we get a non-enchanted shortsword. That was worth the time it look to click on the body. (Sarcasm XD)

If rogues are going to hold any interest in this, they need to have some incentive other than minor treasure. You can get that all over Dohrol. Maybe rogue looting can give off moderately powerful items that other players can't loot. Maybe that commoner was carrying an amulet of natural armor +2, maybe it's a ring of regeneration, or the boots are ones the give bonuses to saving throws. Make it worth our while!
Khaos1987
Khaos1987
Posting Knave

Male Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2010-10-21

Character sheet
Character Name: Kross
Overall Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  Dranz Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:56 am

Rogues aren't always as picky as Kross, or Myles, you know. Not only that, but things like amulets of natural armor +2 were supposed to be a bit more rare than they happen to be to begin with I believe. xD A commoner wouldn't have stuff like that, what they -might- have is stuff relating to their job, or perhaps they were running an errand for a noble and happened to have something of notable value on them. But there aren't only commoners about either, there's priests, wandering monks(Who I think drop stuff already, being able to steal their corpse isn't -that- big a stretch o.o), uh...the tax man(Always wanted an undead tax man minion!). Be nice to see some banditry support. >=D

But rogues have quite a bit already, necromancers don't have much support for them. >.> That's why this suggestion was fueled by that, the -added- bonus is it can tie well in to other things too. I mean come on, at the very least the dead commoners that just lay there until an area resets would have -more- use than they do now (which is virtually non-existant.)

To summarize, I don't care about rogues, clerics, or lycanthropes(okay the third one I care about a bit, but only because I was one!) I'm just saying, it's not like it -only- benefits one profession. Though if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions to -add- to my own for whatever profession they so desire I'm hoping they do post them here.

Dranz
Posting Knave

Character sheet
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post  Ragdoll_Knight Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:57 am

Dranz wrote:Heyshush, I just want to give those poor dead souls some purpose in death, that's all! =P Besides, we all know your elf eats people, so it would work out well for her too!

No but seriously, no -real- thoughts on the matter besides Ragdoll? really? >.>

I think its a good idea, I personally love bodies over bags, mostly because every server I've seen using them has equipped items lootable too. (Could set. Some corpses to not be looted too)which is just more realistic
Ragdoll_Knight
Ragdoll_Knight
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Character sheet
Character Name: Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaos1987 Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:23 am

*Gasp* You think rogues are that good? What abilities do they have added? They can rest anywhere, but that's not rogue exclusive so I wouldn't count it. Then can also climb without a rope, which sounds nice... but I've only ever gotten that tool to work right once.

However, necromancers are just a subclass of wizard. And all those nifty new spells, you must agree, are freaking awesome. Teleportation is probably the best spell for Argentum, since the server itself is so big! And let's not forget they can craft wands with divine spells on them. In fact, necromancers have their own prestige class! And it's not a dumb prestige class like Harper Scout; A good one, like Red Dragon Disciple. What do rogues get? Assassin? I tore that apart in another thread. Shadowdancer? HiPS is the only quality ability in that whole mess. Granted that last one isn't unique to the server, but I don't see an illusionist or evoker prestige class.

And rogues are supposed to have all kinds of magical treasure, even when it's rare. They -are- the treasure hunters, the lock pickers, the trap disarmers. They're supposed to be rich, at least until they hit the bar after finding the dragon's hoard. Part of being a rogue is finding ways to grab lots and lots of great items when everyone else stumbles over their own two feet to try and find one.
Khaos1987
Khaos1987
Posting Knave

Character sheet
Overall Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  Dranz Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:40 am

Thing is, rogues aren't -only- treasure hunters. They can be anything from thieves to treasure hunters to drunkards light on their feet. Being rogue (or any class for that matter xD) doesn't nor should it guarantee magical items of power. Necromancers are a subclass of wizards, but we're -forced- to rely on things like teleportation and such because there's little support for necromancy specifically. I don't want to teleport, I want to experiment with corpses and have my way with death! But as opposed to asking for -spells- that say, raise a skeleton platoon, I'm asking for something that could potentially benefit more than necromancers/wizards in general.

