Neverwinter Nights Multiplayer Server 24x7 Now with NWN and NWN:EE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Assassin Vines

3 posters

Go down

Assassin Vines Empty Assassin Vines

Post  Ragdoll_Knight Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:34 am

Assassin Vines are already a deadly foe for those who are ill prepared, but this suggestion makes them deadly for anybody.

The thorns of an Assassin Vine secrete a deadly posion that cause sickness. (each hit deals 1 CON Damage, no save, stops at 3 CON) The wounds delt by these Vines do not heal until the sickness is removed by someone capable. (Regeneration is cut out. Healing Potions/Kits dont heal, non-Heal healing spells don't heal. Wounded is Applied OnHit.) Druid/Ranger can gather Vine Sap from the corpse, which when drunk reverses the poison slowly. (1 CON restored per hour, able to be healed) Clerics of Amaner/Deeproot/DiseaseGod can Pray for Vine Sap, High DF can pray for instant healing (Heal works, but does not Fix CON, also player is still Wounded and can not be healed. Greater Restoration Fixes CON)
Ragdoll_Knight
Ragdoll_Knight
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Character sheet
Character Name: Tony
Race: Human
Overall Level: 32

Back to top Go down

Assassin Vines Empty Re: Assassin Vines

Post  Ragdoll_Knight Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:50 pm

I'd like to know what people think of this, it adds another danger to the Assassin Vines that requires a player who encounters them to seek help or hope that the poison doesn't become fatal (after 3 Days a Fortitude Vs Poison DC: 35 the player then falls into a coma. After another few hours the player dies.) And adds a poison that can be used by those with training.
Ragdoll_Knight
Ragdoll_Knight
Forum Sage

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  eve_of_disaster Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:52 am

While its a neat idea its just too horrendous for my taste. I'm the kind of player who enjoys when things go my way. In any game the tests you face are or should be designed to make it a more fun experience as you conquer them, not make your playing experience hellish. I see no point in giving the already deadly assassin vines an even deadlier weapon, and on top of that a poison without a save. o.O'

It would be easy for us experienced players who knows many of the ins and outs of the server to shrug off a death from assassin vines, but for a newbie/lowbie it might feel like the server was designed for them to die in different ways. <.<'

Maybe if the assassin vines weren't all holed up in areas where newbies and lowbies so easily get to, I would be slightly more fine with it. As it stands, the poison would be more than easy to gather for an experienced character (giving them an insanely powerful weapon) while newbie chars and lowbie chars will have a superhard time just exploring around Tivook Inn (which, if I may add, has all the lowbie areas around it). Maybe mutated assassin vines carrying the poison live in the jungle areas east of Ilfaw Fen (hopefully soon to be added?).
eve_of_disaster
eve_of_disaster
Forum Courtier

Female Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2010-03-30

Character sheet
Character Name:
Overall Level: 40

Back to top Go down

Post  Ragdoll_Knight Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:06 pm

I suppose it might be a tad too hardcore for the creature I designed it for. Perhaps I'll fix it up and use it in an event when I get back.
Ragdoll_Knight
Ragdoll_Knight
Forum Sage

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  eve_of_disaster Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:47 pm

Eek. xD
eve_of_disaster
eve_of_disaster
Forum Courtier

Character sheet
Character Name:

Back to top Go down

Post  Ragdoll_Knight Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:08 pm

I just had a thought. The deeproot shrine is litterally down the road from the Vines newbies find easily, so it would be easy to program him to assist those poisoned by the vines. Also, one thing you have to think about is you either survive one or you don't. Quin's been killed several times when they've snuck up on him and dealt 30+ DMG in a single attack, to his 18 HP. After that it's either find help or the deadly venom will surely prove fatal. (After all, if players get to wander about uninterupted they end up out there for hours at a time and quickly explore everything)
Ragdoll_Knight
Ragdoll_Knight
Forum Sage

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  eve_of_disaster Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:49 pm

I'm sure they don't explore everything quickly, Ragz.. xD
eve_of_disaster
eve_of_disaster
Forum Courtier

Character sheet
Character Name:

Back to top Go down

Post  Ragdoll_Knight Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:41 pm

Perhaps, though under the effects of Cat's Grace and Invisibility Quin mapped out Southern Tivook in 20 Minutes. Though all he did was explore and put Map Notes on important things.
How about 2d4 Damage every hour, and the inability to heal when poisoned by a Vine, with a DC of 25 (Fort) or even make the DC equal to damage dealt.
Ragdoll_Knight
Ragdoll_Knight
Forum Sage

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  LordSurge Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:49 am

Assassin vines are bad enough as it.

Lots of damage, and they see the folks who are hidden.

There's no reason to put a murderous poison in such a low level area, really. Especially without a save to negate it. Again I'd like to re-state that poisons without a save are a terrible idea.

Perhaps a new area with 'enhanced' vines, maybe that wizard has been experimenting with strange plants in his greenhouse. Maybe some thieves shipping some on the black market had an accident on the road, somewhere far from most areas new players frequent.

On a tangent, why is it you want to stave off exploration? There're always reasons to go back over places you've been as it's not always the same.
LordSurge
LordSurge
Forum Knight

Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2010-11-19

Character sheet
Character Name: Zeff Trom

Back to top Go down

Post  Ragdoll_Knight Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:25 am

I don't particularly want to stop exploration, just make it more interesting and difficult. However, vines don't particularly need this upgrade permanently. So maybe DMs could keep poison in mind when players encounter them.
Ragdoll_Knight
Ragdoll_Knight
Forum Sage

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content