I have posted on other forums / social networks in support of Argentum Regio ...
The last couple years have been difficult for myself (GM_ODA) and some may have even had cause to worry for the Argentum Regio server. I have weathered, and continue to weather RL issues. The server through this time has likewise carried on, even grown strength.
THANKS to our GENEROUS DONORS, Argentum Regio was able to migrate to a server with better speed and hardware than the old server which we had been running for about five years. The new machine, online now and running smoothy, is a beauty boasting specs of a Xeon Quad Core X3220 processor running at 2.4GHz populated with 8GB Ram, featuring a 500GB SATA HD, and bandwidth of 5TB monthly cap on a 100Mbps port! All this with FIVE IPs!
I would like to point out that our GENEROUS DONORS rallied last year and covered the costs of operating the server all the way through JULY 2015 - when fees will be due again, so please, be sure to tickle that DONATE BUTTON before then and help ensure we can continue the operation of this unique and truly awesome NWN multiplayer server.
Thanks to our resident genius Eriniel, that damn module corruption issue was finally identified and resolved! WHOOP WHOOOP WHOOOOOP! HOORAY FOR ERINIEL!
Now that the evil module corruption issue has been dealt with in a very final sense, I (GM_ODA) am at last free to focus on all those things I've wanted to do in the module but were unable to address until the evil corruption was officially 'history'. Pardon me a moment whilst I dance a jig on the grave of the module corruption error.
There. That's better.
In the last thirty days, I've been able to add more than ten new custom spells to the module, resolve literally hundreds of reported minor bugs, and initiated a final review of 'missing areas' to be restored from the zillion-and-one module archives in my collection. Important and long-promised zones in the module are nearing completion, including Meldramin's Tower, Dohral College additions, and much more. Meanwhile, Eriniel, as is her amazing 'normal', has been continuously sending in updates full of fixes great and small, typically two or three updates a week.
Rather than being 'full-time workers' on this project we are able to work at it only in our 'free time', and we lack a large support staff - so all parts of a task from the highly technical to the dreadfully mundane; we do it all. This is a large undertaking for a small crew - yet it goes well. SUPER BIG THANK YOU TO OUR SMALL BUT AMAZING CREW!!! Volunteers have aided the effort with monumental efforts in creating the WIKI, mapping and more. The server is growing well as witnessed by the fact that we presently have over 600 pages of DM Documentation, a 20+ page web site, a robust PLAYER GUIDE PDF soon to go into a second edition, a 80+ page wiki, a 13k+ post forum --- and best of all, a STABLE server that runs LAG FREE hosting a module that is nearly 200 megabytes in size, with 1337+ Areas, 100+ new spells, and a host of features that collectively are found nowhere else.
This is a work in progress. We work at the pace we work. What we have for you on the server is very robust and functional. Since day one of the server's debut, the server has steadily improved, and it will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. When will it be done? Like any good cook I will answer : when it is done. Soup is only soup when it is soup.
If you want to see it done sooner, volunteer some help (there are many things to be done, not all of it is 'building the module' or scripting, and chances are, if you have time, we have a small task you could do to help). We have outlined our plan for moving forward here:
- Name Change (impending) as the present name in our experience and from feedback often leads the reader to believe this is a Spanish language server - which it is not, it is an English language server. The original name was hoped to reflect the feeling of a server set in the historic shadow of an empire similar to rome, with a bit of a 'Latin' mish-mashed in to further give the impression of an alternate prime material (alternate Earth).
- Retain our present hosting arrangement to take full advantage of the known and well advertised IP address and FURTHER BENEFITS now becoming available*.
- Get more of our own PLAYERS posting with frequency on the remaining public boards that cater to NWN in general (not specific to any other server, but NWN related sites as noted in the URLs found throughout this thread).
- Get PLAYER numbers up to a point where finding - for example 20 among those number willing to drop $4 a month on our server costs - becomes routine.
- Get DOHRAL the main module OUT OF BETA TEST.
- Begin roll-out of DOHRAL's SISTER MODULES which describe other locations on the same and other worlds. Ultimately this was envisioned as a multi-server set of modules that PCs could move between in their travels, with the modules beyond the main or core module using more HAK packs to obtain more visual diversity in those other modules while keeping the overhead required to enter the main module to a minimum (still only CEP2.1 or better required here).
If you lack time but have a few dollars to spare, you can always donate to help support the server (ALL DONATIONS GO TOWARD PAYING SERVER FEES - I pay for my own Internet connection, the server has its own redundant connections and those are FAT). The server comes with a service plan that means anytime any hardware fails, the techs go to work diagnosing and replacing any bad parts. We have experienced an event where a hard drive was failing (causing heat issues) when we reported it it was about 30 minutes before the server was back online with all new parts. THAT is extraordinary quality. More, the fact that all this hardware servicing is in someone else's hands means I have more time to devote to the server.
- We welcome GUEST BUILDERS and this has long been our policy. About 100 of our 1337+ Areas available on the server are built by GUEST BUILDERS.
- We have ongoing request for volunteers to help write books for in-game (so they have varied 'voices').
- We have ongoing request for volunteers to help write NPC dialog lines for HENCHMAN convos.
- We have ongoing request for volunteers to help select worthy haks for the 'sister modules' that are planned.
- We have ongoing request for volunteers to take on the mantle of DM.
- We have ongoing request for volunteers to help promote the server on the Internet.
I personally am working at growing this server daily. As noted above I am seeking to free more of my time to better focus on the script/build final work that will get us out of BETA TEST.
I personally ceased my solo effort to promote the server about two years ago. I choose to leave it to the PLAYERBASE as my time is better spent doing other things. It is important to note that, especially when PLAYER NUMBERS ARE DOWN, our own PLAYERBASE doing community outreach becomes all the more essential. I have created several threads specifically to address this issue. Numbers fluctuate, lately the numbers had been low but more recently we are seeing an influx of new PLAYERS and this is likely related to improved levels of PLAYERBASE outreach encouraged by these efforts. I say to all who care to receive the words "step up the player outreach and you will reap many rewards, fail to do so and you will play alone".
What you have here is one of the oldest NWN servers remaining on the Internet. Argentum Regio is a server with scripting arguably superior to most any other in terms of stability, richness of features, and overall usability. This server is constantly flirting with a greater destiny of becoming a very popular server, and that less desirable one of being shut down. The numbers of PLAYERS logged on - the greater this number the more PLAYERS new to the server are enticed to login and 'see what the buzz is', and more in a RP server the greater numbers lead to more RP options and thus more fun for all involved. Every couple months I see the number of PLAYERS logged in crest up there around 20-odd, then ebb back down to the teens (though sometimes there are less). YOU can make a difference. With your help, this server can grow and thrive for a long long time to come. There are countless adventures to be had here, countless stories to tell. Viva la fantasy!
Be well. Game on.
18.104.22.168 NWN server requires cep2.1+
24x7 we bring the game.
Be well. Game on.
22.214.171.124 NWN server requires cep2.1+
24x7 we bring the game.