Instead of hijacking the thread to debate the awesomeness or lack-there-of of rogues, why not add onto the existing suggestion so that it may benefit them more? Just FYI I'm not as upset as I think I may seem when someone reads this, just got back from walking at 1 am in the morning. =P

Just to add a bit, even rogues have to start somewhere. All those 'lesser' items can add up if you're crafty. =P Maybe find a DM to rp scamming someone! XD

Dranz
Posting Knave

Character sheet
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post  eve_of_disaster Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:17 am

I prefer the type of necromancer that digs up the graveyard for their corpses, drags them home to the shed and then later you can hear this maniacal laughter from within as they get to their nefarious work.

It doesn't make sense that a necromancer would grab a corpse in the middle of the street though, does it? They'd be walking around all dark and emo-like and people would fear them even without them actually murdering random people in the streets to steal their corpses. In Dohral, magic is actually banned inside the walls, I think. So the tolerance level is very low already. To have some white-haired guy walk around and snatch corpses would be a sight. If you want to do something nifty for necromancers I'd much more like the possibility that maybe necromancy needs embalmed corpses, or at least prepared corpses, which forces necromancers to actually work a bit for their minions. To me that would be alot of fun. Like you need a special table where you put the corpse and add things to it. The possibilities could really be neat too, like permanent changes to a corpse that when you raise it later maybe you have added some Ioun stones and they have a higher armor class, or thunderstones and they do sonic damage or can resist sonic damage better or something.

eve_of_disaster
eve_of_disaster
Forum Courtier

Character sheet
Character Name:

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaos1987 Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:18 am

That's a great idea Eve! Make undead minions less like a spell, more of a crafting thing. Makes it so they need a special embalming table in order to even think about raising a minion. And then let the necromancer be able to put that minion back on the table to upgrade it with various things. But they could get very powerful, so we might need a restriction on how many minions a single necromancer can have. Maybe it'll be dependent on how many HD the caster has or something.

Make it a CHORE to get those bodies. As Dranz brought up, being a rogue doesn't guarantee you treasure and magic items, just like being a nercromancer doesn't guarantee you undead minions. Razz
Khaos1987
Khaos1987
Posting Knave

Character sheet
Overall Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  eve_of_disaster Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:38 am

Khaos1987 wrote:That's a great idea Eve! Make undead minions less like a spell, more of a crafting thing. Makes it so they need a special embalming table in order to even think about raising a minion. And then let the necromancer be able to put that minion back on the table to upgrade it with various things. But they could get very powerful, so we might need a restriction on how many minions a single necromancer can have. Maybe it'll be dependent on how many HD the caster has or something.

Make it a CHORE to get those bodies. As Dranz brought up, being a rogue doesn't guarantee you treasure and magic items, just like being a nercromancer doesn't guarantee you undead minions. Razz
Well.. Maybe a suffieciently upgraded undead minion takes mor focus to keep under control, thus lowering the amount of undead controlled at the same time. So Teb'fryn might summon a particular minion that is very efficient vs a type of opponents but less so against others? The corpse should have its own hitpoints too imo. Since he'll be able to reuse it when it dies he should also have to repair it before reusal, probably requiring craft armor skills or at least a few classes in elbalming-school.
eve_of_disaster
eve_of_disaster
Forum Courtier

Character sheet
Character Name:

Back to top Go down

Post  Dranz Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:34 pm

That's a good idea too (Actually a really good one.), but at the same time there's always going to be the need for a corpse on-the-go =P Whether one grabs a corpse from the middle of the street or not is a personal issue with the character and they'd just have to deal with the consequences, and if it's an issue of decay or preparation I can see no reason someone with spell focus necromancy or some such couldn't 'prepare' the corpse through more arcane means. There are both arcane and less arcane sides to it.

Think about it, raising your minions one-by-one is productive when you might want to create something more powerful, but what sensible person would let all those bodies littering the battlefield go to waste? I'm not -exactly- sure why everyone seems opposed to the suggestion at hand, though. It's about more than just necromancy...

