Neverwinter Nights Multiplayer Server 24x7 Now with NWN and NWN:EE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Booted upon selecting a character?

4 posters

Go down

Booted upon selecting a character? Empty Booted upon selecting a character?

Post  Nightcaper Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:59 pm

Hey there! I recently found out about this community and server, and was curious to try it, as it will be my first adventure in to NWN online play. I've roleplayed before, though I have no roleplay experience with NWN specifically. I got through the obsolete gamespy stuff, and directly connected to the server to make my character. I've finished making my character after quite a lot of thought in to how he'd be, how his abilities would reflect how I roleplay him, and such things. Then I clicked 'Play' when I was ready... and, I got an immediate boot message. I figured maybe it was just because I took too long creating the character, so I tried joining again, selected the character I just made, clicked Play... booted again. Tried this 2-3 more times until I gave up, and now I'm wondering why I keep getting booted, I've never been to this server before.

I have the Diamond edition of NWN, and CEP 2.4a installed (haks are in the haks folder, tlks are in the tlks folder). I don't believe I made any errors with installation, any ideas of why I'm unable to join? Question

I'm willing to provide any more information that is needed or requested. Thank you in advance for reading!

Nightcaper
Posting Knave

Male Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2015-04-08

Character sheet
Character Name: Curantis Wayward
Race: Human
Overall Level: 7

Back to top Go down

Booted upon selecting a character? Empty Re: Booted upon selecting a character?

Post  Valerion Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:23 am

First and foremost question, did you buy the game in an onlineshop, and if, where?
Valerion
Valerion
Forum Sage

Male Number of posts : 917
Registration date : 2011-12-24

Character sheet
Character Name: Valerion
Overall Level: 40

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightcaper Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:28 am

Neverwinter Nights Diamond Edition was bought from Good Old Games (gog). my username on Good Old Games is MrGamer100.

Nightcaper
Posting Knave

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Valerion Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:40 am

Ok that explains it, gog.com uses standard keys in every of their sold NWN versions, those keys have been bouncing around the net for a long time now, so they likely get picked up by security systems of servers and those systems see them as suspicious and therefore deny them entry, the keys are enough for installing it is just that they often get blocked out due to "many IP's using the same Key"

Solution:

Do write an e-mail to gog requesting a unique NWN Key, they comply pretty quickly most of the time, and then you likely will be good to go again.
Valerion
Valerion
Forum Sage

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightcaper Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:44 am

Ah ha, I see... I'll give that a shot. thank you for the help, and if all goes well I look forward to seeing you in the server!

Nightcaper
Posting Knave

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Valerion Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:02 am

Until then, good luck, and hope not to see ME! If you ever watched Babylon 5, my character pretty much is Mister Morden.
Valerion
Valerion
Forum Sage

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  GM_ODA Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:14 am

Welcome friends!

Yes, Valerion is on the right track here. I see from the server records that you are using the GOG standard key. These keys identify an individual player and help protect your set of PCs from others using them (or just mussing with you). On the page where you can access/download nwn from the gog.com site there IS a link (hard to spot but it is there) regarding the cd keys and if you follow the instructions there, they will email you a unique key. Once you have that info, you need to examine the file*

c:\NeverwinterNights\NWN\nwncdkey.ini

replace the existing keys with the new ones GOG sent you and you will be OK to login.

My apologies for the difficulties posed by our security system, it is there to keep all our PLAYERs' PCs safe from mischief.

* since it is a gog install it MIGHT be in a different folder ... iirc they install to a 'gog' folder so maybe something like this:

C:\GOG\NeverwinterNights\NWN\nwncdkey.ini

Hope this helps. please keep us posted on your progress. Hope to see you online soon!

GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Male Number of posts : 3070
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Firkin Alechugger
Race: Dwarf
Overall Level: 11

https://web.archive.org/web/20151106073532/http://playnwn.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightcaper Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:08 pm

GM_ODA wrote:Welcome friends!

Yes, Valerion is on the right track here. I see from the server records that you are using the GOG standard key. These keys identify an individual player and help protect your set of PCs from others using them (or just mussing with you). On the page where you can access/download nwn from the gog.com site there IS a link (hard to spot but it is there) regarding the cd keys and if you follow the instructions there, they will email you a unique key. Once you have that info, you need to examine the file*

c:\NeverwinterNights\NWN\nwncdkey.ini

replace the existing keys with the new ones GOG sent you and you will be OK to login.

My apologies for the difficulties posed by our security system, it is there to keep all our PLAYERs' PCs safe from mischief.

* since it is a gog install it MIGHT be in a different folder ... iirc they install to a 'gog' folder so maybe something like this:

C:\GOG\NeverwinterNights\NWN\nwncdkey.ini

Hope this helps. please keep us posted on your progress. Hope to see you online soon!

Thank you, both of you. I got my keys up and running, and after even more technical difficulties with NWN (I had to rename the main executable to get it to work again after swapping the keys and running Kingmaker, what a strange program!) I have tried to join the server. It must be passworded or something, I'm not able to join, prompts me for a player password. I give what I think my password was when I last tried joining, but it sticks its tongue out at me and denies me access. Server shows in red lettering. Sad

Nightcaper
Posting Knave

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyAloura Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:06 pm

when the server is red it's rebooting so no one is allowed in, once it's done it will turn blue and that's when any one can join no password needed

LadyAloura
Forum Courtier

Female Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2014-02-11

Character sheet
Character Name: Mialee
Race: Elf
Overall Level: 21

Back to top Go down

Post  Valerion Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:21 am

When the server is passworded it is either just being restarted, updated, sometimes it takes a bit longer in case an update acts up, so it has nothing to do with your side, once it is open again you should be able to enter.
Valerion
Valerion
Forum Sage

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  GM_ODA Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:24 am

Friend Nightcaper,
My apologies for the bad timing, we are having technical issues with the server at this time, we'll get that resolved later today.

KUDOS to you for getting your nwn issues resolved, with luck we'll meet on the server later today.

GM_ODA
GM_ODA
Forum Oracle

Male Number of posts : 3070
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Character sheet
Character Name: Firkin Alechugger
Race: Dwarf
Overall Level: 11

https://web.archive.org/web/20151106073532/http://playnwn.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightcaper Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:46 am

The issue seems resolved and I've been able to successfully play. Wow, what a server! I'll definitely tell any friends I have who are interested in getting in to NWN about this place! I think I'll be hanging around for quite a while to come! Thank you for all the help here on the forums and in the game! Very Happy

Nightcaper
Posting Knave

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down