Neverwinter Nights Multiplayer Server 24x7 Now with NWN and NWN:EE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dark Cloud/Silver Lining

Go down

Dark Cloud/Silver Lining Empty Dark Cloud/Silver Lining

Post  Animayhem Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:00 pm

An ornate book catches your eye in the Dorhal Library. The image and title intrigue you.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

You open the book and see elegant script.
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Number of posts : 2213
Registration date : 2010-07-11

Character sheet
Character Name: Charia/Arys
Race: Half-Elf
Overall Level: 30/30

Back to top Go down

Dark Cloud/Silver Lining Empty Introduction

Post  Animayhem Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:06 pm

Introduction

To whom ever is reading this book. Contained within is a narration of a recent event which happened in the area surrounding the Tivook Inn. Though of recent occurrence, it is fact a reincarnation of events over one thousand years old. It is a tale of Darkness and Light, of Love and Hate of Two Souls drawn together, yet torn apart.
My name is Charia, I am a priestess of Rhenallathan , I have been charged by my temple and asked by the city to record what transpired. I will try and be as accurate as I can, but I am not a bard. You may ask why someone like myself was asked to write about such an event . I shall tell you gentle reader, for you see I was the one who brought the darkness.

Last edited by Animayhem on Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Dark Cloud/Silver Lining Empty Chapter One: A Tale of Two Sisters

Post  Animayhem Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:48 am

The Temple of Rhenallathan, fifteen hundred years ago. It is more active then present day. An elder reviewing an old tome looks over at the two Elven sisters.
The older is an exceptional initiate, studious and will make a good high priestess while the younger seems in earnest, yet restless. Closing the tome he calls
the sisters over. “ Eruanna and Rhavaniel come to me please.” The sisters immediately come to the elder. He smiles as they approach.

“ Eruanna, you are progressing well and will be eligible to take the final test to advance to high priestess. Rhavaniel, you too show promise, however I feel it
is time for you to go out in the world and minister to the people and spread the word of Rhenallathan. You will concentrate your efforts in Tivook and the surrounding villages. Arrangements have been made for you to have a room at the inn there. Have either of you any questions?”

Eruanna shows concern and is the first to speak,“Elder do you really think she is ready?” Before the elder can respond, Rhavaniel responds,
“ Sister I am more then ready. I am anxious to meet people and spread the word.” Realizing she has been out voted, reluctantly Eruanna agrees with the elder.
Rhavaniel eagerly leaves the temple and begins her mission on earnest.

She eagerly spreads the word and aids those who need it. She is quite pleased that people seem to listen to her and accept her words. Things were going well until
Rhavaniel heard of a child possibly injured and trapped in a cave near the inn. She goes towards the cave to investigate.

Two months have past and the elder and Eruanna have not heard from Rhavaniel. The elder gravely concerned, calls Eruanna to him.

“ My child, I fear I may have made a grave error in sending your sister to Tivook.” He gives her the tome he has been reading. Eruanna read a few pages and her eyes go wide in shock and panic sets in. The elder sees her shock and concern and responds, “ I need you to go and check on your sister and I pray what is in this tome has not come to pass.”

Bowing to the elder before leaving, Eruanna heads to Tivook as quickly as she can. She says a silent prayer,
“Rhenallathan, please protect my sister.”

Last edited by Animayhem on Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Dark Cloud/Silver Lining Empty Re: Dark Cloud/Silver Lining

Post  Animayhem Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:36 am

Chapter Two-The Nightmare Begins

Euranna arrives at Tivook with a deep foreboding. She enters the inn and walks to the innkeeper. She gets a spare key to her sisters room to freshen up.
A few moments later she comes down the steps and notices man sitting in a corner nursing a drink looking at her. She looks at him once then returns to the inn keeper and speaks, " How is my sister? Has she been about recently?" The innkeeper hands her the tray with the food and drink she ordered and then responds " She seems to be spending more time away from the inn and more time in the cave not far from here as well as walking about talking about a better world." A bit unnerved by his words Euranna takes the tray and heads for a table, as she does the man in the corner looks over and speaks in a mannerism and tone of one who likes to know but stays low key. " I thought ye looked familiar , ye look like ye sister. The ‘keeper bes right as she been stayin’ away. If ye like to know more..." He finished his drink and looks at Euranna again.

Euranna looks at the man, she knows he is trying to blackmail her into revealing more. Normally she would ignore such ilk, but her sister’s welfare was foremost on her mind. She calls the server and gives him some money, " A jug of whatever that man is having." The server nods and quickly returns setting the tray at Euranna’ s table. "Please sir come and sit, tell me of what you know." The man flashes grin and eagerly joins her pouring the ale and filling his mug. He takes a long pull and begins, " It bes like this ya see, yer sister she come full of energy and vigor. A delight to the eys too, iffin’ ye get me meaning." The man laughs a bit and Euranna wrinkles her nose in disgust at the smell of the liquor, but keeps her composure and lets him continue.

