Neverwinter Nights Multiplayer Server 24x7 Now with NWN and NWN:EE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Polyshape potion

4 posters

Go down

Polyshape potion Empty Polyshape potion

Post  Elgate Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:25 am

I tested out a polyshape potion that had been given to me a while back by a DM for testing (As my character Grace is a shifter, it was intended to be used for possible RP situations). However, I used it intending to take on the appearance of a purple worm, and instead mistimed it and took on the appearance of another pc- their character being male, the script could only alter grace's appearance so much (head change, colour of hair and skin change).

problem is, it hasn't worn off yet, while the potion description says it should only last 5 rounds- I've tried pel to no success. So, now I'm stuck with a totally different appearance for Grace.

I can hide it using the hood, and it doesn't affect the character too much (can role with the RP for now) but if a dm could help Grace revert back to her own face, that'd be great XD
Elgate
Elgate
Forum Sage

Female Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2011-01-31

Character sheet
Character Name: Grace Fennerset
Race: Human
Overall Level: 30

Back to top Go down

Polyshape potion Empty Re: Polyshape potion

Post  Elgate Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:34 am

After testing it out some more on Erin's recommendations, this is what I've seen happen:

The potion fails to wear off within 5 rounds.
Dropping the wand of misc tools fails to help.
Moderkain's disjunction and a bunch of other spells fail to dispell it.

The potion itself seems to only work on creatures of the same physical race (Eg, Grace physically appears human, so it only works on humans) and ideally only on the same gender. What it seems to do is get the skin and hair colour of the other person, and attempt to get the same head number- however, as the head numbers do not match up across race and sex, this can mean that I end up with no head.

trying it on other creatures, such as a kitten, failed to work. I just lost my head.
Elgate
Elgate
Forum Sage

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:32 am

I do not know if it is in this game, but there is an item I have seen else where called a Hood of Disguise which allows ploymorph but again only human(I think).

Is the polymorph potion simular script to the fey mushrooms?  From the failures of reversal that Elgate sighted are the same when you are polymorphed from it.

The baleful polymorph spell also is twitchy at least when and npc casts it. A'rys was hit with it and although supposedly "cured" she would morph unexpectedly.
I haven't tried it on PC's to see if they suffer the same effect.

When you are polymorphed, on the radial menu it gives you the option to unmorph in regards to the above however you can not.  

I suggest a timer maybe tied into the resting script by which you have to wait x amount of hours before you can.  

Or maybe have Pel or Temple priests and such able to remove it but lets say maybe in a few hours or so simular to the script the armorer uses.

Sometimes the only way it is removed if the oc is brought to near death and they are saved by their god or a dm tweak.

I am not suggesting an quick reversal as the morph is a lesson learned. :Dbut a reasonable amount of time is only fair. Very Happy
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Number of posts : 2213
Registration date : 2010-07-11

Character sheet
Character Name: Charia/Arys
Race: Half-Elf
Overall Level: 30/30

Back to top Go down

Post  Valerion Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:21 am

The Baleful Polymorph spell is only cured by death, afaik this is supposed to be so.
Valerion
Valerion
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 917
Registration date : 2011-12-24

Character sheet
Character Name: Valerion
Overall Level: 40

Back to top Go down

Post  Elgate Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:23 pm

And the polyshape potion (so far) has not added the 'polymorphed' effect to the player. Grace, being a shapeshifter, has an advantage in such cases, as she can polymorph into another shape, willing unshift from the shape, and thus remove the previous polymorphed shape (Which is what I do after eating fairy mushrooms- I can just undo it by shifting into another form).

I haven't tried dying yet (but would rather not), and Erin also suggested a Rakshasa spell (can't remember the exact name, to do with Rakshasa polymorphing). Sometimes other effects that didn't wear off properly (hair dyes for example) could be undone if another effect took place and was undone (hair dyes can be reveresed by being cursed by shadows/ghosts, going white, then going to a priest, restoring your hair to it's natural colour).

Edit: Also, I'm fairly sure I've seen Baleful polymorph undone by greater restoration. And again, I've managed to get out of a baleful polymorph using shifter abilities.
Elgate
Elgate
Forum Sage

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Animayhem Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:01 pm

Elgate wrote:And the polyshape potion (so far) has not added the 'polymorphed' effect to the player. Grace, being a shapeshifter, has an advantage in such cases, as she can polymorph into another shape, willing unshift from the shape, and thus remove the previous polymorphed shape (Which is what I do after eating fairy mushrooms- I can just undo it by shifting into another form).

I haven't tried dying yet (but would rather not), and Erin also suggested a Rakshasa spell (can't remember the exact name, to do with Rakshasa polymorphing). Sometimes other effects that didn't wear off properly (hair dyes for example) could be undone if another effect took place and was undone (hair dyes can be reveresed by being cursed by shadows/ghosts, going white, then going to a priest, restoring your hair to it's natural colour).

