Neverwinter Nights Multiplayer Server 24x7 Now with NWN and NWN:EE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Server Is Being Updated

Go down

The Server Is Being Updated Empty The Server Is Being Updated

Friends,

Beamdog recently released a new version of NWN:EE. Also, Eriniel and I have had an update to the module waiting in the wings for a while - so, Eriniel has begun the update of the server. Bad news though, there was a bit of a snag involving the version of linux we use. THANK OUR LUCKY STARS we have Eriniel to attend to such matters of mysterious binary arcanum.

Please be patient as Eriniel casts some HEXadecimal on the problem and we will remove the password from the server as soon as we think it safe.

GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Male Number of posts : 3070
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Firkin Alechugger
Race: Dwarf
Overall Level: 11

https://web.archive.org/web/20151106073532/http://playnwn.com/

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

The Server Is Being Updated :: Comments

GM_ODA

Post Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:38 pm  GM_ODA

Friends,

Eriniel has been hard at work exploring the issues we discovered with this NWN:EE update.

LINUX is a lovely OS. There are many flavors of linux out there. The one we had been using since the opening of the server is CENT OS. CENT OS is a good linux flavor, but it has been a little slow to update some of the libraries it uses, particularly some C language libraries. One specific C language library has not been updated in CENT OS since 1010, and it turns out that the changes made in that library are essential to NWN:EE and our operation of NWN:EE by means of external calls. In short, NWN:EE is not hearing the commands we are issuing and we need to change the OS to address the problem.

I am reviewing the options and IF this is feasible, it will be a few days before we undertake this action - I am still parsing the data. I will add to this thread in the next 48 hours as I get a better grasp of the situation.

EVERYONE, please take a moment to THANK OUR AWESOME TECH LEAD AND LEAD SCRIPTER ERINIEL. Her totally top-drawer lore is what carries the day for us, and that is no mean feat.

Back to top Go down

GM_ODA

Post Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:57 pm  GM_ODA

Friends,

Eriniel and I are hammering out a plan to achieve the goal of supporting NWN and NWN:EE on our server. Alas, as mentioned above our OS needs replacing. Eriniel is preparing instructions for me to create more complete backups of all the essential files from our NWN/NWNEE operations. Once that is done, we'll be swapping out the OS for a different linux. AND until then, we are running NWN and NWN:EE (albeit NWN:EE is from two versions back). If anyone needs help reverting, just ask I can walk you through this - send me a PM. This will only be a few days (likely 2-3 days, so we may be back and running as early as Wednesday with the most recent NWN:EE installed), but that's the best we can do for you.

Again KUDOS TO ERINIEL she is The Most Awesome Tech. [full stop] cheers bounce cheers bounce cheers

Back to top Go down

GM_ODA

Post Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:46 pm  GM_ODA

Friends,

Eriniel and I have been working on this all day.

We had the physical server shut down and before the new OS could be installed, some hardware was discovered in it that was incompatible with the new version of linux... so the company swapped those parts out free of charge. THIS is a huge benefit of leasing a server, the parts are always on hand and installed in minutes. The new OS was installed after this, and then we had to start the long job of uploading files (uploads are always slower than downloads).

That's where I'm at right now, shepherding 1's and 0's up to the server. Eriniel, it now being past 3 in the am for her, is sleeping. We will resume this task first thing in the morning and it looks like we are soon to crest the hill. You should be able to login to the server sometime tomorrow.

THANK YOU ALL for your patience, for your ongoing support and your friendship.

I look forward to seeing you all again on the server very very soon.

Back to top Go down

GM_ODA

Post Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:36 am  GM_ODA

Friends,

Eriniel is purely AWESOME! I really did not expect it to be done as the hour was LATE and we had put in long days already. I told her to get some sleep, that the last files to upload would take a couple hours. But like the cobblers' elves, she was in the workshop whilst I slept. At about 11:30 pm Eastern Standard Time, she sent me a PM telling me the servers are online.  Twisted Evil

BOTH servers are online now.

Later today, we will do one last task - update the NWN:EE server software to the latest version.

Be sure to HUG your favorite IT person today!!! Here's a hint, that would be Eriniel.  Very Happy

I look forward to seeing you all on the server very soon.

PLEASE NOTE THE NEW IP ADDRESS!

96.31.77.125 for the NWN server, and 96.31.77.125:5125 for the NWN:EE server.

Back to top Go down

GM_ODA

Post Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:46 am  GM_ODA

WOW.

Everyone - Eriniel has updated the server. It was a gargantuan effort and we're still sorting out details but, I am here to say:

ta DA!

Everyone be sure to thank Eriniel for her awesome tech support!   cheers bounce cheers bounce cheers

Back to top Go down

Post   Sponsored content

Back to top Go down