The man takes another swig and continues. "Tings were going well, da people liked ‘er. Then about two weeks ago tings changed when a young woman ran up to her saying her daughter was injured in the cave near by. Yer sister followed the woman into the cave and told those who were with her to stay outside. Time passed and yer sister came back out but alone saying the mother and daughter left another way but were fine. Yet by wot da people were sayin’, yer sister did not look all to well." The man stops and takes another long pull obviously enjoying keeping Euranna on the edge of her seat all the while Euranna trying to keep a neutral look. Smirking at her discomfort he continues, " Well den, since dat time yer sister was spending more time in the cave then outside. When she did come out she started to speak strangely of a better world and life to be offered. Now I not be too up on wot god is wot but what she was preaching was not of yer god goin by wot she said when she first came. Dat bes all I knows, but ah, if you wantin’ another eye bout."
The man smiles widely showing a few teeth missing and is breath foul with drink. Waving her hand in front of her nose she replies, "Thank-you I may consider it. Now how far is this cave?" As if to spare the poor priestess, the innkeeper speaks up, " Not far Priestess, just go past the barn a bit and down the slope. Though be careful sometimes trogs are about."

The priestess stands, "Thank-you gentlemen." She rises, goes upstairs and a few moments later, comes back down in her holy armor and staff and proceeds towards the cave, her heart heavy and full of dread.
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Sun May 19, 2013 2:34 pm

Chapter 3 -Fall from Grace

Euranna arrives at the cave and mindful of bats and other creatures which may reside, she treads her way carefully. Unsure of which way to go, she follows the path which shows some signs the people were here. A sense of desperation grips her briefly and she calls out her sisters name, "Rhavaniel! Rhavaniel!, Please answer me! It is I, Euranna!" The priestess is greeted by the flapping of bat wings.
Undaunted by this aspect, she continues following the scorch marks of old fires and extinguished torches. As she approaches a fork in the cave, she senses an evil influence, faint but distinct. Shortly afterwards she hears a cold maniacal laugh which sends a chill up her spine. She quickly draws out her blade in defense, however it is not her body which is attacked, but her mind. The voice is deep, dark but has seductive quality,
"So Priestess, seek your sister? You wish her returned?" A low deep rumbling laugh. "It is too late, she is mine and through her as my Priestess I will once again be out in the world, in My world of My creation. Already thanks to her my followers are steadily increasing content with the worlds I have made."
Shaken at what has been said Euranna regains her composure and speaks, " I will get my sister back fiend. We know what you really are, You were defeated once by Rhenallathan and you will be again. I will have my sister back and the people you enslaved returned to their real lives!"
Again the deep rumbling laugh and then the voice, " Such fire and passion Priestess. So like your sister, you too could join My priesthood. To show you that you have indeed lost, I will let you see your sister and will send a guide. By the way, your sister’s fire and passion is not limited to her preaching."Another cold chuckle and the presence leaves her mind.
Overwhelmed by what she experienced, Euranna, takes out the symbol of Rhenallathan and clutching it firmly prays fervently,
"Rhenallathan, give me strength. Help me return my sister to you and to save these innocents." Her prayer is met with silence but for a brief moment the symbol radiates with blinding light before returning to normal.
As she stands and puts the symbol back in her back, she hears soft footfalls. She looks over and sees a young girl and the girl speaks in a voice soft and angelic, " Are you Lady Euranna?" Smiling Euranna replies, " Yes I am child." The little girl smiles and replies, " Follow me." The girl skips along and Euranna follows and as she does she sees various people with blank expressions yet content. Seeming oblivious to where they were. They approach a passage which seems to radiate a strange aura. The girl looks to Euranna, " The Priestess is inside." Smiling the girl skips away leaving Euranna.
Euranna enters the passage and is unprepared for what she sees. The chamber radiates with unnatural myriad colors. The chamber is richly appointed with all the luxuries one could want. Towards the back of the chamber is the altar as well as an obelisk. However the image which shocked her the most was seeing Rhavaniel.Rhavaniel was dressed in colors of the Void, her long hair and clothes were styled more attune to a slave girl than a priestess. Next to her was the most handsome elf Euranna had ever seen. His pale white face was framed with luxurious black long hair done in the elven royalty style, his eyes were dark and brooding. His bared chest broad and well muscled and like her sister he was barely clothed and his arm was around Rhavaniel’s waist. His smile seductive.
"Welcome dear sister. Welcome to the future and world of the one true god."
Rhavaniel’s voice brought Euranna back to her senses. She turns ro her sister, in a voice trying to radiate confidence but barely so, "Rhavaniel, surely you can not mean this? Look about you, this is not real. It is just illusion, a lie. Come back to the light. Return with me to the Temple and see the error of your choice."
With a scornful laugh, Rhavaniel responds, " Error? I think not dear sister.It is you who have made the error of choosing such a sterile life, a life of isolation.I never felt I belonged and you were always the high one’s favorite. Unlike you, I have tasted and experienced what life has to offer, what Void has to offer and I choose to stay as His priestess and to bring more followers to Him." Having finished, Rhavaniel laid her head on the elf’s chest, her eyes never leaving Euranna’s. The elf gave a smirk of satisfaction pulling Rhavaniel close.
Angry and confused, Euranna barely regains her composure but does and in her best Priestess voice she responds looking at the elf rather than her sister,
" This is not over evil one. I will return with an army if need be and I will redeem my sister and return you to the darkness where you belong! "
Euranna’s words are only met with silence and a look of smug victory on the elf’s face. She races out of the caves all the while hearing the dark laughter. Before she exits, she hears his voice in her mind, " Yes go and bring your ‘army’ they will fail. Your sister is mine. In fact, join us. The idea of having sisters well...." The voice leaves her mind and one last evil chuckle is heard as she leaves.
Having returned to the inn, she goes up to her sisters room to try and get some rest before returning to the temple. Her attempts are in vain as every time she closes her eyes she sees the elf and has unsettling thoughts. She quickly gathers all her belongings and heads down stairs toward the inn keeper. Her face drawn pale and tired. The innkeeper notices this and in a concerned voice replies,
" Are you all right Priestess?" Smiling weekly she replies, " Yes I am. Here is the money to finish out the month. My sister will not be returning here."
The innkeeper nods and takes the coin. Euranna goes to the stable, saddles her horse and speeds towards the temple. She arrives being met by acolytes who take her horse. She ascends the cliff to the temple and looks about for the elder.
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Sun May 19, 2013 2:38 pm

