Neverwinter Nights Multiplayer Server 24x7 Now with NWN and NWN:EE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PK Rules - PLAYER INPUT REQUESTED

+5
Valerion
kain delvin
BobbyBrown15
Animayhem
GM_ODA
9 posters

Go down

PK Rules - PLAYER INPUT REQUESTED Empty PK Rules - PLAYER INPUT REQUESTED

Post  GM_ODA Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:27 pm

What PK rules would YOU like to see here.

Open discussion, share your ideas, don't be too critical of others, we want an open sharing here so we can synthesize a good solution please.

Be well. Game on!
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Male Number of posts : 3070
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Firkin Alechugger
Race: Dwarf
Overall Level: 11

https://web.archive.org/web/20151106073532/http://playnwn.com/

Back to top Go down

PK Rules - PLAYER INPUT REQUESTED Empty Re: PK Rules - PLAYER INPUT REQUESTED

Post  Animayhem Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:06 pm

What exactly does PK mean? Player Kill?
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Number of posts : 2213
Registration date : 2010-07-11

Character sheet
Character Name: Charia/Arys
Race: Half-Elf
Overall Level: 30/30

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyBrown15 Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:08 pm

yes Animayhem, PK= playerkill or permakill. It is the permanent end of a character.

the primary ones should be they have either permission form a DM or the player themselves, or both.

Another, which would likely be required for a DM permission, is to have completely valid IC reasons.

And lastly it should at the very least be fair. If they are a far lower lv than you then avoid a PK if you can.

However i would also like to add to my personal disliking to Permakilling any characters. It might just be that i came from a server that killed people left and right for no apparent reason other than the DMs were extremely find of conflict and pit people against eachother, this server however is nothing like that, and it is one of the many reasons i enjoy this server.

Last edited by BobbyBrown15 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
BobbyBrown15
BobbyBrown15
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 521
Location : Roseville, MN, USA (not online tuesdays, fridays or saturdays)
Registration date : 2012-09-28

Character sheet
Character Name: Vashan Wilkina
Race: Human
Overall Level: 28 Total (19 Sorc/9 RDD)

Back to top Go down

Post  kain delvin Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:16 pm

Well, i think there should be a rule that you have to give some sort of warning, no just randomly going up and stabbing someone. Even if this is creating another account, making an anonymous character, and send a tell to the person that they're being hunted/assassinated or something. take a screen of it, and viola. You keep the mysterious nature of your assassin, mysterious. And they know to be on the look out. But some sort of warning needs to be given, generally a lil in advanced but, if your planning it out, the above case works to.

Note: There are always exceptions and they are;

1. If your playing a monster as a pc, your always open to PK by non-monster pc's. This means, you cant be a goblin and expect not to get shot. This only applies, if the person knows your a monster. If your in disguise, they have to figure out what you are before your opened to PK.

2. Flaunting evil: If your massacring innocents, expect that paladin over there to smite you.

3. Flaunting good: If your that paladin denouncing all the evils of the world, expect that evil over there to stab you in the back to shut you up.

Basically, If your hostile(even indirectly) to someone, they have the right to retaliate. If it's questionable, that person should ask a dm first or better yet, give the warning, but it's not necessary. That's the dangers of being extremists, the other extremes will kill you.

kain delvin
Posting Knave

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2013-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:31 pm

Killing a player, as long as there is valid rp behind it is fine like in a battle.

Assassination on the other hand a bit tricky. In regards to this maybe a brief background story as to why your character should actually do the assassination or hirer one. If there is a sound reason then the assassin and the target as well as a dm should be on. Just because all are on at the same time does not mean it has to happen if the target some how can evade. If it does go down and the victim has a question on the action the dm can answer.
Or if discussion in game not quite right then mayhap ooc discussion via pm amongst the parties. This action would require honor on all parties as not to metagame with the knowledge.

Permadeath for the most part should be agreed to by the player behind the character.They have put time and effort into building them.

In one world I play on, you spawn in the netherworld and there are two pillars. One says return to world of the living and one says permanent death. If the player chooses that then their character becomes permenantly dead and is removed form the server.

In another world you go to the fugue plane after you have used up your saves.You are given options to go back and lose a percentage of your xp or you can kill the character and make a new one with half the level. meaning if you died a 6 you could remake a new character as a 3.
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  kain delvin Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:33 pm

i was just told PK = perma killing...like, the character dies forever. I didn't realise this. If that is indeed what Pk is supposed to be, then i dont see why rules need to be stated for it. players have alimited amount of lives to start with, soul runes. If they run out there perma'd as far as i know. So unless both players agree, i dont see a need for special rules for perma killing someone in a fight.

kain delvin
Posting Knave

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2013-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:34 pm

kain delvin wrote:

Note: There are always exceptions and they are;

1. If your playing a monster as a pc, your always open to PK by non-monster pc's. This means, you cant be a goblin and expect not to get shot. This only applies, if the person knows your a monster. If your in disguise, they have to figure out what you are before your opened to PK.