I know it has the potential to benefit more than one 'profession' in it's own ways, but instead of coming up with ideas to benefit everyone, everyone else seems keen on shooting it down or twisting the subject to something else. As they are now, npcs like commoners and those weird ol' farmers outside just lie there and vanish eventually (There -are- npcs outside of the city!) leaving no trace, which sucks.

And no, being a necromancer doesn't guarantee undead minions, but being a (shady) resourceful(And quite clever!) necromancer does! =P Either way, I'm not trying to make tools of war for necromancers, I'm trying to give the dead npcs that don't even vanish upon death some purpose other than to just lay there. I mean they don't even drop remains right now. =l Necromancy was bound to come up, since corpses and my character tend to go hand in hand.

Dranz
Posting Knave

Character sheet
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaos1987 Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:24 am

Oh no, don't let Kross find about Teb's corpses, or he'll immediately think of that as something sexual and come up with a new nickname that will cause a fight. It would be a funny conversation, though. Very Happy

The main reason I'm opposed to this is that secretly, I don't want mages to get any more powerful on this server. In NWN, high level mages dominate warriors, but at least the warriors have a chance with high level magical equipment. On this server, magical equipment is supposed to be rare for even rogues, which isn't a problem for arcane casters, but it severely weakens melee classes even more, since they don't get much better at a base level unless you play as a monk, but that's a class that's all about ignoring items. Add in all the new spells, the crafting system that allows divine spells to be put into items by non divine characters (I'm still in shock about that one), and powerbuilds are frowned upon, and melee classes end up being even weaker than normal... which is pretty weak to start out with.

I guess I'm just.... sore. I like playing warrior type classes, and they get quite the raw deal on this server unless you're half dragon. And then to see a suggestion for ANOTHER perk of being a wizard (necromancer) it's like... Hey, there's no need to pile more on top, you guys should be more than happy with the godlike power already. I mean you guys can TELEPORT at will, holy crap. I'd be happy with just that, screw undead minions. Not spending 30-40 RL minutes walking to and from one place to another is a blessing on this server since it's so huge. It's hard for me to explore new areas as a melee class, because I know once I get somewhere, I'll have to walk all the way back whether I find something or not.

Now warrior classes can usually make up for this by getting magic items, so they at least stand a chance and serve a purpose. Maybe they get enough items together to have enough immunities or spell resistance to go toe to toe with a mage half their level and win. As it stands right now, Krossy is quite a decent level, but without the backing of powerful magic items, he can be easily beaten by a low level mage. And I mean low level, as in "I can cast fear now" level. It's hard to expect game balance in NWN, but powerful magic items are one of the last advantages melee classes had. That and devastating critical.

*Takes a deep, zen breath* Ahh... it felt good to get that all out in the open. I'm hoping some discussion will come of that. But not until we finish the undead minion discussion first, since that's the purpose of the topic and we've gotten off track a bit already.

If I push aside my bias, having undead minions for necromancers makes sense, but they should at least try to have some restrictions on hauling off bodies. I mean if people saw Tebby running around the battlefield, stuffing bodyparts into a bag, he'd probably be hated, feared, and labeled as a "Typical evil drow". Maybe shopkeepers wouldn't talk to him anymore. Maybe commoners would avoid him. Maybe the guard would attack him on sight. Unless he got a job as the city mortician or something, then he could at least keep all that a secret. You shouldn't expect to be treated fairly when you're walking around with someone's father or mother reanimated as a slave for you against their will, after all. Zombie slaves really hurt your chances of making anything but a hostile impression.
Khaos1987
Khaos1987
Posting Knave

Character sheet
Overall Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  Dranz Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:24 pm

Yes well, that's why he doesn't run around with corpses and necromancy all willy nilly. xD I never intended for this to be something added in the near future or anything, I was just posting the suggestion so it's there. I just woke up, so no long post yet.

Dranz
Posting Knave

Character sheet
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum