Neverwinter Nights Multiplayer Server 24x7 Now with NWN and NWN:EE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coding - DM ODA / Eriniel

2 posters

Go down

Coding - DM ODA / Eriniel Empty Coding - DM ODA / Eriniel

Post  Lmwamh Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:28 am

Out of curiosity what kind of coding do you know? I want to learn coding and was hoping that maybe you could help point me in the right direction. I was thinking C+. I know this is an awkward question to ask, but I'm wondering where a good place to start to attempt coding would be, and where to learn. I'm assuming there is coding in NWN scripts, correct? Is this C? Thanks you two, and I appreciate any effort to reply/and/or help.

Lmwamh
Posting Knave

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2009-03-03

Back to top Go down

Coding - DM ODA / Eriniel Empty Re: Coding - DM ODA / Eriniel

Post  GM_ODA Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:53 am

I dabbled in a few languages way back when, cobol, asm, basic, fortran - that was on mainframes. Switched to PCs in the early 80's so I only took my basic language to any level of sophistication and tools were a bit limited for me due to budget (I'm totally a non-pirate, if it is not free or I cannot afford it, I don't have it in my collection).

I shifted to HTML and CSS in the early 90's - SEO (Search Engine Optimization) was my forte - my practice pages were my hobby pages and I kept three discrete sites in the top 20 of most major engines for about a decade - for high competition keywords like 'role playing game' . . . not bad, given the field of returns from google at that time were in excess of ten million. Very Happy Alas, my injury prelcuded me from continuing as the 'one man shop' and so I had to give that up. While I was ill, in part to distract myself, I set out to teach myself C language... via NWN.

NWScript is a sub set of C language, the syntax and grammar are very much the same, so learning in one you are learning part of the other. There are many learning aids out there, for nwn I recommend the NWN Lexicon, and a dose of patience. Very Happy It always helps to have a skilled coder to bounce your ideas off of too (for me, that is Eriniel).

I'm gaining in skill and still learning as I go, but I think I've come a pretty long way from those early days with too much coffee and too little reading under my belt. Very Happy The two cured one another tho, so no prob. Very Happy

So, in short GO FOR IT.

Be well. Game on.
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Male Number of posts : 3070
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Firkin Alechugger
Race: Dwarf
Overall Level: 11

https://web.archive.org/web/20151106073532/http://playnwn.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Lmwamh Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:05 pm

Alright cool. Thanks for that, and I'll look into it. I wasn't sure of the type of coding NWN used, but I was under the assumption it was C. I'll start looking into it soon. I didn't get much sleep last night so I'm kind of burned out at the moment. XD

Lmwamh
Posting Knave

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2009-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down