Neverwinter Nights Multiplayer Server 24x7 Now with NWN and NWN:EE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The IN_EVENT Flag

+2
cjc180
Hacatsu
6 posters

Go down

The IN_EVENT Flag Empty The IN_EVENT Flag

Post  GM_ODA Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:21 pm

Friends,
At times a PC is involved in a DMed event and interfering with the PC at such times by other PCs may be to the detriment of the event the DM is engaged in running. In short, at such times as a PC might be in an event, it would be useful if other PLAYERS might be able to discern this, or even to have the state of a PC impact how spells function in regard to that PC.

EXAMPLE : Wand of Misc is used by a PC on another PC, option appears in dialog "#) Check Event Status" which would cause a read out of the status of the PC.

EXAMPLE : Wand of Misc is used by a DM on a PC, option appears in dialog "#) Flag/UnFlag PC as in event."

EXAMPLE : Scrying used against a PC marked as IN_EVENT would be prefaced with a warning to the scrying PLAYER that the subject is engaged in a DMed event and the scrying PC should not interfere without the event-DM's permission.

Feedback?
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Male Number of posts : 3070
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Firkin Alechugger
Race: Dwarf
Overall Level: 11

https://web.archive.org/web/20151106073532/http://playnwn.com/

Back to top Go down

The IN_EVENT Flag Empty Re: The IN_EVENT Flag

Post  Hacatsu Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:12 pm

Excellent idea Smile, altough I don't know if it may be necessary to add that. A simply PM to the player and many problems can be avoided
Hacatsu
Hacatsu
Forum Courtier

Male Number of posts : 394
Registration date : 2013-12-05

Character sheet
Character Name: Drurazor Urnagahaz
Overall Level: 30

Back to top Go down

Post  cjc180 Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:54 am

I think this would be a great time to use a poll to decide! Sounds like a solid plan, just more prep for a DM is all, but if they're willing, there's no problems.
cjc180
cjc180
Posting Knave

Male Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2013-06-28

Character sheet
Character Name: Haven Arnimane
Race: Human
Overall Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  GM_ODA Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:21 am

Friends,

Some illumination on the reasoning:

If we leave it to PLAYERS to just send TELLS either to other PLAYERS or DMs - it could mean a boat load of interruptions to the RP/event for those who are target of those TELLS - having it done through a tool means no OOC interruptions. More it means those PLAYERS who would be otherwise disinclined to expose their presences by contacting anyone can still do the polite thing and avoid interrupting other PLAYERS events.

Maybe we could have the player side of the tool just reveal a list of who is 'in events'? This would make it a one click to reveal - simple as it gets?
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Absol 13 Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:34 am

I like this Idea. It will make things go alot smoother in my opinion.
Absol 13
Absol 13
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 695
Registration date : 2012-03-12

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race: Half-Elf
Overall Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  Shar Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:48 am

This is a great idea but do we have enough players to justify it?
Shar
Shar
Forum Vizier

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2012-01-15

Character sheet
Character Name: Ne'Sekoleth
Race:
Overall Level: 20

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:44 am

One thing though if this goes into affect and a player comes on would they be included in the event? It could dishearten some people to see others in one and they are not. I am guessing this is for random events dms put out there just because people are on? Semi established events the the Hunters and Riftstone would still be announced before hand?
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Number of posts : 2213
Registration date : 2010-07-11

Character sheet
Character Name: Charia/Arys
Race: Half-Elf
Overall Level: 30/30

Back to top Go down

Post  GM_ODA Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:07 am

Friends,
Sometimes I get complaints from all quarters that one PC or another 'spoiled an event' by blundering in, or trying to get involved when the event was already underway, or even just by 'being in the way' of some event and becoming caught up in the event. Many events are very limited in the scope of levels to which they cater by design; making a challenge for all in an event is MUCH harder to do with disparate levels - and in some cases impossible. A simple system like this, which would require _maybe_ 100 lines of code added to the whole module (e.g. 'check for variable if set then fail' being inserted at the head of any script that would be 'abortable by this flag', and the inclusion of just ONE, two stage conversation thread in an existing conversation/dlg file.

Since spoiled events can precipitate PLAYER-PLAYER 'issues', these often requiring my time to sort out, I figure if a scripted system like this helped me avoid even ONE such complaint a year, I think it would be worthwhile effort. It would avoid my having to spend hours getting 'up to speed' on who did what to whom, it would help me avoid having to arbitrate problems by eliminating the cause of such problems.

Should such a system ( open to discussion here - but not planned for work until BETA is done ) include a "I'm busy, let me alone!" option for PCs? such things might be automatically set when a PC is (for example) in a College Class (in-session), or engaged in crafting, etc. Are there any other status a PC should be able to proclaim in this context?

To Animayhem's post:
Any PC could be targeted by a DM running an event and be marked with this variable, which tells systems and other PLAYERS that a PC is IN_EVENT. A DM could choose to include a PC just logged in for example - I hope that answers your question. It would be useful to both scheduled and impromptu events' participants as it would allow a DM to ensure that the event in progress would not likely get interrupted needlessly. Any PLAYER wishing to participate in an event already in progress would be instructed to contact the DM to ask for inclusion. The DM can choose to include or decline the request as suits the DMs needs at the time.

TO PLAYERS : PARTIES with disparate level PCs in them totally SUCK, most DMs won't want to run for such a PARTY ... if you want to join an event, do so with a PC of comparable level PERIOD. No excuses. I don't want to hear "Oh my high-level PC will only take out what the party can't handle." The answer is NO, the DM will NUKE YOUR PC IF YOU PESTER US FOR SUCH FOOLISHNESS it is prohibited here. Get a PC of comparable level and we'll let you join in, otherwise, the answer is NO.

Very Happy
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down