Edit: Also, I'm fairly sure I've seen Baleful polymorph undone by greater restoration. And again, I've managed to get out of a baleful polymorph using shifter abilities.

Yes but not all are shifters. All spells should be reversable without death and their length of duration should be managable as not to affect peoples rp and time they have in game.
Animayhem
Animayhem
Forum Oracle

Number of posts : 2213
Registration date : 2010-07-11

Character sheet
Character Name: Charia/Arys
Race: Half-Elf
Overall Level: 30/30

Back to top Go down

Post  Valerion Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:18 am

I disagree on that point to be honest, I think that some spells, specially considering their might and such, should have consequences that go beyond just a short time of duration, and it SHOULD affect their RP, if someone is hit with baleful *notice the name BALEFUL* polymorph, and he can just say, oh damn, I'll wait a few hours and everything will be strawberries again, I do not see the reason in usage of such spells, RP is nothing without consequence in my eyes, even if it is dire. Things should have meaning otherwise I might aswell go and play Pink fluffy Unicorns or something like that.

As for everything, this it but my humble own opinion.

I agree that MOST spells should have some special mean to reverse them, be it a potion, spell, or something noone really knows.

But some I think should end with death, of course one can be brought back, but there should be a reason why there is a certain "Fear" behind the usage or receivement of some.
Valerion
Valerion
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 917
Registration date : 2011-12-24

Character sheet
Character Name: Valerion
Overall Level: 40

Back to top Go down

Post  Elgate Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:20 am

Right, do we have a list of magical effects that currently can't be undone?

Polyshape potion is one (And is meant to wear off)

Effects that have obscure or difficult to achieve reversals:
- I've seen baleful polymorph undone by greater restoration (Or what ever that spell is that randomly turns people into children or cows). Naturally, you can't fix yourself, but it is possible to alter.

Other methods might be replacing the baleful polymorph with another polyshape effect (Like how shifters get out of it)- fairy dust maybe?

- Sheewandi (Fairy/ fey mushroom) This effect does wear off- but after a looong time. I've never seen it dispelled, but again, another polyshape effect should over write it.

-Spider silk cocoon. Easily undone- by another player. If the cocoon is not broken by another player, the player trapped in the cocoon is just that- trapped. Can't talk, can't message anyone, can't escape- logging off while trapped causes your player to crash...

I do agree that there should always be an obtainable fix- even if it's a DM magic wand or red button (In the case of accident accidently lycanthropy, for example), but like wise these spells are meant to cause havok and make things difficult.

Obviously, in a PnP game, for which most of these spells are designed, there will always be a game master present, who can just say the spell is done when needed, and provide the ingame means eventually. Also, it being PnP there is a bit more flexibility for RP. (You can say something happened and have the DM affirm it, rather than mess about with scripts)

In NwN, we do need to recognise that scripts can restrict RP to an extent. Also, there might not be a DM, or even other players, near by to help.
Elgate
Elgate
Forum Sage

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyBrown15 Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:42 am

Some spells like Val said are not meant to be reversed easily, but thats just it, easily, not impossible to remove, Baleful in the first place is hard to get to stick, and its meant to be near permanent, so a greater restoration or mords disjunction should be efficient to remove it, both are the highest level restore and remove spells in a mages or clerics arsenal, as well as having sufficient skill to remove it, and i think pel needs to be edited a bit as he cant seem to remove some of the wildmagic effects like he should be able to, his skill isnt high enough despite having enough levels to do so.

Polyshape potion from what i know has a reversal potion if i remember right, but it should be able to be dispelled by the same means as polymorph or shapechange

Being trapped in the cocoon should also be a STR based or DEX based check as well, STR to break out of it or DEX to dodge it, if you get stuck in it however, your stuck, as anyone would be.

as for the mushroom, yeah, no, its meant to be like that, your own fault for messing with a unknown fungus that could be poisonous, healthy, or a living thing that can try to eat you, its the dangers of a magical world.

Baleful is still in beta as well and should not be used on PCs at all in my opinion until its developement is finished, primarily its removal, vashan was at one time taught this spell by arys before i ended up getting my book reset somehow, it was a nasty spell and could not be reversed easily if at all without death, but sometimes not even death worked, using it on NPCs is fine, but dont use it on players without a DM present in my opinion, or you could ruin their PC.

And yes there should be a easy way for DMs to remove lyconthropy, as of this moment i dont think there is one, but for accidental infections from bugs or things that should not happen there needs to be a easy DM fix, whether a DM deems the incident is deemed enough for reversal however is debateable, getting infected OOCly by accident is one thing, by IC accident is another.
BobbyBrown15
BobbyBrown15
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 521
Location : Roseville, MN, USA (not online tuesdays, fridays or saturdays)
Registration date : 2012-09-28

Character sheet
Character Name: Vashan Wilkina
Overall Level: 28 Total (19 Sorc/9 RDD)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down