Neverwinter Nights Multiplayer Server 24x7 Now with NWN and NWN:EE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wanted to clear this up.

5 posters

Go down

Wanted to clear this up. Empty Wanted to clear this up.

Post  AdaonGP Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:12 pm

Just wanted to clear this up before it becomes a "thing" (and before all the lyco players on the server try to turn myles)

Kross was bitten by Arial and thus turned into a werecat. I knew this, but Myles did not. However, I met Kross in game, and he told me what happened. Myles could see that he was not right. Unfortunately, Kross did not know who bit him, but both vowed that if they found out, they would slay the offender. They also started to plan on how they could get Kross cured.

Moments later we're in the common room at Tivook, and Arial walks in. Myles is still completely unaware that Arial bit Kross, or even that she is a Lyco. He is, however, plotting on how he can get Krossy some help, possibly through the wilderness runners. Arial enters the inn. Myles is sitting there while Krossy is feeling like crap. Arial, giggling at Kross' affliction, gives him milk to make him feel better. Strange, given that the cat now inside of Krossy would clearly enjoy this thing, but not exactly the most obvious beverage for someone who isn't feeling well. I don't know about you all, but when I'm sick or hungover, milk is generally not something I want to drink.

Anywho, Myles doesn't think anything of this, but then Arial decides to nap (catnap) on the floor next to his table. Again, not too odd in and of itself. But as she is sleeping, she begins to Purr (arial's own words). This is the first thing that catches Myles' attention. Obviously if a cat bit Kross and turned him into a werecat, then the offending kitty has a human form. You don't need to be an expert to know such a thing. So Myles, in his growing curiosity, places a piece of catnip on the floor, and watches. Kross passes his will save (barely) to not pick up the catnip, but Arial smells it and wakes up. Now Myles is very suspicious.

Still watching, Myles witnesses Arial pull a ball of yarn from her bag and give it to Krossy. This is when alarm bells start ringing. First of all, the fact that she was carrying a ball of yarn. "But maybe she likes to knit!" You say, but then why would she GIVE AWAY her yarn to a warrior, a grown man in a suit of plate mail who is a mercenary?? That is, unless she knows of his affliction. And Arial is not exactly Kross' comrade, which she herself admits in saying "i've never met him before". So if she knows, then it is likely she had something to do with it. Finally, the clincher, she picks up the catnip.

Soo....Myles basically forces her outside at Knifepoint and accuses her, telling her to confess. She denies it. He again demands a confession, threatening death, and she again denies. He tells her that he does not need her confession to know what he saw, and tells her to leave the Tivook inn for good or he will kill her. This is very important - HE GIVES HER AN OUT. Now one would think that in such a situation it would be wise to take your option and go. Perhaps later she could even ambush Myles unexpectedly outside of the Inn and try to turn him too. But again, she indignantly refuses. So he steps closer and takes his sword (Forged by Telyn out of silver) touching it to her skin, upon which she reacts, turning into her hybrid form and hissing and becoming threatening. The beast revealed, Myles slays her with his silver blade.

Why am I posting this, you may ask? Because shortly after this someone contacted me and said something to the effect of "So much for RP, eh?". I find this a little ridiculous given that this person was not there, but nonetheless, I wanted this to be on record. This WAS RP'ed all the way to the end, to the point where I gave Arial a way out. Myles is an evil-aligned character, who is -known- to dislike cats (not a personal thing, it has to do with his inferiority complex about being small: he can't stand creatures smaller than himself). Not to mention that Kross is his best friend. Furthermore, is this not an inherent risk in playing a lyco character? If you are turning other PC's, eventually someone is going to find you out and at least attempt to kill you. To turn someone into a lyco is essentially to derail all of the other RP that player has going at the time, forcing them to deal with either accepting lycanthropy or figuring out how to be cured. If you don't want your character to be hunted, then either don't turn other PC's, or don't be so obvious. I'm not knocking Arial or her ability to roleplay, but she literally slumped down in front of me and began to purr as she slept. Eventually the facts add up. You don't have to be a scholar or have 20 INT to figure that out.

That being said, Arial, it was nothing personal, it was strictly roleplay. Until he found out about Kross, Myles had no intention of hunting lycos or killing Arial. It was simply an IC reaction to the situation. If Myles kills for money, he's going to kill for his friends.

Last edited by AdaonGP on Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
AdaonGP
AdaonGP
Posting Knave

Male Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Character sheet
Character Name: Myles Wallskipper
Race: Halfling
Overall Level: 21

Back to top Go down

Wanted to clear this up. Empty Re: Wanted to clear this up.

