Neverwinter Nights Multiplayer Server 24x7 Now with NWN and NWN:EE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Old Veteran Trying to return... NWN GODS FORBID ME

+3
Valerion
Elgate
DM_Dekkar
7 posters

Go down

Old Veteran Trying to return... NWN GODS FORBID ME Empty Old Veteran Trying to return... NWN GODS FORBID ME

Post  DM_Dekkar Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:57 pm

Hey all, Dekkar here

Even though my life is usually pretty busy most of the time - which explains why unfortunately I fall off the radar at random times. For the past 5 months I've been trying to make a return to this server, but my damn neverwinter nights REFUSES TO RUN. I've tried everything, I've installed NWN platinum, Diamond, just plain NWN1, updated to latest patches - even run the game in compatibility mode for XP, VISTA, Server 2000. And no matter what I do, neverwinter nights refuses to run on my PC again for some unknown reason. The weird thing is - for the most part it works fine, menu works - toolset even works however whenever I try to bootup the regular EXE either as a DM or Player, it will show the NWN Logo like it's about to boot the game up - then randomly, with no errors or explanation, the logo dissapears and nothing boots up. BUT, if I hit CTRL+ALT+DLT and look at my Task manager. NWN.exe is RUNNING in the background of my pc, no matter what I do, I can't seem to get it to come up. I have to close it through task manager in order to try again. What I don't get is, I've never had this problem with any other game ever. I even play OLDER games then neverwinter nights like system shock and baldurs gate. I am to the point where I've given up and my hopes to return to this wonderful community are dwindled to none. I miss the hardcore roleplay that everyone brings, and maybe one day by some miracle I can get it working again.. But until that day - guess I am stuck with Neverwinter nights 2 - at least that POS works..

My system specs are Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit, 4 gigs of Ram, and Nvidia Gerforce GTX 650. And again I've literally tried everything, updating my graphics/audio drivers. I've also tried changing configurations in the neverwinter nights directory via nwn.ini and nwnplayer.ini adjusting the cpyaffinity=-2 and other options. All failed.

The only change I can think of that i've done in the past 5 months is getting a newer graphics card, I had a 9800 GT Nvidia before - and NWN worked fine then.. But that dosen't make sense, cause as I said, I can play older games then NWN1.. I've lost sleep over this and my brain is wracked from attempting to figure out why NWN1 is the only game outa the 30 installed that wont run..
DM_Dekkar
DM_Dekkar
Posting Knave

Male Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2012-01-01

Character sheet
Character Name: DM Dekkar
Race: Human
Overall Level: Over 9000!

http://tobeking.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Old Veteran Trying to return... NWN GODS FORBID ME Empty Re: Old Veteran Trying to return... NWN GODS FORBID ME

Post  Elgate Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:07 pm

He's back! Quick, tie him down and don't let him escape again!

Also, techies, go! Solve his computer problems!
Elgate
Elgate
Forum Sage

Female Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2011-01-31

Character sheet
Character Name: Grace Fennerset
Overall Level: 30

Back to top Go down

Old Veteran Trying to return... NWN GODS FORBID ME Empty Re: Old Veteran Trying to return... NWN GODS FORBID ME

Post  Valerion Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:09 pm

I got him! I got him!

Btw, when in doubt, save all important data and programs, wipe the system, put it back on and try again!

You won'T get away! Not now!

I won't let this happen! NOT AGAIN! *Does his best G'kar impression*
Valerion
Valerion
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 917
Registration date : 2011-12-24

Character sheet
Character Name: Valerion
Overall Level: 40

Back to top Go down

Post  DM_Dekkar Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:49 pm

lol trust me if I can get the game running I will stick around, been craving to return for months! Gota get the DM fix with great roleplay as well as reacquaint with the awesome community that keeps nwn alive.. I can get it running in Virtual XP for windows 7 but it lags so bad I cant even play. I heard of other emulation XP programs I will attempt later, and let you know of my success
DM_Dekkar
DM_Dekkar
Posting Knave

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Eriniel Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:37 pm

Most common weird problem with windows nwn and nvidia drivers...

Microsoft version (one included in Windows, and the default choice of the hardware auto install) of nvidia driver sucks... badly.

Make sure have downloaded and installed the nvidia driver from the manufacturer's site...

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

Failing that it could be a missing direct X file, windows comes with some of the direct X runtime libraries, but not all of it (no clue why)... But downloading the Direct X run time from microsoft and installing that may help.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

Eriniel
Eriniel
Lead Scripter

Female Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Overall Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  DM_Dekkar Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:24 pm

Yeah tried both still no go. in the process of using VMWARE Player which lets you run a virtual os on the current os. But I have work shortly so I will find out tommorow night if I get it up and working - then it wont be long til I make my way in game - hopefully. Also I still have the rest of the convo from the last roleplay I did with everyone with the hunters guild/werewolf war meeting -  chat log saved thanks to Elgate - and I will update it accordingly in my DM topic with the rest of it when  I can.

Last edited by DM_Dekkar on Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
DM_Dekkar
DM_Dekkar
Posting Knave

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Ragdoll_Knight Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:48 pm

When you launch the game are you running it as Administrator? Try right clicking nwn.exe and do so, if you haven't already.
Ragdoll_Knight
Ragdoll_Knight
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Character sheet
Character Name: Tony
Overall Level: 32

Back to top Go down

Post  GM_ODA Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:47 am

WB friend Dekkar!!!,
Good to know you are still among the living!

When you install NWN you must install it as administrator. When you run NWN you must run it as administrator AND in XP mode (preferably SP2 or SP3). If you are not doing it this way, try it. Let me know if it helps. Keep us posted, we WILL get this running for you friend.
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Male Number of posts : 3070

Character sheet
Character Name: Firkin Alechugger
Race: Dwarf
Overall Level: 11

https://web.archive.org/web/20151106073532/http://playnwn.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:54 am

GM_ODA wrote:WB friend Dekkar!!!,
Good to know you are still among the living!

When you install NWN you must install it as administrator. When you run NWN you must run it as administrator AND in XP mode (preferably SP2 or SP3). If you are not doing it this way, try it. Let me know if it helps. Keep us posted, we WILL get this running for you friend.

Yep. I had to do that.

Looking forward to seeing you again!
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Number of posts : 2213
Registration date : 2010-07-11

Character sheet
Character Name: Charia/Arys
Race: Half-Elf
Overall Level: 30/30

Back to top Go down

Old Veteran Trying to return... NWN GODS FORBID ME Empty PROGRESS

Post  DM_Dekkar Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:50 pm

Well I got good news and bad news!

Good news is, I got NWN1 Working again - but only by setting up a virtual OS of windows xp service pack 3.. Not quite what I wanted to do but in the end nwn is worth it and boy how i've missed it. NOW THE BAD NEWS - Since nwvault.ign.com is no longer alive, I am afraid I can't get the required haks such as CEP 2.1 and the Al Dohral Haks unless I can scanvenge them from somewhere else on the net... I have to work in 2 hours from now so I won't be on today, I will attempt to finish getting never winter setup so I can join, I look forward to seeing you all in game again!
DM_Dekkar
DM_Dekkar
Posting Knave

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Eriniel Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:48 pm

Could try here, they are meant to be backwardly compatible, so client PC has 2.3 or 2.4 they should be able to play just fine, only problem comes from when trying to build stuff...

neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/hakpak/combined/cep-23-cep-24

(Suggest you check the checksums on these though, not familiar with the site myself, not used it yet)
Eriniel
Eriniel
Lead Scripter

Female Number of posts : 340

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Overall Level:

Back to top Go down

Old Veteran Trying to return... NWN GODS FORBID ME Empty Faillll

Post  DM_Dekkar Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:09 pm

Got everything ready to go when my Virtual OS got corrupted because of lack of diskspace I partioned for it, so now it will take another 2 hours to reinstall everything on the virtaul os again and I got work shortly, so looks like I am going to be on tomorrow instead of today. If it's not one thing it's another! I WILL GET THIS WORKING ONE WAY OR ANOTHER!!!!!
DM_Dekkar
DM_Dekkar
Posting Knave

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Elgate Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:26 pm

YOU WILL.

YOU MUST.
Elgate
Elgate
Forum Sage

Female Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2011-01-31

Character sheet
Character Name: Grace Fennerset
Overall Level: 30

Back to top Go down

Post  Valerion Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:29 pm

THE EMPEROR COMMANDS IT!
Valerion
Valerion
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 917
Registration date : 2011-12-24

Character sheet
Character Name: Valerion
Overall Level: 40

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down