Chapter Four -Eternal Darkness

The elder looks up from his book and notices Euranna and rises to meet her. In a move uncharacteristic of Euranna, she embraces the elder much as a child a father.The elder a bit taken back does not object and holds her to him feeling her body shaking and her warm tears on his tunic. After what seems like an eternity, Euranna stops and realizing where she is, she releases her hold on the elder. A bit embarrassed she speaks, " Forgive me Elder." Smiling in a paternal manner, the elder responds, " It is all right my child. Tell me what has put you in such a state?" He signals an acolyte to bring over some wine. He hands a glass to Euranna. "Here my daughter drink this and then tell me your trouble."Her hand still trembling, Euranna takes the wine and drinks. " Thank-you Elder. It is worse than I feared. Rhavaniel has become the Priestess of the Void and has given her body and soul to him. His number of worshipers is growing due Rhavaniel’s preaching. If we do not act quickly...." She finishes and downs the rest of the wine in one gulp. Frowning the elder speaks,

"We felt its power growing. Although through the grace of Rhenallathan he was defeated once, it was decided we would need some other clerics as well."

Turning to the other clerics assembled, " The time has come, go to your temples and gather what forces you can and meet at the Tivook inn." Returning his attention to Euranna in a soft but firm voice he speaks, " My daughter, you are about to face what my be the hardest test of your faith. We will try and save your sister and others but if they can not be turned, then we will do what we have to make sure the Void stays where it is. Do you understand?"

Euranna listens carefully to the weight of the words spoken and responds, "Yes Elder I do and I will not fail Rhenallathan or you." Bowing her head in respect to the elder, Euranna goes to the altar and prays, "Rhenallathan give me strength. I am and always will be your servant however Rhavaniel is my family, what is left of my family. If I need to lose her forever, give me the strength to carry out Your will." Wiping away a tear, Euranna rises from the altar, prepares herself and joins the Elder and other Rhenallathan clerics and they proceed to Tivook inn.

The forces of light gathered upon the hill overlooking the cave. Euranna explained the situation to those gathered and then they headed in. Unlike the last time, the people in the cave were not unaware and in their own worlds but were garbed a soldiers of the Void. The clerics tried in vain to persuade the people to return but they refused battling all the way up to the inner sanctum. There the remaining followers and Rhavaniel stood defiant with the Void’s symbol held high radiating the evil that was Void. Voids voice could be heard through Rhavaniel, "You pathetic fools! You think you can defeat me? I am Void, I am a God. I am he who never was ,who shall never be."

The elder of Rhenallathan spoke, "Regrettably, you have left us no choice." The clerics assembled utter the dreaded spells, the sister’s looked briefly at each otherthen there was silence and then oblivion. Heavy hearts left the eerily silent cavern. Once outside, the Elder of Rhenallathan spoke, "Thank-you clerics of faith. It was regrettable but a necessary action taken here. Let us pray such action will not be needed again." Those assembled nodded in agreement with the elder’s words and left their separate ways. During his speech, no one noticed a figure leaving the cave with a bundle in a blanket.

Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:09 pm

Chapter Five- Honored Secrets

Euranna arrived at an empty temple. She knew that the others were probably still at the inn discussing the event but her time was short. Should they come back
and discover what she had done, there would be hells to pay. Euranna carefully carried the bundle with reference inside the temple.   She opened it and was sickened and sadden by what she saw. She laid the body on a clean sheet. She stripped it and cleaned it as best she could. The body was  then donned in the simple robes of an acolyte of Rhenallathan. Euranna carefully picked up the body and left the temple and walked to a wall where the stream vanished into.  She carefully set the body down and applied pressure to secret indentations and the wall opened. She lifted the body and carried it inside, the wall closing just as she set foot on the cold stone floor
As she looked about the cave, she saw a small alcove with a long flat rock protruding from the wall. She thinks to herself, "That will have to do."
She lays the body on the stone slab and begins to gather loose stones to build the cairn. As she builds th cairn she remembers when she and Rhavaniel accidently found this place whilst exploring the Tivook caves when younger. As children,especially as siblings do, they decided that this would be their secret place. Over the years Rhavaniel lost interest but not Euranna. She made carefully study, especially of the obelisk and the people who built it. Having place the last stone she stands and looks about.
    Euranna walks over to the glowing obelisk and takes a parchment from her pocket and opens it comparing it to the writing on the obelisk, Satisfied, she spies a large piece of the obelisk left over , picks it up and carries over to the cairn. She arranges the stones so the obelisk slab would fit securely. Once  completed, Euranna removes the parchment from her pocket and the symbol of Rhenallathan and begins to read. As she does, the stone takes a glow and melds into the surrounding stone forming an invisible seal. Taking scraps of wood she found strewn on the floor, she builds a fire and burns the parchment. She returns to the outside and gathers a small variety of flowers noting that the clergy have not returned yet.

She goes back in and lays flowers amongst the ashes of the extinguished fire. Looking once more at the memorial, Euranna speaks not knowing or caring if anyone can hear.

"Rhavaniel, forgive me, I only did what any one would do for family.You would have probably wished to stay with the others but you were my sister and of Rhenallathan before the darkness. I committed a transgression against Rhenallathan and the faith by taking you away. I never expected to outlive you. You should of had a proper send off. I guess one small consolation, is that your grave is located in an aspect of the caves of where you died. I do not know how often I will be able to visit, but I will try."   

She walks over to the obelisk after she is finished.
"To those who went before, I promise I will not let your sacrifice be in vain.I will attempt to fight the darkness all the rest of my days." She quickly exits and returns to the temple hoping not to be spotted.

It is now thirty years past present day. In a small village, in the Feyview woods, another secret is about to unfold.

"Quickly, her time draws near." The woman is in labor and the midwives are quite concerned. " What was she thinking of consorting with them. She may not even survive.
Should not a cleric of her faith be here just in case?" No sooner had the words left the midwife’s lips then another voice was heard. The woman turned around and saw the priestess there.

" Do not worry, I am here. I sense this child born may have a great purpose." The priestess thinks to herself, " Yes ,mayhap they will succeed where I have failed. Thurilostel, you were most promising of my paladins, mayhap you can yet be of use."

Thurilostel gives one cry of pain and her child is born, it is a girl. After cleaning the child and mother, the baby is placed in the mother’s arms. Obvious weak from her ordeal, Thurilostel looks down and smiles at her nursing daughter. She then looks at those around her and then speaks.

" Praise Rhenallathan, my child is healthy. In His name I shall call her Hethurin." Some have odd expressions on their faces but the village elder , having entered the home in time to hear the pronouncement speaks. " The name is quite fitting." Walking towards the mother and child he smiles and says, "Welcome , Hethurin may you live long, be strong and be a productive member of the clan." He then turns and takes his leave, the others soon follow allowing mother and child to bond and rest.

Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:48 am

Chapter Six

Hand of Fate

Three months have passed since Hethurin was born and it was time to officially present her to Rhenallathan’s Temple. During the three months ,fey had come to visit their little kin though not her father. This fact saddened Thurilostel somewhat but she took it in stride. She looked down on her daughter sleeping peacefully. She had the lighter coloring of the Moonelves with the pale blue skin and white hair. Although not apparent when she was born Hethurin had to small horn hubs so far the only indication of her Slyvan side.

Thurilostel approaches the temple with a sudden sense of dread however she quickly brushes it aside as sh ascends the stairs seeing the Euranna , the elders and another the young newly appointed head priest of Deeproot. She had often stopped at Deeproot’s temple on her way to the city. The high elder smiles as Thurilostel hands Hethurin to him noting the child’s Sylvan features though he also feels a strong presence of Rhenallathan and a light within.

" Daughter, you have named this child Hethurin a fitting name considering her bloodline, however I sense this child is highly favored with Rhenallathan, thus the name Hethurin will not do for a future priestess of this temple."

A look of panic and sorrow appear on Thurilostel face, her body trembling slightly.   She quickly composed her self then spoke,

“Priestess, favored of Rhenallathan?  I am her mother and surely have I not the right to name her?”

Euranna having stood slightly behind the elders, felt a sense of self satisfaction at the high elder’s remark. Being a pure elf , the notion of elves breeding outside
the race was something not to be done.  Had the child’s father maybe have been a human but a satyr, a slyvan was well something not spoken of.  Opposite Euranna, was the young priest of Deeproot who could see the distress Thurilostel was in and made a move to go to her but was stopped when the high elder raised his hand.

The high elder spoke in a firm yet not uncaring tone.

“ Daughter, yes and her name shall be as its meaning private and secret. From this day forward her new and public name will be Charia which means one who walk’s the God’s path.”

Slight gasps of surprise escaped the mouth’s of those present even Euranna’s. Thurilostel’s heart pounded in her chest and her mind thought “ Fate or no I will not deny her the knowledge of her Fey heritage. I will return Hethurin to my village and instruct them to do so then return and go on this next mission.”