Post  Dranz Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:49 pm

I personally agree completely. PvP -will- happen in situations like these, especially when it comes to lycanthropes vs hunters (or just regular people even!). The facts -do- add up, and after a certain point things will become obvious. Especially at the Tivook Inn (Which has seen various attacks by Lycanthropes by the way.), and when RP is all said and done, well...sometimes actions speak louder than words.

Just wanted to throw in my two cents.

Dranz
Posting Knave

Male Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2010-01-12

Character sheet
Character Name: Teb'fryn Do'lyl
Race:
Overall Level: 32

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaos1987 Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:21 am

I was there and didn't see anything wrong with the parts I saw. (Everything but the outside part)

However, PvP is something serious, especially when it inflicts things that a nice death can't cure. Lycanthropy, Silver Poisoning, Vampirism, the removal of body parts...

Maybe in those situations we should have an "ask first" type of thing before PvP happens, since they can make semi-permanent changes to your character. The best part is, if PvP permission isn't given, the parties could talk fight instead. Here's an example of talk fighting:

Player one: *Bill raises the axe over his head, trying to bring it down over the head of Ted. If it connects, it's gonna hurt since his strength is higher than normal*
Player two: *Ted more than likely avoids such an obvious attack, stepping to the left to counterattack with an uppercut. Since Ted is a low level monk, his fists hit harder than you'd expect*
Player one: *Bill takes it on the chin, not being able to dodge well, and stumbles back* You'll never date my mother! *He takes a step as if to attack, but instead hurls the axe in a surprise attack toward Ted's thigh*
Player two: *Ted has no idea what to make of that attack, and is cut deep on his leg* Darn you! She will be mine!

It has a lot of potential for abuse, i.e. "You miss, I hit you back, you die", but I think it could avoid problems. And it's a courtesy!
Khaos1987
Khaos1987
Posting Knave

Male Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2010-10-21

Character sheet
Character Name: Kross
Race: Human
Overall Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  Dranz Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:04 am

This is a fairly hardcore server, but I understand where you're coming from. Still, there's no need to go that far normally. If you're not careful you -will- die, be it by player hand or npc. Even animals know when they're outmatched, so if someone shows all the signs through RP of being likely to attack, if you don't want to risk death maybe you should back down?

If you can find no reason to, or it's simply something your character wouldn't do, then that's a matter for the character in question to deal with IC perhaps. And I can't stress enough for lycanthropes, when you're in civilization in whatever form, you're in enemy turf. Just as in the wilderness, they are likely on yours. Expect conflict.

Yes, while it would be courteous to ask before initiating PvP, common sense comes into play here. Lycanthropy is a double-edged sword. As for any other kind of conflict, it happens. If you want text conflict you should make that known. I believe due to the nature of this server though, that PvP is inevitable.

Once a way out is given, one should think strongly on whether to take it or not before continuing. But I suppose if this discussion goes any further I'll start a new topic if need-be.

Sorry Adaon, wasn't trying to hijack your thread.

Dranz
Posting Knave

Male Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2010-01-12

Character sheet
Character Name: Teb'fryn Do'lyl
Race:
Overall Level: 32

Back to top Go down

Post  AdaonGP Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:15 am

No Dranz, I really do appreciate the input on the subject. The fact of the matter is, regarding my original post, I talked to Arial afterward and she understood why things happened they way they did. This topic really rose out of a comment made to me by someone who was not present nor even logged on at the time, which is a bit ridiculous. But I do think that this issue brings up a good topic for discussion, as you guys have showed.

Obviously my actions speak pretty clearly, but I have to side with Dranz on this one. And I will add to his point by saying that the actual in-game combat system is an important and very fun aspect of the game. Yes you can find plenty of monsters to fight, but there is nothing like some good ol' PC on PC PVP when the time is right. "Text fighting" honestly cannot compare. There is always the aspect of suspension of disbelief in this game, moreso on an RP server than any other, but you cannot tell me that it isn't more satisfying when the in-game animations and actions actually represent what you are trying to do IC. "Text fighting" is literally standing there doing nothing while pretending to fight, and in my opinion takes all the enjoyment out of fighting, which is one of the systems in the game that speaks for itself as far as bringing you a quality visual representation of desired actions. As it is, all of the RP leading up to that point is exactly the same thing - standing there and doing little if nothing. Almost all of the actions taking place within normal conversation, no matter how enthusiastic or heated, are left up to players to *describe* and imagine it while it is happening. For the purpose of conversing, this is fine, but when it comes to combat it seems rather ridiculous to me to just ignore a system that is put in there to perform the actions we would be describing. To "text fight" is essentially to eliminate any real advantages, differences, and balances that come with picking a race, a class, collecting items, and leveling up.

