Neverwinter Nights Multiplayer Server 24x7 Now with NWN and NWN:EE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Members PLEASE - if you must comment on this matter, do so in this thread.

2 posters

Go down

Members PLEASE - if you must comment on this matter, do so in this thread. Empty Members PLEASE - if you must comment on this matter, do so in this thread.

Post  GM_ODA Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:12 am

Friends,
I will dance around an issue here because I do NOT want certain keywords to appear in the thread - the sort of keywords that might be the 'modern high tech world" equal to my storybook farm story to follow.

The Neverwinter c 0nn3c7! 0n5 Farm

Eriniel and I have a hen-house, down on the farm. It produces eggs desired by many. We hope to buy food for the hens by asking those taking eggs to donate from time-to-time.

The hen-house was not originally ours. Originally, it was built on leased land, from rented materials. The original owner had built one here in the same place but it was with materials rented from a group who demand a high price for the use of them. When the previous owner departed, giving us the hen-house brand, it was because he had lost lease on the original farm. We found a temporary farm and examined the hen-house. We opted to not use the expensive materials but crafted our own from the effort of our own hands and erected to our own careful design. I state this as we, upon examining the old hen-house, found that it had left numerous opportunities for foxes to enter, and evidence showed that enter they did so, repeatedly. Foxes present both a danger to the hens and, should one carry some dangerous vector, could cause the eggs to be less-than-safe for consumption.

Eriniel and I, as conscientious sorts, would never allow the consumers of the eggs to get 'bad eggs' from us, in part because it would make running the farm so darned difficult, and for no good reason. We are not lazy but we don't want to make more work for ourselves, and foxes can be all kinds of mischief. So our new hen-house, we built ourselves from materials that are not 'rented from a far benefactor' but instead are owned by us, and robustly provisioned against general foxxing. Our new hen-house was built, back in 2013 (spring of that year) but we were unable to find two essential parts, one is a paint job which takes a special artist's hand to do in a legal way (details elsewhere in the other threads) and the other is some funding to gain proper control of a bit of unreal-estate suited to the new permanent farm.

Now, establishing and keeping the farm takes money, and we had recently secured the promise of support to help open a new farm under the same farm brand name - help promised us by a generous benefactor to our other effort in a fantasy world not far from here actually.... Eriniel and I were assessing the various farm locations available to us on the budget offered to us, and it takes careful assessment to pick the right location for our farm. It had been a long time in the making, as it was exceedingly hard to find benefactors even among the many egg-consumers, to assist in the funding of the new farm where we could establish our newly re-designed hen-house. Fully two years passed without any of the egg-consumers stepping up to our simple request for help, and only recently had the arrangement with the kindly benefactor been reached.

Then, this happened,

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

and we now are dis-inclined to invest our generous benefactor's pledged funds in the effort, thinking we may just make it a point to leave the brand name go fallow as the foxes know it too well and will certainly call again. We view rebuilding the hen-house without suitable precautions against the foxes that will surely come sniffing about, is utter folly, and folly is NOT in our toolkit.

Instead I think we will let these other farmers have a go at it on their own, under their own new brand name. These new wannabe-farmers seem snipingly-hostile, so we'll give them a wide berth to suit their egos.

And instead we shall focus our efforts here, and on the new game engine which we are now evaluating for our next project.
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Male Number of posts : 3070
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Firkin Alechugger
Race: Dwarf
Overall Level: 11

https://web.archive.org/web/20151106073532/http://playnwn.com/

Back to top Go down

Members PLEASE - if you must comment on this matter, do so in this thread. Empty Re: Members PLEASE - if you must comment on this matter, do so in this thread.

Post  GM_ODA Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:49 am

I am expressly asking all response to this situation be in this forum in this thread.

I don't want any of our community members to get booted from the bioware boards.

GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Members PLEASE - if you must comment on this matter, do so in this thread. Empty Re: Members PLEASE - if you must comment on this matter, do so in this thread.

Post  GM_ODA Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:50 am

Here are places where my detractors depart from reality for reasons I find unfathomable.

Baaleos wrote:
With regards to the rant on this topic : If a site is left in disarray for 2 years, and the excuse is 'we need art', it kinda feels like sandbagging to me.

If I failed to even attempt to finish a project at work, and my reason was 'because I was waiting for 'insert name here' to finish X. I would be criticized for my inaction.

Why not even just add temporary images, or black backgrounds- anything is better than nothing.

No one was expecting a perfect looking finished article first time lucky.

Something functional, still could have been constructed regardless of visual quality.

So now I'm a 'sandbagger' ... here is the definition

specifically "to thwart or cause to fail or be rejected, especially surreptitiously or without warning:
He sandbagged our proposal by snide remarks to the boss." -- URL below

So I stand publicly accused of intentionally and with stealth having sabotaged the NWC project.

Get a clue fool, this is not my JOB. Who are you to call me into question when I - a volunteer - put out there to the community asking for a small bit of specialized help to produce or secure useful art? I don't get paid. You, Baaleos don't pay me, you are not my boss. Who are you to set deadlines? You have not lifted a finger to help and you demonstrate fully your thimble full of lore along side your bucket full of loud opinion. BLACK IMAGE PLACEHOLDER ART WOULD NOT WORK HERE and if you'd read the thread and possessed some modicum of understanding you'd know that. This is not about 'visual quality' of the site. The post that requested the art help was very clear about the purpose.

Baaleos wrote:

Ehye_Khandee wrote:I am not sure I have a polite word for what it is to suggest "Control of the URL and IP address should be given over to the community" ... maybe 'jargon-impaired'.

Lets go all Capitalist

You own the Domain, are you getting any use out if?

Would you be willing to sell the rights to it to someone who will put it to better use and less prone to tantrums?