Thurilostel bows her head and walks to the high elder, “ I am honored by the blessing you bestowed upon my daughter.  I would like to return with her to the village before I accompany the priestess and others on our next mission.”  She extends her arms to receive her daughter.  Euranna sensing her one chance to avenge her sister may leave her grasp, steps forward and speaks before the high elder can move.

“ By your leave high one, as you know our mission is of great import and our time limited if we are to act swiftly.  Charia will be safe here until we return.”

Thurilostel's heart sank and gave a pleading look to the high elder, who looked at her and then to Euranna and then back to her.

“ Euranna, there is merit to your words.  Thurilostel, I can understand your fears but Charia will be well taken care of and your separation from her I pray to Rhenallathan will not be long.”

A smug look of victory was displayed on Euranna’s face for Thurilostel to see. The priest of Deeproot also had a sense of dread but as always seemed to keep an aura of calm about him. Smiling warmly he looks at the young mother and then back to the high elder and in a voice radiating warmth speaks,

“I will stay and help watch over the child, we at Deeproot’s temple have had some experience in these matters.”

A glimmer of hope sparked inside of Thurilostel, at least he was of nature so some sense of her heritage Hethurin would be exposed to. She looks to the high elder and awaits is response. The high elder turns and acknowledge’s the priest,

“ Your aid and presence would be most welcome Father.”  He then turns to Euranna.  “ Gather your warriors and may Rhenallathan bring you all back safely.”  Having finished, the high elder gives Charia to the priest of Deeproot and he and his people prepare to leave.      During this time Thurilostel took out quill and parchment and quickly wrote a letter, sealed it and walked over to the Priest of Deeproot and handed it to him.  The priest took the note and looked on the front on which was written, “ To be given to her when she has completed her sixteenth year of training.”

Thurilostel took one more look at her child and went over to her sister paladins to prepare. As she approached them, her closest friend, a human woman named Nessa, came over and hugged her deeply and whispered to her,    “ Do not worry, we will have you two reunited soon.”    Thurilostel returned the hug and then released her and stood by the others. Euranna approached in her gear, an air of confidence about her.

“The time has come to end this once and for all!”  Most gathered cheered loudly all but Thurilostel who only was able to mouth the words silently.

They quickly reached their objective, the shadow counterpart of Tivook. However disaster struck as the time opening between the planes was miscalculated. Battling their way back through the shadow creatures, they approached the exit. As they entered, they could hear a deep malevolent laughter and then were enveloped in darkness only to find they had been transported back to Feyview at the foot of the path they needed to climb.  Weary and in shock , it took a moment for them to realize where they were.  In a curled up ball, one of the women was shaking and mumbling incoherently,   “Dragons... black... flying... claws... shadows...”  She fell silent, still shaking and drool running down her mouth.     Euranna been to the shadow plane more than once, recovered quickly. She reviewed those who were with her.  She looked about, she did not see Nessa or Thurilostel.  She dropped to her knees, head in her hands and mumbled as to make it seem she was giving a prayer of thanksgiving.

“Rhenallathan, I have failed again. Why must it be so?”

She rises and walks over to the one curled in a ball, as she approaches, the woman uncurls herself and like a frightened animal runs away. Cursing herself again she walks over to the others and they ascend to the temple and a met by the acolytes who see to their needs. Euranna waves them away and heads inside the temple where the priest of Deeproot was with Charia and some elders who stayed. They all turn to her as she approaches, Charia having been sleeping peaceful suddenly gave out a high pitched wail of distress which brought everyone to their senses. In a voice weak but with still some strength, Euranna addresses those assembled.

“Once again victory was snatched from our hands. Out of those of us who returned, one fled in panic into the forest, one of our newer recruits. However, two did not return.”  She pauses obviously shaken but continues softly. “ We lost Nessa and Thurilostel.”  Her strength, finally having left her she slumps down onto the floor. After a few moments, the priest of Deeproot speaks, his voice warm and rich,

“Thurilostel, is the name of this child’s mother?”    The priestess nods and the priest continues.   “ Then, I will gladly return the child to her mother’s village and give them the news.”  

Euranna immediately becomes more alert and speaks,

“We will raise her here. You heard the high one, she is favored with Rhenallathan. We too have had experience with children, Why. I myself virtually raised my sister Rhavaniel alone and here in the temple.   Your presence and opinions are not unwelcome Father, but her mother is of the temple as is her daughter.”

The priest thinks on the priestess’s words while looking down at Charia who seems to have taken a liking to him. He smiles at her then looks to the priestess,

“Of your ability to do so priestess, I do not doubt. However she is only three months old and indeed consecrated to your temple. She can always be returned for formal study at a more appropriate age.  She should be around her family and other children.  Her village is not that far and surely they would not mind  you or any of the other priests visiting.”  He returns his attention to the child in his arms who fell asleep.

Euranna bites her lip and looks about as she sees the others nod in silent agreement with the priest. She thinks to herself , “ I can not lose her. I will not make the same mistakes I did with Rhavaniel.”  She stands erect though obviously still weak from the failed mission.

