Neverwinter Nights Multiplayer Server 24x7 Now with NWN and NWN:EE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

nwn enhanced?

+8
Vaasgoth
joo3
Ragdoll_Knight
GM_ODA
LordSurge
LadyAloura
Animayhem
heather
12 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

nwn enhanced? Empty nwn enhanced?

Post  heather Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:14 pm

wasn't sure if many people have seen this yet or not, it sounds like they are going to be fixing the server listings to work again with it all when it comes out and a handful of other features...

heather
Forum Knight

Female Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2010-02-11

Character sheet
Character Name: Melinda Davis
Race: Human
Overall Level: 9

Back to top Go down

nwn enhanced? Empty Re: nwn enhanced?

Post  Animayhem Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:33 pm

The news has been out for some time. The developers are working with various admins of persistent worlds. Many worlds use NWNX to add custom features and the glitches not worked out yet.

Also there is a possibility that the current 1.69 may have to be switched to the 1.74.
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Number of posts : 2213
Registration date : 2010-07-11

Character sheet
Character Name: Charia/Arys
Race: Half-Elf
Overall Level: 30/30

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyAloura Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:06 pm

i also didn't see much of any information of multiplayer is that enhance going to be compatatible with what servers are already out or people going to have to make new servers or is the enhance not multiplayer at all

LadyAloura
Forum Courtier

Female Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2014-02-11

Character sheet
Character Name: Mialee
Race: Elf
Overall Level: 21

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:41 am

It is multiplayer as well and that is what is causing the delay. The majority of servers PW's use 1.69. The enhanced edition uses 1.74 patch. They trying to work to see if they can possibly be backwards compatible with the 1.69. Also there are complications with the interface and the NWNX program which allows PW's to create custom content.
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  heather Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:13 pm

yeck guess it's not really that friendly to server owners? x.x

heather
Forum Knight

Female Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2010-02-11

Character sheet
Character Name: Melinda Davis
Overall Level: 9

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:22 am

Yes.  It seems it can not handle a lot of custom content of the PW's.

Last edited by Animayhem on Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  GM_ODA Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:23 am

Friends,

We are aware of the NWN:EE being in development. It would be a minor matter to install NWN:EE on the server and offer our module in both versions simultaneously. As of this writing there are no funds available for us to experiment with the new version. If this changes, or if the company contacts us to send us two copies (one for Eriniel and one for me/server) I'd be happy to test our module with the new NWN:EE - but failing that, and due only to funding limits we will be giving this a miss for the foreseeable future.

edit to add : it looks like it will not break much if anything in our module (thanks to clean code and minimal hak packs).
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Male Number of posts : 3070
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Firkin Alechugger
Race: Dwarf
Overall Level: 11

https://web.archive.org/web/20151106073532/http://playnwn.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  LordSurge Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:57 am

I'm keeping my eyes on the NWN:EE progress.

Could be a new golden age for NWN if it works out well. Or at least a Silver age, heh.
LordSurge
LordSurge
Forum Knight

Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2010-11-19

Character sheet
Character Name: Zeff Trom
Overall Level: 40

Back to top Go down

Post  GM_ODA Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:42 pm

Friend LordSurge,

It is good to see you on the forum again! Welcome back.

I agree, NWN:EE could be a big boost to the NWN community... are you playing NWN lately?

GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  LordSurge Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:01 pm

Not much these days, little time and much to do.

Good to see this place is still ticking though.
LordSurge
LordSurge
Forum Knight

Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2010-11-19

Character sheet
Character Name: Zeff Trom
Overall Level: 40

Back to top Go down

Post  GM_ODA Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:10 pm

Friends,

I've received an email from a long time player here who sounds rather urgent and is waging very persuasive arguments. I'll share part of the remarkable email below:

from the email wrote:
ODA,

I am writing you this email to implore, nay, beg you to transfer the server to the new enhanced edition. I'm willing to provide copies free of charge to you [and] Erin ... I've seen the server lists and the new server browser and at the very least I've seen at least 5 new Player Worlds with active NEW communities, with at least 10 players on non peak hours. New players and new communities fueled by the functioning server browser and the new game. I see much potential with the new platform. We can't afford to split our meager playerbase but we can afford to bring them over into a new version that'll have an ample opportunity to recruit some new players.

Don't take my word for it, look for yourself.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I care to see this server flourish. An empty dohral is no fun for anyone.

From now through Saturday April 7th (midnight) I will be taking your input on this matter. Tell me, are you players ready/willing to update to NWN:EE? Who is in?

GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Ragdoll_Knight Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:33 pm

I very much like the idea of an EE server, and when I have funds to get it I will do so. I'm hoping Ani hasn't corrupted my home too much.
Ragdoll_Knight
Ragdoll_Knight
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Character sheet
Character Name: Tony
Overall Level: 32

Back to top Go down

Post  joo3 Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:57 pm

Ready and willing to join an EE server. From what I can tell it looks like plenty of the servers present before have made the jump. It's gonna be a bit of a bump for sure cause it's a new version and all but it'll be nice seeing something that hasn't happened for many years, and that's updates to NWN. NWN is currently #3 on steam and that's saying something, steam is the #1 sales platform for PC games. I think it'll a be a good thing.
joo3
joo3
Posting Knave

Male Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2013-01-14

Character sheet
Character Name: Gemli Phasa
Overall Level: 17

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyAloura Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:50 am

like i said oda if you go ee i will go ee as well i know one of my other server is already testing for it

LadyAloura
Forum Courtier

Female Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2014-02-11

Character sheet
Character Name: Mialee
Race: Elf
Overall Level: 21

Back to top Go down

Post  Vaasgoth Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:15 pm

I didn't play on the server long, but that is mostly cause after upgrading my PC the old NWN wouldn't play on it. I would love to see this server come back. I re-bought the game along with 5 other friend and we just love playing the game again after a nearly 12 year break for most of us. Even convinced a few buds to try it out for the first time. They also fell in love with it.

If you bring the server to EE I know I'll come back to play on it as well as attempting to convince my other buds to give it a try. Just thought i should make a post about it after getting the email.

Vaasgoth

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2012-10-07

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Overall Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  MrGrouch Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:14 am

Hello, I've returned to NWN with the new EE. I've never played on this server. I discovered it's existence due to a post on reddit in the NWN sub and read up on it by following the link provided. This server seems to be exactly what I am looking for. From what I read I feel as if this server is built for engaging roleplay while also enabling (risky) solo play for when the mood hits. More importantly, from what I read, I couldn't see any signs of DM egos. For this reason I would really like to try Argentum Regio. But I can't because I am using EE and not Diamond (I have Diamond, it just won't work for me on this computer) and get a version mismatch error.

I don't know if my words will have any weight as I am literally a non-player, but I really hope you convert to EE so I can try this place out.

Thanks for your time,

MrGrouch

MrGrouch

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2018-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post  GM_ODA Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:42 am

Friends,

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT.

Eriniel and I will be reviewing this thread and the 'whole matter of NWN:EE' later today (Sunday April 8th 2018) in some detail.

Personally, I am torn on this for several reasons. Of course, I love NWN, it has been great fun to build this server, to DM adventures here, to meet and interact with the thousands who have visited over the last decade plus. Still, making the switch to Neverwinter Nights : EE is a bit of a daunting challenge for us.

The pros : NWN:EE could spark a golden age for our server bringing in a good flow of new players and DMs as well as prompting some old players to return. NWN:EE could resolve some inherent limits from the prior version and enable us to create even more awesome content and controls for our favorite server.

The cons : Understand there are only two of us working on the project (Eriniel and I), and this is a module composed of a staggering number of systems and subsystems, and comprising 1337+ Areas. This all means there would be a great deal of testing to do, and some amount of debugging to follow up on that testing. We are running with minimal DM coverage too atm. We are operating without a web site currently (the web site brought in a vast number of players over the years). I wear man hats here, I am the forum management too. TLDR: this may put a great deal of strain upon what are already critically taxed resources.

I do love this project, and NWN, but I like to undertake projects that have a chance at success. What comes next is I have to gauge "do we have sufficient resources to have a reasonable chance of success in this?"

Please understand this is not a yes/no decision, it may be that 'now is not the time' simply because there seems to be a rapid release of updates from Beamdog and each update would necessitate that we update our server too... it may be deemed that waiting a while longer for the rapid patch releases to subside a bit.

There is much to consider, much for us to discuss. I imagine we'll come to some decision in the next 24 to 48 hours and we'll post our decision here in this thread.

THANK YOU for your input.

GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  GM_ODA Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:19 am

Friends,

Eriniel and I have had a discussion of the matter (possible migration to NWN:EE for our server).

Eriniel and I are willing to put in the effort provided some conditions are met.

Please understand that there are ONLY TWO OF US WORKING ON THE SERVER/MODULE. Especially with a module of this great size (1337+ areas, 210 megabytes file size) such an undertaking can be daunting. Eriniel and I are willing to put in the time to manage the migration, and host BOTH versions of the AR module on our leased server BUT it is important to note that the funding for the servers' lease is very nearly drained to zero.

WE NEED YOUR HELP.

We lease this server (rather than host from our home on a personal computer) because:

• The hosting company REPAIRS the leased machine AT NO CHARGE and within an hour (we have had almost no down time in more than a decade).

• The hosting company gives us access to a 100mbs connection, this is much faster than my home service and so HELPS TO AVOID LAG.

• The host machine can simultaneously SUPPORT UP TO FOUR MODULES of this size/scope without lag.

• Includes sophisticated and expensive server protection systems (details not disclosed here)... the sort I could not afford for my home rig.

