Neverwinter Nights Multiplayer Server 24x7 Now with NWN and NWN:EE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prestige Classes and subraces

5 posters

Go down

subraces - Prestige Classes and subraces Empty Prestige Classes and subraces

Post  sploenk Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:04 pm

Hi,

I think i'll be stepping on more than a few toes with this post, but here goes..

I'm a bit worried about the number of subraces and prc's in dohral PW. There is a wildgrowth of Lycans, Vampires, and other halfbreeds, mutations, monsters, etc...they have great power to get a player to a high level fast but i think the concequences of choosing those races are being ignored. Playing such subraces (...etc) should be thought through very carefully because they unbalance the server greatly. For example and this is my opinion, vampires especially low level vampires shouldn't be around humans at all, young vampires wouldn't be able to control their need of blood and should go on a frenzie if they are around humans or whatever, only greater (high level) vampires would be able to resist the urge to feed...yet i see them nosferatu walking around like it's a sunny day in the park. Lycans, (pups, low level) should not be able to transform on will but only on full moon, and when transformed they should lose control of their character, if they are around humans, bad luck, you'll die, so they should be forced to flee and hide in a lair when the moon is full...only older, disciplined lycans should be able to control the rage...

As for PRC's, they aren't called presigious for nothing, and i find the core requirements too easy, they work well in a SIngle Player Static game, but the PRC's have great power, and they should be earned by roleplay not by meeting the requirements...

I have a few suggestions for this...:
- if you want to play anything other than the standard races, you need to create a detailed character sheet, and motivate your choice of playing that specific subrace...
- the number of subraces should be restricted depending on the playerbase
- only high level subraces can INFECT a PC after a motivation is submitted to the resident dm's
- if you want to play PRC you should apply for it with a motivation and character sheet, and gaining that class should be roleplayed by a DM'd event

I know this sounds like stalin has dropped communism on this server, but i think this would make players really respect their characters, and thus improve roleplay...

I'm looking forward to the replies, and i'd love to discuss the subject.

be nice...Cheers
sploenk
sploenk
Forum Courtier

Male Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2012-10-11

Character sheet
Character Name: Salino Mudenya
Race: Halfling
Overall Level: 36

Back to top Go down

subraces - Prestige Classes and subraces Empty Re: Prestige Classes and subraces

Post  DM_Dekkar Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:14 pm

I do agree with this to an extent, Argentum has always been a server about allowing "Choice" and giving players an experience they most likely can't get anywhere else, but in that same sense a line does need to be drawn in the respect of role-play. Every script in this server is role-play oriented, HTF system, the details, swimming, and even the races involved. While the world has a wide variety of crazy and mythical creatures about I do think to those who wish to experience the unique ones would be better tested with a DM run event, and a biography on how you are different and stand out from the crowd of other lycans, vampires, etc. This will need to be discussed more. Good suggestion! Very Happy
DM_Dekkar
DM_Dekkar
Posting Knave

Male Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2012-01-01

Character sheet
Character Name: DM Dekkar
Race: Human
Overall Level: Over 9000!

http://tobeking.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

subraces - Prestige Classes and subraces Empty Re: Prestige Classes and subraces

Post  sploenk Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:29 pm

i agree...players should have the freedom of choice, but they should also respect the downsides of choosing a subrace, even drow, duergor, or dragonkin, if those downsides are not controlled this awesome PW will dissapear in the hell that's called powergaming...

..it's good fun to gain the rank of greater vampire but the road to gain that status should be hard, bloody and above all fulfilling, due to that hardship!!!...the destination is not the reward but the journey to it is...Smile...your pc will be respected, by you and the other players...

just my two cents!!

cheers
sploenk
sploenk
Forum Courtier

Male Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2012-10-11

Character sheet
Character Name: Salino Mudenya
Race: Halfling
Overall Level: 36

Back to top Go down

Post  DM_Dekkar Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:35 pm

I do think power gaming will be an issue if it's not corrected, I've seen it done already. The server needs to get back on track now that it's soon to finally after all this time, come out of beta. As I said, this will have to be brought to light with the admins and other DMs and discussed further to get an agreeable outcome. It's not to late Wink
DM_Dekkar
DM_Dekkar
Posting Knave

Male Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2012-01-01

Character sheet
Character Name: DM Dekkar
Overall Level: Over 9000!

http://tobeking.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:39 pm

I agree. I play on another world which requires bios before your character can be approved. In that bio you must have justification for why a subclass or prestige class.

I am not advocating that one has a bio before they can play but I do think there should be at least if not in game in character forum rp to justify why they are deserving of a speciality.

I also play on a world by which you either have to do the above and if approved by an admin or dm you can choose the class. If they decline then if you have enough noteriety then you will be able to choose on your own.

Although I did not get any special perks I did do ingame and forum rp to justify Charia has being half-fey.
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Number of posts : 2213
Registration date : 2010-07-11

Character sheet
Character Name: Charia/Arys
Race: Half-Elf
Overall Level: 30/30

Back to top Go down

Post  Elgate Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:48 pm

I do agree that it gets a bit odd when everyone in a room is not a standard race. I know one server did a 'Roleplay cookie' system. DM's would award players with 'cookies' for RP they thought stood out or was good. Certain races, especially the more difficult to RP races, required both an application with a character sheet, showing good understanding and reasoning of the character, and a specific amount of cookies (taken from the players characters as necessary).

I knew certain Prestige classes also required these cookies (RDD for example, because everyone kept taking them for the wings...), but I also feel making all prestige classes only available by RP is going to be time consuming and perhaps a bit too restraining.

As for Vampires and Lycans, remember you will find these out in the wilds, and a real IG risk is getting infected by them- otherwise they're just standard monster encounters. If you get infected like this (which is IC, but not done by a DM), do you just ask to be DM cured? Can you only become a Lycan or Vampire by asking OOCly to become one? This isn't a race as such you start off as, or willing choose to become. There should be a real risk of being infected unwillingly too. That's part of the fear vampires and Lycans cause. Maybe, to allow for this fear and chance of infection to exist, instead vampire and Lycan levels can only be gained through RP?

((On this note, I'm trying to collect DnD standard lore and rules on Vampirism and Lycans. This is a good source for the basic info (Lycans= http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Lycanthrope ,Vampires= http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Vampire))
Elgate
Elgate
Forum Sage

Female Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2011-01-31

Character sheet
Character Name: Grace Fennerset
Overall Level: 30

Back to top Go down

Post  GM_ODA Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:50 pm

During BETA there are NO RESTRICTIONS ON RACE OR PRCs - this is intentional so we can get the stuff tested that we need to test. Yes, that does mean you see lots of strange races here. That's the nature of the BETA test phase.

There WILL be limits and rules on taking such things post BETA. These rules will not require forum participation as a forum is an OOC resource and being not in game, it is a drag on a DM and PLAYERS to alt-tab from game to forum for info ... that is just NOT what I'm trying to do here. Ultimately, the TOME OF SELF will handle all backstories, even for monsters so that the material is available in game to systems and DMs. PLAYERS/PCs have no need to access the backstories and other data except ICly through RP.

Be well. Game on.
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Male Number of posts : 3070
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Firkin Alechugger
Race: Dwarf
Overall Level: 11

https://web.archive.org/web/20151106073532/http://playnwn.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down