“With respect to the elders and you father, as within my rights as the new high priestess of the temple the child will stay and be raised here.  She will be able to play with children as many are sent here with offerings.”

The elders talk amongst themselves and then look at the priest with the child in his arms and then to Euranna standing erect and proud.  The most senior of the elders steps forward and speaks.

“ We can see both of you have nothing but what you feel the best interests for this child.” He then turns to the priest. “ Father, your points have merit but as Euranna mentioned, when we leave she will be in charge of running the temple. I am sure however, you would be allowed to visit Charia when your duties permit. “ He then looks to Euranna.  “ Will this be acceptable Euranna?”   Trying to hide the extreme pride and elven arrogance of being right she responds,

“ Yes, elder that would acceptable.  The priest is always welcomed here.”  

The elder nods and then turns to the others.  “ Come, it is time we returned. Euranna we have placed this child’s fate in your hands. We will be watching.”  He then walks over to the priest and lays a hand gently on his shoulder.

“ Father, as always you and your fellows are always welcomed as we consider you a brothers in faith and Deeproot a brother to Rhenallathan.  Go in peace.” Dipping his head in respect he responds,

“Thank-you elder and you as well.”   Reluctantly but with a warm smile radiating from his face, he hands the child over to Euranna. However he decides to keep the letter from Thurilostel and will bring it at a later time. Although outwardly calm, the priest can not  help but worry.

Faraway, in a forgotten place, underneath the Tivook inn if one listened closely one would hear a clock, a bell, the sound of clashing steel and a deep dark laughter.
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:37 pm

Chapter Seven -Interlude

A long time had past since that dark day, Yet it seemed to those who could read the signs that the peace which had lasted so long was about to be broken.

Far away yet not, forces were gathering to bring light and dark together.

One who was lost returned but yet vanished again leaving behind one they loved dearly to save them. However unknown to them both, the darkness followed. While the woman and child escaped, the darkness returned to the place it was once banished. As it watched them leave it laughed to itself and said quietly,

" Well done little paladin. You may have escaped me but your child...."

The woman settled herself and the child. Nessa, once of Rhenallathan was now a woman afraid. She stayed briefly with her son then one night while the child slept, she kissed him on the cheek and fled, praying that any vengeance would fall on her. The child awoke, frantic and scared and called for her. Left alone, although afraid, he watched and learned and grew into a young man. Uncertain about himself or his future, continually looking over his shoulders surviving as best he could in the strange land his mother brought at the peril of her life. The young man’s name was Ne’sekoleth, born from darkness.

At the same time, Charia grew in beauty and wisdom full of the light and favor of her god. She too, like the young man was restless yet not out of fear but out of longing. Longing to see more of the world and people. All the while the priestess watched Charia as she played with the Fey and could see almost the same look in Charia’s eyes as her sister did long ago. A sudden feeling of dread came over Euranna and a chill crept up her spine.

The priest of Deeproot also read the signs and felt a disturbance. He went into his home and opened a box and carefully took out letter he kept safe for all these years. It was time to honor a promise to one no longer here. Carefully putting it in a pouch and gathering his cloak around him he headed to Rhenallathan’s temple and to Charia.

As always, Charia’s face lit up whenever she saw the priest. She ran and gave him a hug as she always did since she was little. The priest smiled warmly and hugged her back. After some moments, they separated and the priest spoke,

" My child you have indeed grown strong in your faith and wisdom. Come with me I think it is time you know more of your past."

They walk away from the temple and go near the waterfall. Carefully the priest reaches into his pouch and hands Charia the letter he was given all those years ago. Seeing Charia’s confused look as she accepts the letter, the priest smiles warmly. "There is nothing to fear Charia, it is from your mother, written before she went on the crusade. I will be near if you have an questions."

Nodding, Charia walks over to a tree, sits down and carefully opens the letter, which is written in Elven.

(~)Charia,

I regret I am not with you to watch you grow, but you are always on my mind and in my heart. I knew from the time you were born you were something special. You are part moonelf and part satyr, so part fey and thus the reason for your horns. Your father and I did not stay together and after you were born he left as is the nature of fey. I tried my best but I felt I could not be the parent you needed so as a follower of Rhenallathan myself, I entrusted your care to them. I do believe however the fey are also keeping an eye on you. Mayhap one day I will have the courage to see you again. I hope you can forgive me, dearest Charia. Your name was changed to protect you, your name of birth is

Hethurin.

Love,

Your mother,

Thurilostel"(~)

A tear rolls down Charia's cheek and she holds the letter close to her heart .After some moments, she composes herself and walks over to the priest.

"Father, is this true? She left me willing?" , her voice was soft almost as if a child again.The priest felt for her and thought for some time before he replied.

"Yes my child she did. She would have preferred you dwell in her village and raised there while attend study here. I supported her but a vote was taken and it was decided your name would be changed and you would be raised in the temple as you were and are highly favored with Rhenallathan.