• Professional hosting helps keep Eriniel and I, and our personal systems, from being the target of any miscreants who might target our community (weirdos are out there).

Neither Eriniel nor I have any money to invest in this server. We both do a great deal to make this server run and grow, but financial support we cannot extend to the project. As has been the case for the last several years, our community has always stepped up to cover the lease costs. The leased server and related services cost $58.00 per month. As of this writing, our coffers stand at $8.49, and the lease is due in less than 10 days.

Eriniel and I are willing to undertake the conversion of our module to NWN:EE and debugging and hosting of such on an ongoing basis on the condition that we see the funding level of the server improve to cover at minimum THREE MONTHS HOSTING. In plain language the community needs to donate to the server hosting fund so that we feel confident the server fees will still be available for  the next three months (a time-frame we feel will allow us to properly convert and stabilize the module in NWN:EE) : the community needs to click on the DONATE button and donate at minimum $174.00 to convince us that the conversion project can succeed. I do not want to have to worry about funding as I set to work on this massive task.

WHEN the donations total the specified minimum I will begin the process of converting the module to NWN:EE.

So find that donate button here on the forum and CLICK it already!  Show me you want this too.

I will personally guarantee the server will remain open through May 18th 2018 (spending all the remaining donations of $8.49 and augmenting that from my personal funds to cover that  final lease payment). If  you love this server like we do, if you want to see it converted to NWN:EE - you have about 40 days to make this happen.
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Vaasgoth Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:15 pm

Well, I can't do anything this month but next month I can drop in $100 at least. I would really love for this server to come back.

Vaasgoth

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2012-10-07

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Overall Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  joo3 Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:03 pm

I'll toss some in the kitty but it's gonna be a bit. US tax systems are sloooooooow
joo3
joo3
Posting Knave

Male Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2013-01-14

Character sheet
Character Name: Gemli Phasa
Overall Level: 17

Back to top Go down

Post  GM_ODA Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:36 pm

Friends,

I would like to open this post with a deeply heartfelt

THANK YOU TO OUR DONORS!

After my previous post, we received a number of pledges and donations from generous gamers. Some of these generous gamers have played here before and we appreciate that they appreciate what it is we have built here in this server. Some of these generous gamers have never played here at all but we appreciate that they appreciate what they see from our forum, wiki and archived website.

It is with gratitude that I state here - friends, this community ponied up more than the amount requested (three months worth of hosting) and both Eriniel and I are, in light of this guarantee that the server lights will stay on for the next 3+ months - we are initiating the process of getting a NWN:EE version of the module loaded onto the server.

Since I had, prior to the donations, been 'on the hook' for about fifty dollars in hosting to shoulder what would have been the 'last month' hosting for our server - now that we have funding for several months, I've opted to put $19.99 of my own money toward purchase of a copy of NWN:EE. I am examining that purchase over the next 48 hours and will follow post with a subsequent assessment of the path forward.

Thanks to YOU generous gamers, the server marches on, and we'll be adding EE support to our server asap. KUDOS to you all!

cheers
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  GM_ODA Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:12 am

Friends,

I want to keep you all 'in the loop' here so...

I posted a couple simple tech and license questions in the beamdog system. They had me repost them here...

looks like beamdog has a hefty backlog of bug-reports/questions to deal with before they get to mine.

I'll keep you posted on progress here, otherwise you can click the links above and monitor the situation yourselves.

I may install the software on my laptop here just to look at it for now... again, I'll keep you posted.

GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:23 pm

Not sure how custom your scripts are but some pws have had to use a" docker" to simulate running Linux in windows.
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:36 pm

Also I think they have not solved the intel integrated graph card issue.
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  GM_ODA Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:47 pm

Friend Animayhem,

Animayhem wrote:Not sure how custom your scripts are but some pws have had to use a" docker" to simulate running Linux in windows.

I'll clarify as I suspect you are not grasping the nature of the issue I'm having.

Running linux in a windows docker would not help. We have a linux server (not a windows server). We run linux because it is secure in ways windows is not. Scripts would have nothing to do with this really. I understand you can emulate linux in windows but that would mean running windows which is way less than secure and I won't waste my time trying to work with windows. Beamdog is advertising and offering linux support so we'll do this the linux way start to end. The hold-up here is nothing to do with linux.

My questions to Beamdog were

1) how many licenses do I need to run this legit for my server, my playing/dming system and for my build system. Under the old license the answer was TWO since you could run the server on a separate system per the terms of the old license.

2) how do I get this installed on my desktop windows system that never logs to the Internet.

ATM Eriniel and I are examining the install options.

It has been two weeks since I posted my help request with Beamdog and have received no solution as yet. This is disappointing especially since these are 'easy questions'.

I'll stay alert for any response that Beamdog cares to issue - but for now, I'm in a holding pattern.

GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down