Well, when you insult me in the same sentence that you ask me to sell you something... how could I refuse?

Ah, like this. *makes the ancient symbol of the avian*

Ah, ok, at least ONE out of the carping magpies actually knows what a DOMAIN NAME is (note the bold ignorance demonstrated in sloppy terminology used by the person I was quoting from henesua. For the benefit of those who have never built a web site before, an URL may contain a DOMAIN, but one does not 'transfer an URL', and while a Domain Name may be associated with an IP and vice versa, an IP is not something that can be transfered among machines, these are not portable like a telephone number ... and this is the fellow going to code the new stuff? Ah, ok, sure). This gives me no confidence at all and that leads to a negative response.

*facepalm* sarcasm-on Heck fellows, you know, you are right. If I had started art school immediately upon realizing my need for this art work, I might have been able to complete the whole web site. I am such a sandbagger I guess, I should have just gone to art school, cause we all know I can afford it eh? sarcasm-off

The facts here are art was needed for purposes of functionality   <<< FREE CLUE FOR MY DETRACTORS, get one!

Neither Eriniel nor I are artist, so we asked the community for help AND GOT NO HELP.

More, nobody asked us about the status of the 'old farm brand' prior to just swarming our work and reputations in a public forum.

Neither Eriniel nor I are independently wealthy, there is nothing we can do monetarily to help the situation for NWC.

IT WAS THE GOOD WILL OF OUR OWN FORUM MEMBERS / PLAYERBASE that has kept the 'under construction' site online, with no help from the rest of the community. And recently, just this last winter in fact, from among our generous PLAYERBASE one stepped forward with an offer of funds for a dedicated server to host ... the lease on a new farm!

Since no member of the community was forthcoming with the required art, my plan B involved calling on an old friend, a well known painter, fellow by the name of 'Larry E.', but to be honest, having experienced the love and appreciation of 'the community' for so long, I am at loathe to call upon any of my friends - Larry would not do this for free, and I'd have to go back to the community to ask for money. I might as well ask them to sign up for recreational dentistry. Really.

My plan C is the creation of the art from tools and resources that were fully legal for the purpose (remember, the end goal is to ensure that neither ourselves nor future admins would have any trouble about the legal use of any art used).

Disparage us all you like, this just demonstrates the thimble full of lore you possess, and the bucket full of loud opinion. NOTHING about your approach,  nor anything about your demonstrated limited comprehension of the basics leads me to want to accommodate such carping magpies. NOTHING.

In a sense I do them a great favor by NOT passing on the DOMAIN NAME, as the foxes know that location well, and the knob-headed work sure to result from the mapgpie contingent will be easy pickings. Better they get found by their own crop of foxes, and they will. If the old hen-house brand re-opens it will be done with responsible forethought and skill, lest the egg-consuming public become the unwitting victims.

FAIL is not in our toolkit, sadly neither is this sort of art. The need of the art remains, any interested in helping can contact me directly as has been the case for more than two years :

GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  GM_ODA Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:33 am

There you have it, the bioware thread is locked.

and fyi, it is likely that
Darkheyr
Member Since Today, 08:02 AM
Offline Last Active Today, 11:47 AM

Is a sock puppet.

The three who, rather than offering to help, insisted I give over (variously) Domain Name, IP and 'URL', are all mangers or associated with the management of competing servers.

Transparency huh?

GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  GM_ODA Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:56 am

What follows is henesua's private message to me demanding certain properties be given over to 'the community' - though I'm still not sure who died and made henesua 'the community'.

henesua wrote:
Sent 14 April 2015 - 10:20 PM

Ehye,
its time to transfer the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] URL registration to someone else in the community who is capable of doing the job. You've worked on it for years and failed to deliver. The URL is valuable to the community, and while it was admirable of you to try to save the site, it didn't work out. Kindly hand over the URL to someone else so that we can make use of it.

We don't need the data, or the code. Although the legacy data would be nice as well. All we need is the URL.

Since you have not been replying to your thread n this subject I came here to get your attention.

Please respond there and show some good faith.
thanks
henesua

Llyra PW in Alpha |----[-]--|--[-]----| House of the Magus

What follows next is my open reply to henesua.

Stop attacking me in public.

If you wish to discuss business, learn to do it in a business-like manner and in proper channels from the start. Public attacks upon me followed by private messages to me are likely to meet with rebuke.

You show no good faith yourself when you start with attacks and culminate in demands for the transfer of property in language that makes you look utterly amateur. Anyone with concern for NWC you would have made an inquiry in private first as to the status of the project.

Polite requests such as for LINKS are met properly and meritorious ones are awarded. Demands to hand over Domain Names, especially to someone who cannot seem to use the terminology correctly, is utterly out of the question.

We asked for help, we got no help from 'the community'. This slows us down, but we are not stopped utterly. Polite inquiries get polite responses, crazy demands from those of questionable competence gets my most staunch refusal.

You demonstrate that you do not know that IP is not something you transfer. You demonstrate that you do not know the difference between an URL and a Domain Name. Really, between that and the utter lack of concern you and your friends demonstrate for the users of NWC and their safety, I cannot in any way humor your demands.

Is that sufficiently non-obfuscatory for you Henesua?

BTW Henesua, I hope you find a new job soon and I hope it makes you happy, because the unhappy and unemployed you is pretty miserable to deal with.

GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Members PLEASE - if you must comment on this matter, do so in this thread. Empty Just Ran Across This

Post  Myrrath Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:41 pm

Looks like a bunch of political crap. Political crap worthy of being quite angry towards.
Myrrath
Myrrath
Posting Knave

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2012-12-28

Character sheet
Character Name: Fade Lianacia
Race: Elf
Overall Level: 12

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down