She left along with others including the priestess on a holy crusade to extinguish darkness however she and one other did not return. They went to another plane however when they returned the planes realigned thus preventing a search. However the priestess knows more ask her whether or not she will tell you is up to her. I do think however its is time that you learn of the world outside this place. Tivook is close and would be a good place to start. Do you think you are ready my child?"

Charia’s attention and focus was on the priest as he spoke. Her thoughts were in turmoil. Her mother lost, her father fey, a satyr no less well better than a demon. Her name changed, isolated from her mother’s village. She briefly looked over towards the direction of the priestess and then back to the letter. Charia carefully folded it and placed it lovingly in a pouch. As she did, she made a solemn and silent vow.

" I swear by Rhenallathan I will find you and bring you back."

Empowered by a new sense of purpose and air of confidence, Charia walked over to the priest.

" Yes Father, I feel I am ready."

As Charia and the priest were approaching her Euranna had a sense of dread yet did not let show. The priest stopped half way on the ramp while Charia went to the priestess. Her voice was respectful yet firm and full of purpose.

" Priestess, it is with the greatest respect and humility I ask this. I feel I am ready to see the world and speak in Rhenallathan’s name.

The Father suggested I start in Tivook as it is not that far. Already other initiates have already left and many have not studied as long as I have."

The priest smiled as Charia spoke though his eyes were on Euranna. Euranna listened as Charia spoke. Her thoughts racing she knew Charia was right yet the past haunted her. Taking a deep breath she replied,

" Charia, yes it is true others are already out in the world but they are not as favored as you are so need to prove themselves more worthy. Yes you have worked long and hard and have advanced further than the others, however you have the potential to replace me one day or even become an elder."

Charia clenched her fists as the priestess spoke although she did not say it outright, Charia knew it was a denial of her request. She turned and looked at the priest with hope. The priest looked at Euranna and then to Charia and back to Euranna. He knew he was a respected ally of this temple but it was not his.

He also knew that if you cage something for too long it will try at any cost to escape. With calm resolve, he walked up and stood next to Charia and looked Euranna in the eye and spoke. 

" Priestess we have known each other for a long time. We have both looked after Charia since she was three months old. She has grown into a young woman mature and much wiser than one of her age. Those who have visited her at the temple are drawn to her warmth and strength, to keep her here would be like preventing a flower from the sun. I only wish I had someone like her in my temple. " Softly and warmly he addressed the priestess by her name before continuing.

"Euranna, Charia is not a plant or a animal to be kept caged up.Granted the temple and grounds are open, but no matter how attractive a cage is still a cage. I trust Charia to make the right choices after all she was raised in the Temple." Having finished, he smiled warmly and Charia and took her hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze.

Euranna realized she had no true cause to keep her. She looked at Charia and indeed Charia was more mature than her sister Rhavaniel was. She also knew that Charia given her heritage could have left without giving notice. Euranna looked at the priest. He had been a true friend and almost a father to Charia and was well respected in his own right. Despite the dread which haunted her, Euranna decided to give Charia her freedom. Smiling warmly to both she speaks,

"Father, indeed we have known each other for a long time. Many seek you for your guidance and wisdom, even those not of your temple. Charia, I will allow you to leave and go to Tivook as the good priest suggested. However I would want at least a monthly report ."

Charia, with a huge smile on her face, bowed in deep respect to the priestess and then turned and suddenly hugged the priest, catching him off guard. As she hugged him she whispered in his ear, "Thank -you." The priest held Charia for a moment then released her and took his leave. Charia almost ran down the ramp and into the temple to prepare for her journey into the real world. She waved to all before descending the cliff to face the unknown.

After Charia was gone, Euranna turned and knelt at the altar trying to seek solace and reconcile her feelings.

On the outskirts near Tivook in a man is running for his life.

In a long forgotten area of cave near Tivook, something awoke and laughed evily.
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Dark Cloud/Silver Lining Empty Chapter Eight - Chance Encounter

Post  Animayhem Mon May 19, 2014 5:36 pm

Ne’sekoleth, still remembered his mother’s advice even though she had been gone for a few years.  She always told him stay hidden from the people as they would look upon him in fear and may even try to kill him.  He had made it a habit to hunt at night or early morning before the humans would stir. Mostly concentrating on the deer and bear about in the woods. However lately he seemed to get a restlessness about him. Maybe he remembered the tales his mother told him of the outside and the temple.

Today was different, he had determined to try and make it to his mother’s temple and find out more of the world.  He knew however he would need to hunt before going it was still early in the morning, just enough light to see but yet the sun not yet up.  He has always kept a distance from the farmers and would often watch them never approaching.  As he was starting to leave, he noticed on of the farmer’s chickens had escaped, he decided it would be easy enough to catch and since he did not go near the farm, he was not stealing.  His mother had taught him that was a bad thing.  However he would learn a valuable lesson about human behavior.  Ne’sekoleth quickly bent down and scooped up the chicken, however , he forgot to put his claw on the beak to keep it  quiet. The bird made a hideous racket alerting some of the farmers who were already up.  Shouts of panic could be heard,

“A monster, a demon is attacking!  Get the torches and pitchforks!” 

