Neverwinter Nights Multiplayer Server 24x7 Now with NWN and NWN:EE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vampire mechanical changes

2 posters

Go down

Vampire mechanical changes Empty Vampire mechanical changes

Post  kolde Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:27 pm

Alright... Posting this after a discussion in chat on the changes to a PC when they recieve vampirism:
Current: Str: +6 Dex: +4 Con: set to 3 Int: +2 Wis: +2 Cha: +4
Gains: Dodge, lightning reflexes, alertness, imp initiative, wep prof creature, +2 spot, +2 listen, undead traits

PnP: Str: +6 Dex: +4 Con: becomes non existant, granting no bonus or negative Int: +2 Wis: +2 Cha: +4
Gains: same as above, as well as All HD change to 12, Fast healing 5, DR 10/silver and magic,+6 nat AC, lvl adjust +8

These are just the major mechanical differences... I am curious what others views on this is and how to make it more closely resemble the PnP version.. As of now the massive loss of con is crippling... We were discussing the possibility of having con set to 10 to immulate the lack of any benifits or penalties from the vampire losing its constitution score

Last edited by kolde on Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

kolde
Posting Knave

Male Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2012-03-21

Character sheet
Character Name: Naomi Reaign
Race: Human
Overall Level: 16

Back to top Go down

Vampire mechanical changes Empty Re: Vampire mechanical changes

Post  saibotxor Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:39 pm

I think for the most part we should try and simulate pnp as much as possible, so con to 10 for no effect, fast healing 1/per 20% of htf bar for 5 when full, or tie it to last time the vampire fed(also think htf needs to slow down for all characters), DR 10/+1 or silver, level adjustment 4(8 seems extreme, and 4 was used on another server to decent effect), and +6 AC. I also think the faction system needs to be looked at, for everyone's benefit but especially vamp PCs.

saibotxor
Posting Knave

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2010-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post  kolde Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:42 pm

^^^^ What he said, though honestly in my opinion given the huge amount of bonuses a vampire recieves including the immunity to crits and sneak attacks, death spells and the obvious huge adjustment in stats I do not particularly think the +8 lvl adjustment is to far off

kolde
Posting Knave

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  saibotxor Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:46 pm

Also DR is shown on character sheet, but doesn't seem to work in game.

saibotxor
Posting Knave

Back to top Go down

Post  kolde Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:33 pm

I have also noticed the bottles of 'Fresh Human Blood' Do not work for neither thirst nor hunger

kolde
Posting Knave

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  saibotxor Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:31 pm

Just realized today while playing that the DR we have is for magic damage. Not sure how that compares to pnp, but still no melee DR.

saibotxor
Posting Knave

Back to top Go down

Post  kolde Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:58 pm

Alright.. after playing more I've noticed PC vampires lack some of the very basic undead immunities, sush as immunities to mind affecting spells, paralysis, crits and sneak attacks... Also the fast healing is quite buggy, and only seems to work against the opponent you are facing, not all. I understand that fast healing 5 is quite powerful of an ability at lower lvls and was implemented differently here, however you have to keep in mind at higher lvls and when enemies are doing 30-40 damage a round and you only have 300 hp, its not so overpowered anymore, especially when you take into consideration that the undead PC cannot simply chug down healing potions like a living char can.. I suggest that the fast healing is returned to how it should be that way we can at least have some way of running from battle and healing. I had a lvl 21 sorc vampire on another server, I can garantee that the 5 fast healing and the immunities do not make it overpowered from personal experience, they simply are quite strong at lower lvls, but once you get into the epic lvls it merely helps balance the fact that a undead character cant quite heal itself as other chars can by useables.

kolde
Posting Knave

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  saibotxor Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:04 pm

I've seen on another server where they compromised by making the fast healing not active by default, but activated when the vampire drank blood. But the lack of the immunities is pretty jarring and doesn't fit with pnp mechanics. Also they don't seem to have the fast movement like they should.

saibotxor
Posting Knave

Back to top Go down

Post  kolde Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:11 pm

Actually by PnP vampires do not have fast movement... thats just movies that give them that Razz . According to the PH the vampire retains the base speed it had in life.

kolde
Posting Knave

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  saibotxor Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:25 pm

Hmm, I was going by what another server did, my mistake.

saibotxor
Posting Knave

Back to top Go down

Post  kolde Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:49 pm

And... yet another suggestion to vampire.. Rather than have the normal attack be used for feeding (which at the moment seems random) Make a 'bite' widget for use for feeding and changing others into vampires... This falls more in line with PnP as well, since a vampires normal attack is just a physical slam attack dealing 1d6 damage and once a round giving 2 negetive levels on a failed save, where as there bite attack is a seperate attack dealing 1d4 con damage... either one can turn an opponent, but only if said attack actually kills the enemy.. not everytime it hits.

kolde
Posting Knave

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content