2. Flaunting evil: If your massacring innocents, expect that paladin over there to smite you.

3. Flaunting good: If your that paladin denouncing all the evils of the world, expect that evil over there to stab you in the back to shut you up.

Basically, If your hostile(even indirectly) to someone, they have the right to retaliate. If it's questionable, that person should ask a dm first or better yet, give the warning, but it's not necessary. That's the dangers of being extremists, the other extremes will kill you.

Very valid points.
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Valerion Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:39 pm

Very valid points indeed. will post my own opinion later on.
Valerion
Valerion
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 917
Registration date : 2011-12-24

Character sheet
Character Name: Valerion
Overall Level: 40

Back to top Go down

Post  Bumlader Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:00 am

When it comes to rules on player killing here is what you should do..As long as it isn't perma killing anyone it should be done ONLY if they have a valid Role Play reason to do it. .I find Perma Killing someone up to the players themselves, thus a DM should not step in with their opinion to have one's char perma killed.. It's up to the person who this is happening to.

If it's normal player killing and not a permanent death risk, then it should have a good reason to why they're doing it..Say if..A necromancer walks down the street and a person watches him/her summon a undead down the road, the person walks up to the necromancer and warns them, if they do not comply, they kill them..Then go off doing their daily routine. When and before PVP make sure the player gives an OOC warning that their going to attack, wait a few seconds so they can respond to it..then when ready..chase?

I don't know, I will post up a proper reply in the mo- nevermind, i'll post it up as soon as I get home from wooork.
Bumlader
Bumlader
Posting Knave

Male Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2013-01-02

Character sheet
Character Name:
Overall Level: 60

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyBrown15 Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:38 am

Bumlander...this is an RP server, if the necromancer was killed, he is dead unless someone bothers to revive him, respawning is a OOC thing.
BobbyBrown15
BobbyBrown15
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 521
Location : Roseville, MN, USA (not online tuesdays, fridays or saturdays)
Registration date : 2012-09-28

Character sheet
Character Name: Vashan Wilkina
Overall Level: 28 Total (19 Sorc/9 RDD)

Back to top Go down

Post  GM_ODA Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:58 am

See new entry on FAQ regarding death and dying.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Male Number of posts : 3070
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Firkin Alechugger
Race: Dwarf
Overall Level: 11

https://web.archive.org/web/20151106073532/http://playnwn.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Bumlader Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:45 am

GM_ODA wrote:See new entry on FAQ regarding death and dying.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thankya
Bumlader
Bumlader
Posting Knave

Male Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2013-01-02

Character sheet
Character Name:
Overall Level: 60

Back to top Go down

Post  Shar Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:54 pm

I don't like the idea of solely player run permakill..

Every sight i was on that had it ended up having massive problems in the long run because of it. PVP i am ok with but permakills should always need staff involvment to keep things IC and fair, as well as to keep emotions in line.
Shar
Shar
Forum Vizier

Number of posts : 1074
Registration date : 2012-01-15

Character sheet
Character Name: Ne'Sekoleth
Race:
Overall Level: 20

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:08 pm

Shar wrote:
Every sight i was on that had it ended up having massive problems in the long run because of it. PVP i am ok with but permakills should always need staff involvment to keep things IC and fair, as well as to keep emotions in line.

I agree.
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  heather Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:22 pm

not sure if maybe might want to think up something creative or alternative for saying how someone dies maybe... I think in the original campaign they "said" they pulled you away just before you died so you didn't even though it still did the death penalties I think... just mostly is hard or can be hard for some to actually rp out or figure out the dying and somehow being resurrected or brought back for some reason or another with the soul runes... did have case where I died and then when I came back there was the whole "you should be dead" thing... just kind of feels hard to rp or do much with to try explaining what happened and why you are back again?

don't know if others had that same trouble at all... was kind of thinking myself that the "bleeding" portion could be them trying to stay conscious, and then going unconscious when they "died" and then trying to make some reason to explain that part out... maybe a special magic system from one of the good temples trying to save whoever it can maybe pulls that person and brings them back before they truly died, or maybe something else for that particular character? did try to excuse off what happened last time as the college monitoring it's students and pulling them back just before they died for my character at the time... figure the soul runes could represent their "currency" before whatever is fails or some other explanation? and that real death is only when someone uses up all their soul runes?

well just thought would see... though then wouldn't quite know what to say about the death realm areas when those are expanded on and interactions there...

heather
Forum Knight

Female Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2010-02-11

Character sheet
Character Name: Melinda Davis
Overall Level: 9

Back to top Go down

Post  DM Drachen Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:47 pm

I'd like to see it required that you hostile the person before any PvP begins. By that, I mean click 'dislike' on playerlist.
DM Drachen
DM Drachen
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 683
Registration date : 2011-01-07

Character sheet
Character Name:
Overall Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:17 pm

DM_Dragon wrote:I'd like to see it required that you hostile the person before any PvP begins. By that, I mean click 'dislike' on playerlist.

Yep.
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Character sheet

Back to top Go down