For what seemed like an eternity, Ne’sekoleth was frozen in place, as between the noise of the chicken and the farmers overwhelmed his keen hearing. After a few moments, he dropped the chicken and ran as fast as he could in the opposite direction of the pursuing farmers forgetting his original idea.  Trying to stay off the main path he ran carefully full the wilderness.  He finally arrived near the barn of Tivook Inn.  He took a moment to look behind  him and seeing no more pursuers he decided to rest behind the tree.

Charia had scaled the cliff down from her temple successfully and whistled for her horse whom the fey kept stabled for her.  After the horse arrived, she loaded its saddle bags, got into the saddle and rode to Tivook.  The priestess had given her directions and Charia made it safely to the hollow tree. She felt odd riding into it but it was what the priestess told her to do.  Charia entered and after a few moments found herself in the middle of  Deeproot’s temple.  Her sudden arrival startled the priest and he turned and was poised to attack.  He stopped and smiled warmly when he saw Charia.    “My child, my how you have grown. Next time do not sneak up on an old man.”

Charia smiled warmly and chuckled at the priest.  She dismounted and tied her horse to the tree and ran and gave the priest a hug.

“ Oof, not so hard ,Charia.”  Grinning her hugged her just as firmly.  After a few moments he removed himself from her embrace.  “ So, what brings you here, my child?”

Charia smiled warmly looking at the priest, he had gotten older but was far from an old man.  She looked on him as her father as he had helped raise her.

“Father, I am on my way to Tivook, I have decided to learn more about the outside world and to let others know of Rhenallathan.  I have a letter in my saddlebags from the priestess to give to the innkeeper.  However my goal is not so urgent that I cannot  spend some time with you.”

The priest smiled warmly and looked over Charia, he felt deeply touched that she still found time to be with him.  He was sure the priestess had told her the basics
but he thought he would mention a thing or too just in case the priestess forgot.

“Charia if I may offer a few words of advice. Forgive me if the priestess already told you.  I would suggest you have your hood up as you approach the area.  Your horns well, to the simple folk could give you trouble, as you may be seen as a demon.  Only take it down after you enter the inn and given your letter to the innkeeper.  She is Elven so is aware that not all horned creatures are demons.  Tread carefully when you start to talk about Rhenallathan as humans are a stubborn lot and quite often set in their ways. Also do not spend coin freely, just use the minimal as many will try and take advantage of your kind nature.
If you run into any difficulty, you can always send a message to me and I will assist if able. Now then, it is good you had get back on your horse and continue your journey.”

Charia nodded at the priest and gave him a quick hug.  “Thank-you Father, I will take your words to heart.”  She mounted her horse and then pulled her hood up and carefully rode out to the inn. Along the way she was approached by farmers who seemed angry and armed. She slowly stopped her horse and one of the men approached her. His voice had a tinge of fear and anger.

“ Be warned stranger. A demon passed by not too long ago black as night. We will return to our farms. Maybe let the innkeeper know as well.”

Charia was glad her hood was up. She said nothing but nodded to the men and continued on her way. She thought to herself, “ A demon huh?  Well if it truly is, Rhenallathan give me strength.”

Charia saw the outline of the inn ahead so heeding the priest’s advice she slowed her horse to a walk. As she came near the barn she saw Ne’sekoleth, who at the sound of the horse’s hooves, quickly sat up, though still behind the tree.  Charia immediately stopped and looked him over.  He was totally black. She could tell he was a half breed like her and had human blood for his upper body and face were human, yet he had horns, claws and clawed feet.  One could almost think him a satyr.  Sensing his fear, she got off her horse slowly but did not approach.  No sooner had she dismounted when a sudden gust of wind appeared and pulled down her hood revealing her own horns. Ne’sekoleth would see too that she was not human as besides the horns her skin was blue.   Taking a deep breath but still not moving, Charia  smiled warmly and in a voice just as warm she spoke to him,

“Do not be afraid, I will not harm you. My name is Charia, a priestess of Rhenallathan.”   Still smiling she stayed in her place her eyes never leaving his.
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Dark Cloud/Silver Lining Empty Chapter Nine- Pawns

Post  Animayhem Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:29 pm

Unbeknownst to Charia and Ne’sekoleth, they were be watched, being studied.
It was not by a curious villager or hunter but by something more sinister, more ancient. Though still trapped within the cave, the dark one could feel the energy of the young man and woman.

The being felt both anger and elation.    “ So my patience has been rewarded.”

Focusing its attentions on Charia, it begins to plot.

“She is more powerful than the other, yet just as innocent.  Yes she will be my success where the other has failed if not then I will destroy her and thus her God.
Her heart bleeds too much I think and that I can take advantage of. I must get to her before she learns too much of the world. Yes, she will be mine or she will suffer in torment.”   Satisfied with its plans for Charia, the being focuses on Ne’sekoleth.

“ So shadow spawn, you too have the taint of Light yet also the taste of delicious darkness.  Your mother may have escaped me but you will not. I have been watching you and you will suit me as well.  Yes shadow spawn make nice with the priestess and thus you make her more of mine.”

Satisfied for the moment, the being cackled to itself and began making plans.
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content