Neverwinter Nights Multiplayer Server 24x7 Now with NWN and NWN:EE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Get Rid of the Town Spectres at Night

+9
DM Drachen
autokilla
Moonchild
Shar
GunpowderHater
Eriniel
GM_ODA
Animayhem
Surrealistik
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Get Rid of the Town Spectres at Night - Page 2 Empty Re: Get Rid of the Town Spectres at Night

Post  Shar Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:47 am

GM_ODA wrote:
I do understand most other servers use 'rails' to keep PCs from "getting in over their depth" but this server was built with no 'training wheels' meant to feel more like a real world full of unknowns and places where the travelers' good judgement is the only thing between the traveler and folly. I will add warnings from guards regarding night dangers for all 'lowbie' PCs.
GM_ODA

I think the real problem with this (that we are all eluding to in our own way) is that in Pen and paper D&D, (hence what the DMG was referring too) you might find a doppelganger in town or a ghost or whatever. But they were always either very few in number (because the guards would destroy them if they got in the open); or they would be somehow contained in say "the eerie haunted building that once housed some terrible event".

I think the problem is just as simple as the fact that the monsters are an unrealistically visible presence. Especially in the capitol city of a kingdom (albeit a small one). It begs the question of why the Dorian king hasn't simply said "Purge the city of this filth!" and hunted these things down house by house.

This may seem like a big task, but with the monsters being so prevalent one can assume that he would see it not just as a security issue but an outright survival issue. if the city is that unsafe none will trade there; people will leave even under threat of death because staying is more dangerous than leaving.

its really something to think about.
Shar
Shar
Forum Vizier

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2012-01-15

Character sheet
Character Name: Ne'Sekoleth
Race:
Overall Level: 20

Back to top Go down

Get Rid of the Town Spectres at Night - Page 2 Empty reviving with a better idea

Post  BobbyBrown15 Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:34 am

Since they are not supposed be be damageable with standard weapons, but magically enhanced weapons ARE supposed to still hurt them. Why not just make them 100% invulnerable to slashing, piercing, and bludgeoning. That way magically enhanced weapons can still hit them, but generic weapons will do nothing but RP wise pass right through.
BobbyBrown15
BobbyBrown15
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 521
Location : Roseville, MN, USA (not online tuesdays, fridays or saturdays)
Registration date : 2012-09-28

Character sheet
Character Name: Vashan Wilkina
Race: Human
Overall Level: 28 Total (19 Sorc/9 RDD)

Back to top Go down

Get Rid of the Town Spectres at Night - Page 2 Empty Re: Get Rid of the Town Spectres at Night

Post  Animayhem Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:34 pm

BobbyBrown15 wrote:Since they are not supposed be be damageable with standard weapons, but magically enhanced weapons ARE supposed to still hurt them. Why not just make them 100% invulnerable to slashing, piercing, and bludgeoning. That way magically enhanced weapons can still hit them, but generic weapons will do nothing but RP wise pass right through.

The problem is they attack anything, including low levels who do not have enhanced weapons. The fact is, if the guards are nto going to fight them and it is up to the citizen(aka)player to do so then they should be able to defeat them.
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Number of posts : 2213
Registration date : 2010-07-11

Character sheet
Character Name: Charia/Arys
Race: Half-Elf
Overall Level: 30/30

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyBrown15 Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:31 pm

as it currently stands even if they do fight back, they can;t even hurt them, with this changed some could, and i mean all of the ghosts and shadows like this in general that appear everywhere.
BobbyBrown15
BobbyBrown15
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 521
Location : Roseville, MN, USA (not online tuesdays, fridays or saturdays)
Registration date : 2012-09-28

Character sheet
Character Name: Vashan Wilkina
Overall Level: 28 Total (19 Sorc/9 RDD)

Back to top Go down

Post  Shar Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:33 pm

Shar wrote:
GM_ODA wrote:
I do understand most other servers use 'rails' to keep PCs from "getting in over their depth" but this server was built with no 'training wheels' meant to feel more like a real world full of unknowns and places where the travelers' good judgement is the only thing between the traveler and folly. I will add warnings from guards regarding night dangers for all 'lowbie' PCs.
GM_ODA

I think the real problem with this (that we are all eluding to in our own way) is that in Pen and paper D&D, (hence what the DMG was referring too) you might find a doppelganger in town or a ghost or whatever. But they were always either very few in number (because the guards would destroy them if they got in the open); or they would be somehow contained in say "the eerie haunted building that once housed some terrible event".

I think the problem is just as simple as the fact that the monsters are an unrealistically visible presence. Especially in the capitol city of a kingdom (albeit a small one). It begs the question of why the Dorian king hasn't simply said "Purge the city of this filth!" and hunted these things down house by house.

This may seem like a big task, but with the monsters being so prevalent one can assume that he would see it not just as a security issue but an outright survival issue. if the city is that unsafe none will trade there; people will leave even under threat of death because staying is more dangerous than leaving.

its really something to think about.

I feel that this summed it up well, however i would like to add that it might "feel" more realistic and on track to have thugs or the like within the city rather than shadows, especially in the back alleys.
Shar
Shar
Forum Vizier

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2012-01-15

Character sheet
Character Name: Ne'Sekoleth
Race:
Overall Level: 20

Back to top Go down

Post  DM Drachen Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:40 pm

GunpowderHater wrote:Well. With your reply in mind, ODA, then I'm all too happy to keep the current spawns, at least for now, if events around their appearances are actually rolled. I personally would like to see some action outside of Tivook. It frankly gets old quite fast and I think we all agree that old run down inn needs some time to get its finances back up from so many attacks >.>

Overall, we have a wonderful HUGE city filled with possibilities for RP and for PCs to start their own things. Why not focus on it for a while and add a different flavour to the already quite depleted Tivook? It won't kill player interactions whatsoever given players tend to constantly band up in parties.

Quoting ODA here,

Be well. Game on.

Gun

I just did an event in Dohral last night. Insert smiley face here.
DM Drachen
DM Drachen
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 683
Registration date : 2011-01-07

Character sheet
Character Name:
Overall Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  Valerion Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:56 pm

Get Rid of the Town Spectres at Night - Page 2 Thread-necromancy2
Valerion
Valerion
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 917
Registration date : 2011-12-24

Character sheet
Character Name: Valerion
Overall Level: 40

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2