Neverwinter Nights Multiplayer Server 24x7 Now with NWN and NWN:EE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

alignment in video games

2 posters

Go down

can you tell your character's personality made some meaningful impact on your game? (check all that apply)

alignment in video games Vote_lcap0%alignment in video games Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
alignment in video games Vote_lcap11%alignment in video games Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]
alignment in video games Vote_lcap22%alignment in video games Vote_rcap 22% 
[ 2 ]
[ 2 ]
[ 2 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 9

alignment in video games Empty alignment in video games

Post  jamoecw Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:15 pm

after reading a recent post on thoughts for an alignment-less paladin it got me thinking about my experiences with alignment in NWN and video games in general. sometimes i load up a game and don't put any real thought into character creation, but a few games have robust enough character creation that i always put at least a minimal amount of effort into their creation. bioware tends to make games like this so NWN is a game that i put at least some thought into creating a character. to me a character has a mind set which dictates his actions, and while i tend to model them similar to mine i do like to alter them enough so that i have to 'roleplay'.

there is a problem though i find with video games in general, and that is that no matter how well it is made it can't cover even a nine alignment based personality system well. personally i find that a particular alignment is catered to and it unravels the further away from that you get, so i tend to cater my character creation out of what i expect is expected from me. if i feel a game is well made i might replay it with a different character and an alignment to go with it, although the differing alignment is never done as well the primary, and the best spread of alignments that have been done with any real success is two.

so i figured i would start a poll to see if my experience measures up to what others have experienced. who knows maybe someone will know if there is an old game out their that managed better than two personality choices.

Last edited by jamoecw on Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding a yes in the poll to make choices a little more clear.)

jamoecw
Posting Knave

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-08-31

Back to top Go down

alignment in video games Empty Re: alignment in video games

Post  Ulrek Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:03 am

if you want two old games that are good role playing RPGs get fallout (1 and 2 Fallout Tactics is more of a mini RTS like commandos) and the Baldur's Gate games those 2 groups of games were sweet the only main down side is thay are locked in to their paths without knowing how to code and make your own add-ons NWN1s main success is that it opened the way for even the small time gamer to make his own multiplayer game come to life not just on a set path this is why it is still alive today (dying slowly but its been on for alot longer than some games have) thus i say NWN stands its ground just not the same ground as Baldur's gate 1 and 2 and Fallout 1 and 2

anyway just my two cents...
Ulrek
Ulrek
Posting Knave

Male Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2009-06-02

Character sheet
Character Name: Cord Vinsack
Race: Human
Overall Level:

Back to top Go down