In my honest opinion, there is already an EXCESSIVE amount of time spent on -conversation- alone. I understand this is the core of an RP server, but quite often I find that conversation goes beyond the reasoning of a situation. For example, an event where Cathea had sent Krossy, Haven and I on a wild goose chase, only to send undead after us when we returned to the Inn. Then through the portal comes a vampire who was Cathea's enemy, but we thought her to be Cathea's accomplice, and thus tied her up. When we finally had her untied, instead of making any sort of plan to track down or lure out this Cathea, everyone chose to sit about and talk about mundane topics. If an undead mage just attacked you, and you finally have come to terms with the enemy-of-my-enemy clause, WHY would you just sit there and blabber on about random nonsense? That event in and of itself ended there, and we ended up doing nothing about the situation. Myles got very heated about everyone's lack of inaction, and that was my own honest response to the fact that everyone was sitting around talking about nothing.

Then you add in variables such as typing ability, reaction time, connection speed....often times regular conversations become drawn out due to these factors. I am a rather fast typer and fast reactor so I am always wondering if people have gone AFK when I have to wait 2 minutes between responses. You add this into combat, which is supposed to be spontaneous, frenetic action, and you turn it into an overdrawn, lackluster affair that is downright depressing. I'll stick with actual fighting Razz

Last edited by AdaonGP on Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total
AdaonGP
AdaonGP
Posting Knave

Male Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Character sheet
Character Name: Myles Wallskipper
Race: Halfling
Overall Level: 21

Back to top Go down

Post  GM_ODA Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:28 am

My view is - and this may be controversial - that treating a PC differently than you would a NPC/MONSTER is a form of METAGAMING. In essense, after the initial RP exchange such as that above which might result in hostilities - you would not ask the DM "is it OK if I attack this NPC?" but rather, when the words were exhausted, you'd attack (if you felt this was IC).

Now, the most controversial extension of this thinking is one involving a stealth killer. Technically speaking, just being in stealth mode and skulking about IS behaving ICly, and if the target strays too closer for their own safety, what comes naturally would seem to me to be IC RP.

In other words, enforced 'declarations of PC v PC' would be a sort of mandatory metagaming would it not?

Be well. Game on.
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Male Number of posts : 3070
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Firkin Alechugger
Race: Dwarf
Overall Level: 11

https://web.archive.org/web/20151106073532/http://playnwn.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  eve_of_disaster Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:42 am

I like RP'd combat. So I'll take this opportunity to explain a bit why and how its done. Smile

RP'd combat can end without anyone being dead. It can be a punch in the face that knocks someone out because it fits the scene/story. It could involve a kidnapping or any such fun things and best of all; it ignores powerbuilds, levels and other things that sometimes feel very unrealistic. Like for example the barbarian who survives 50 straight hits by a twohanded axe. I mean, honestly, what is that??

By Roleplaying combat you can make it realistic as opposed to this insanity that is DnD combat. In my oppinion! Shocked

*Picks up the nearby chair and hits Teb'fryn over the head with it.*

Tell me how to do that with nwn mechanics. However, despite the hit being flawless, hitting an unarmed and unarmored opponent with his back turned to you - you do 1-2 damage + strength modifier with a very slight chance of getting a crit. Out of 150 hitpoints you do almost nothing. Unless you have dev critical: chair of course at which point you may make your opponent explode in a fountain of guts and blood.

While I do enjoy the many haks you can download to make combat more interesting and fun to watch the nwn-engine only ever shines when you watch the lovely spell-effects. Smile

RP'd combat is fun and entertaining. But mostly fun when you are roleplaying with people whom follow the RP-combat basic rules. Like so: *She attempts to...* *He tries to...* (and of
course followed by a description of how he or she does what they intend so that it can be answered with a proper emote). Its not fun when someone god-games the RP combat.

Personally I don't like rolling dice. I'd much rather tell whom I roleplaying with what number the stat or skill is that I am trying to use to do something, followed by a good description of the action I'm taking. But either way works I suppose.
eve_of_disaster
eve_of_disaster
Forum Courtier

Female Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2010-03-30

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race: Human
Overall Level: 40

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down