Neverwinter Nights Multiplayer Server 24x7 Now with NWN and NWN:EE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SUGGESTION - tone down the shadows

4 posters

Go down

SUGGESTION - tone down the shadows Empty SUGGESTION - tone down the shadows

Post  exkilter Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:54 pm

i ran into a couple of shadows in town the other night and was surprised to find that my +3 weapon had absolutely no effect. come to find out they had 100% concealment. i'd like to propose that this be toned down, not just in the interest of game balance but also for conceptual/rp reasons.

100% concealment means they will never be hit at all by any physical weapons whatsoever, by anyone wielding them, no matter how magical the weapons or how powerful the character, whatever the circumstances. even a 40th-level fighter w/a +20 weapon would be powerless against them. this seems counter-intuitive at best and also contrary to game balance.

from an rp perspective, just because shadows are incorporeal doesn't mean they can't be hit by magical weapons ; magical weapons have magical auras that extend to the other inner planes. quoting from the 3.0 srd -
An incorporeal creature has no physical body. It can be harmed only by other incorporeal creatures, magic weapons or creatures that strike as magic weapons, and spells, spell-like abilities, or supernatural abilities. It is immune to all nonmagical attack forms. Even when hit by spells or magic weapons, it has a 50% chance to ignore any damage from a corporeal source (except for positive energy, negative energy, force effects such as magic missile, or attacks made with ghost touch weapons).[1]
finally, a creature which is ethereal [and therefore has 100% concealment] can't affect creatures on the prime material plane[2]. this means that they shouldn't be able to attack other creatures -- and yet they do, w/complete impunity.

all of this suggests that 50% concealment would be a better choice than 100%.

what do you think?

exkilter
Posting Knave

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2012-12-20

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Overall Level:

Back to top Go down

SUGGESTION - tone down the shadows Empty Re: SUGGESTION - tone down the shadows

Post  autokilla Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:49 pm

i actually agree, my level 25 rogue/SD cant even hurt them even though his prestige class is -shadow- dancer and i have powerful enchanted wreapons yet he has no effect, it also makes sense how they wouldn't be able to harm anyone else in my opinion...

autokilla
Posting Knave

Male Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2011-12-31

Character sheet
Character Name: Uglack
Race:
Overall Level: 25

Back to top Go down

Post  DM Drachen Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:28 pm

I agree. They're way too hard for being in a place where low levels are around frequently.
DM Drachen
DM Drachen
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 683
Registration date : 2011-01-07

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race: Human
Overall Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  anntari Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:24 pm